19/07/02

wymberley

OK, it's a bit like a sat nav, you don't need it but if you can afford it it's handy and saves some hassle. Previous threads have somewhat slated the Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay watches. I bought mine as per the Title which probably means that the battery/capacitor/call it what you will is some 18 years old. The watch has performed faultlessly in all that time until yesterday when it became obvious that the battery was letting go.. Don't waste your money was the consensus of opinion regarding replacing it. I can see the point of this as some were failing after just a few years for whatever reason. I've just been quoted £65 to have this done. I think I can swallow that as I shan't be here I don't think the next time it's required.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

OK, it's a bit like a sat nav, you don't need it but if you can afford it it's handy and saves some hassle. Previous threads have somewhat slated the Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay watches. I bought mine as per the Title which probably means that the battery/capacitor/call it what you will is some 18 years old. The watch has performed faultlessly in all that time until yesterday when it became obvious that the battery was letting go.. Don't waste your money was the consensus of opinion regarding replacing it. I can see the point of this as some were failing after just a few years for whatever reason. I've just been quoted £65 to have this done. I think I can swallow that as I shan't be here I don't think the next time it's required.

£65 is a bit steep! I had my Seiko kinetic watch battery changed a few months ago at a local jeweller, supply and fit genuine seiko battery.......£20!

Checked receipt it was January 2019!

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

£65 is a bit steep! I had my Seiko kinetic watch battery changed a few months ago at a local jeweller, supply and fit genuine seiko battery.......£20!

Checked receipt it was January 2019!

Where I bought the watch has closed due to retirement and that leaves me with Hobson's. Until today apparently: the wife came home this evening saying that a somewhat tasty looking jewellers had just opened up in the closed shop. I'll get another quote from them but as I'm also seeing figures of c£125, I'll accept the £65 if needs be.

Thanks for the heads up.

I have a Junghans radio controlled watch.  I bought it from a Junghans dealer about 15 years ago - and it needs a new battery roughly every two years.  The dealer fitted one whilst I waited for a very few pounds (if I remember right, well under £5) inside a few minutes.  Sadly the dealer retired - and on contacting Junghans, I was given the names of other dealers - who were all some distance away and wanted a minimum of many tens of pounds, or Junghans themselves would also do it for a king's ransom level of fee.

No local place would do it as they are wary of its radio controlled aspect and it's glass back.  In the end I took a (small!) chisel to it (it has a 'pop off' back), opened it (it was a very tight fit) and found the battery, got one on ebay for about a pound, and put all back together.  Job done.  I have now done this twice with no problems.

Edited by JohnfromUK

7 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have a Junghans radio controlled watch.  I bought it from a Junghans dealer about 15 years ago - and it needs a new battery roughly every two years.  The dealer fitted one whilst I waited for a very few pounds (if I remember right, well under £5) inside a few minutes.  Sadly the dealer retired - and on contacting Junghans, I was given the names of other dealers - who were all some distance away and wanted a minimum of many tens of pounds, or Junghans themselves would also do it for a king's ransom level of fee.

No local place would do it as they are wary of its radio controlled aspect and it's glass back.  In the end I took a (small!) chisel to it (it has a 'pop off' back), opened it (it was a very tight fit) and found the battery, got one on ebay for about a pound, and put all back together.  Job done.  I have now done this twice with no problems.

Oh, how I wish!

I used to have quite high hand skills but to give you an idea, last night having made 3 failed attempt to log in I had to wait 14 minutes before I could try yet again to get onto PW so knocked it on the head until this morning - damned arthritis.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Oh, how I wish!

I used to have quite high hand skills but to give you an idea, last night having made 3 failed attempt to log in I had to wait 14 minutes before I could try yet again to get onto PW so knocked it on the head until this morning - damned arthritis.

Sorry to hear.  It is a bit of a risk doing it yourself - but so many places are a rip off for simple tasks like battery replacement. 

If it is a cheap nondescript chinese watch - it costs a fiver, but if it is a more prestigious name, £25 and up - despite the actual battery used being identical.  If it happened to be a 'big' name - maybe something like a Rolex Oysterquartz - no doubt it would be more still.

Hi

May I suggest that it is not just a case of changing the battery/capacitor - it needs to checked for water resistance too - would be worth asking if they are pressure testing after replacing whatever, if not too important then fair enough - but a 'drowned' sentimental watch will irk............

Fellah in Bolton did mine for less than half your 65 - postage (back) included. The watch is circa 15-20yrs old so I was not too particular re its diving ability.

L

Edited by Loki
Spelling

1 hour ago, Loki said:

Hi

May I suggest that it is not just a case of changing the battery/capacitor - it needs to checked for water resistance too - would be worth asking if they are pressure testing after replacing whatever, if not too important then fair enough - but a 'drowned' sentimental watch will irk............

Fellah in Bolton did mine for less than half your 65 - postage (back) included. The watch is circa 15-20yrs old so I was not too particular re its diving ability.

L

Many thanks. No problem as the nearest to any liquid it gets is my pint. I'm still looking at prices locally but I do like to support the local shops provided they're not extortionate. I've just dug out the "5" which has been lying in a drawer since I got the Kinetic. Even if there ever were any, I don't have any spare 'links' for the stainless strap  which is now too short and a very nice leather one has just now arrived from the 'A' place which has changed the look of the watch for the better - and then some. Once fitted so I have one to use, I'll take the kinetic somewhere to be done.