Proof marks/choke

PotHunter96

11 minutes ago, PotHunter96 said:

I can’t make anything out apart from the 2.5 inch, it’s just I have some 34 gram 67mm cartridges and I’m wondering if they’d be a bit much for it 

Have they got any pressure limits given on the box?

The 67mm is OK and your working pressure limit is 3 tons/sq". Just in case you're not aware this is not the proof pressure which would be some 25 to 30% ISH above that and you're looking for 850 bar minimum.

Looks like the gun was originally proofed at 13/1 (.719) or 13 (.710) under the1925 rules of proof, was reproofed in 1966 under the 1954 rules of proof at .729, for 2 1/2inch (65mm) cartridges, I wouldn’t use more than 32g game loads through it (28 or 30g would be my choice) I don’t know what the obscured marks were originally showing? be careful using 67mm HV cartridges, they can be uncomfortable to shoot due to excessive recoil, I imagine it was originally choked for game shooting.

The gun has at some time failed proof and the marks were defaced by the proof house. It was later repoved at 2&1/2" which equates to 1&1/8 oz load. 

The 30 and 36 are meaninless marks put on by some gunsmith to identfy the gun for his records , it was common practice in the Birmingham trade as the shop that had the gun may of had 50/60 guns in at a time and parts of it may have been with several diferent people at various times . . As to "choke"  this relates to earlier proof and is irrelevent . What chokes it had originally and what it is now may be two diferent things and the only way of knowing is to measure it .

If you do not have a chamber gauge, then your best bet is to take it to a local gunsmiths/shop and get the chamber length and chokes confirmed, having said that and looking at the proof marks of 3 ton per square inch and chamber length marked 2.1/2 inch you will be good with anything at that length and up-to 1.1/8, it will shoot nice all day with something around the 1oz mark.

If you look carefully at the photo you will see what appears to be  the word sleeved stamped on the side of the barrel above the bar . This was the practice in the earlier days of sleeving .The Proof date RB is 1966 .

Not quite sure when they started to stamp on the flats but it was in the mid 70'sas far as I remember .

At one point in the 90's London stopped stamping sleeved for a couple of years  adding a reproof mark for some reason but started again soon after .

Proof houses sometimes missed marking sleeved if the joints were so good as not be seen and the submitter did not declare it as so , in an attempt to pass the gun off as original .