Binoculars

Hi All

i know this this has probably been asked before but

i am looking for a not stupid money binoculars to keep in the truck for mainly pigeon recon.

Like the sound / reviews for the Vortex diamondback do I get the 8x42, 10x42 or go for the 10x50.

your opinions would be much appreciated, I'm an old *** at 65 so eyes not what they used to be cheers Smokey

13 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes it has been asked before!

Go and do the rounds of your local charity shops, they often have some reasonable glasses at reasonable prices.

Cheers Tightchoke 

Cheers Alan 

10 minutes ago, alan123shooting said:

I have a pair of 10/50  diamondbacks I use for stalking, can’t fault them, my old mince pies aren’t what they were, very clear optics   go with the larger size also lifetime warranty can’t be bad  

Cheers Alan 123

A few points;

For low light, bigger objective (front) lens allows more light as in say 8 x 50, the underlined figure being the objective size.  For normal daylight use, 8 x 40 will be just as good and lighter to carry, but at dawn, or dusk, 8 x 50 will be slightly better.

The difference in magnification between 8 x and 10 x is slight - and I prefer the wider field of view given by 8 x.

If you wear glasses and intend to wear them using the binos, - you need a binocular with decent 'eye relief'.  This is the distance from the eyepiece to the actual eye.  Less than about 15mm doesn't work well with glasses.  Easiest way is to try them.  Not enough eye relief restricts the field of view (try moving the binoculars slightly away from the eye and you will see what I mean).

As has been said, second hand and charity shops can give excellent value.

My personal choice for everyday is a high quality 8 x 20 as they are so light to carry, pocketable and convenient, but 8 x 32, or 8 x 40 would be other choices.  I would only go to 8 (or 10) x 50 if I needed low light capability. (I have a pair of very good 10 x 50s I hardly ever use as they are heavy and mainly unnecessary).

17 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes it has been asked before!

Go and do the rounds of your local charity shops, they often have some reasonable glasses at reasonable prices.

hello, just about right TT my last pair were 1970s made in  japan £5, could have bought 3 pairs on Oxford market today a fiver each, not the best glass but good enough to have decoying

• 3 months later...