How much rib should you see?

Lloyd90

Was in Avalon's new shop today at Mendip shooting ground having a browse at some of their lovely guns, I spoke with one of the staff (Tony I think) who was a lovely bloke, and had a chat and look at a Miroku MK38 trap shotgun, and had a look at how it fit, he advised you should see plenty of rib and as it had a double bead I could see a good figure of 8 lined up. 

I said that I normally shoot a silver pigeon (Sporter), and he said he finds them very low in the comb, and some people see very little or no rib at all ... I said I often don't see a lot of rib but a bit, and he said that you should have a good view of the rib.

I have never really been told by anyone how much rib you should even see... 

I was now therefore wondering how much you should see, and if I need to see more, how to raise the rib? 

Has anyone used one of these cheek protectors / comb raisers? 

I am planning on shooting the gun like a pattern plate and see how it goes... I've had it a long while but never really got round to that lol ... also I will be going back on the weekend to shoot that trap gun... and the new Beretta 694 demo gun :D 

These are the raisers I have seen if needed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beretta-Cheek-Protection-Outdoor-Shooting/dp/B009PTRXQG?th=1&psc=1 

Beretta Silver Pigeons are low in the comb which suits some people. Not me I haven’t shot better than when I switched to a 682X trap gun use it for everything now and it’s been a marked improvement. I tried those beretta gel raisers on my Perazzi made a bit of difference but not as much as the 682. 

I see plenty of rib but as it has a Monte Carlo stock it’s parallel and I like the head up position. 

Edited by Wingman

Lloyd forget how much rib so long as you can see the bead you can see over the action.

Pattern it and see where it shoots, if it's exactly where you point great. The rib thing is a guide only.

K80 with figure of eight sight picture shot stupidly high. Beads had to be lined up one behind the other. Much the same with my Benelli SuperSport.

Traditionally trap guns would be slightly higher showing plenty of rib, sporter's would be lower showing a bit of rib and a perfect 8 if you have a mid and end bead, and skeet guns would be flatter showing little rib if any at all. 

Like with anything it comes down to personal preference and how you shoot. I much prefer my guns to have two beads, but I know others who take them straight off leaving no beads at all. My browning sporter is my go to gun for game shooting especially when on the peg, originally with a sporter stock and forend but I have also done my own game stock which comes up a bit lower putting both beads dead in line. I have also had good success with browning skeet guns when rough and walked up shooting, or pigeons from the hide, still quite flat shooting. 

One gun I shot with that did show plenty of rib was a Funken grade 5. I thought it may have been a little too high for me but on one particular drive I was a walking back gun, the keeper told me to hang back as the odd bird comes this way. At the start of the drive he let his (some what unruly) dog off, which ran straight to the end of the cover, spun round, and sent bird after bird straight back over me. They were pretty much all head on and I had 5 or 6 on the bounce for as many carts. Whether it was the slightly higher point of aim on them driven birds or just the fact that I didn't have time to think about the shot that produced success, I don't know. 

I shot a lot of DTL back in the 60s and 70s and had a O/U with double bead. As Tightchoke says when actually shooting I am not aware of actually aiming, but that gun fitted me perfectly and if I looked when mounting the gun, then those beads made, as you say, a figure eight and I knew the gun was mounted correctly after that I ignored them and looked at the bird.

Still do.   Mount the gun as you would on DTL and if those beads sit like that I would say spot on ...for me.  I used to dry mount in my lounge so it and my skeet guns came up naturally without thinking about it , because once I start thinking I start missing:yes::sad1:    Final check is on a pattern plate at 35 40 yrds and see where it prints sitting like that. We are all built differently so you may need to adjust.

a trap gun figure of 8 see all of the rib as shooting a rising target ,  a sporter/ game gun the last four or five inches of rib should give a 60 40 pattern slightly high my preferred pattern on all my guns and then aim/ look at your target if your gun stock fits you will be more efficient in all disciplines in vermin / game,  by shooting where the target will be  i  have watched really good down the line shooters wheels fall off on a really windy/ gusty  day when targets are not the norm and  a sporting shooter will win as his gun shoots where he is looking   (gun fit is important ) on any moving target  and you never look for a bead concentrate on the target whatever it may be      ( you cant hit a ball if you are looking at the batt )

Not sure there’s any hard and fast rules to be honest; I’d say it’s all down to personal preference. Much depends on fit and the type of gun. I see a lot of rib on trap guns but not much at all on sporters with no adjustable comb. 

Whether you’re completely focussed on the target or not, you do see the rib/barrel in your peripheral vision, and more importantly where it is in relation to that target. If you didn’t, you wouldn’t know when to pull the trigger. There are certain targets which need to be blotted out ( if you weren’t aware of the rib/barrel, how would you know when the target was blotted out ? )  others need to be sat right above that rib/barrel when you fire. 

If you weren't aware of the rib/barrel, would a ‘wrong’ master eye be an issue? 

shotgun shooting is all about intercepting a moving target / gun fit is extremely impotent as  it looks where you are looking  /  so If you can take as many variables out of the equation as possible  (keep it on line shoot  in front)  its all about forward lead,   stay with one shell for everything  the less you have to think about  makes you more consistent  (on a clay shoot so many targets are lost before getting on the stand /right shot size / 28g v 24g load choices not to mention / cylinder or half choke  or 1/4 )  confused /// keep it simple   half choke gives the most consistent pattern at all ranges/   a 6 to  7/1/2 shot size will do the job  no problem,  whatever the target,   but stick with one shot load  the rest is down to you ( keep it simple)  don't over think shooting , all you have to do is intercept the target consistently and by keeping everything consistent  you will get there happy hunting

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:25, welshwarrior said:

Don’t over think it.  

don't  over think shooting / it         strange not long ago shooting dynamics etc were used   bla bla  ,  would need lessons with a good instructor  bla bla    ,       where on a clay ground   an  all round good shot would steer you to hit targets  regardless ,    a decent gunmaker  Wisemans of Cannock or similar could fit your gun to your stature  to look where you are shooting,,    the rest is down to the pilot  just proves what I have said for years,   if your gun fits  you have reduced variables  its pointing in the right direction the rest is down to you , and the ability to adapt to a target on a given  day fast or slow  windy or not 20 to 45 yrds  is down to the pilot , comes from the ability to adapt to the given days conditions  /shooting different grounds  woodlands or open farmland  experience  is key  as special distance markers are different so keep it simple  /all you have to do is place the shot to intercept a moving target  consistently   if you think gun fit is unimportant try shooting ducks or geese after dark when you cant see your gun ,    but only a silhouette of your prey  with no distance markers over water   

don't over think it  ,, shotgun shooting is simple let your target run into your shot at 45 yrds or less ,,  practice makes perfect,   leaving your in the safe  from last season doesn't work,  is why clay shooting was invented  , keep sharp for the glorious 12  and onwards          practice and adapting to conditions helps  if you missed the first pair change what you are doing  if second pair works keep doing that  ( my moto if it doesn't work change what you are doing) have heard  so many guys gave it  3 ft lead on  10 targets  0 in the bag when I gave them 12 ft lead   8 in the bag  sometimes people don't know lead  at   distance///  this only comes from experience 

Edited by Saltings

4 hours ago, Saltings said:

don't  over think shooting / it         strange not long ago shooting dynamics etc were used   bla bla  ,  would need lessons with a good instructor  bla bla    ,       where on a clay ground   an  all round good shot would steer you to hit targets  regardless ,    a decent gunmaker  Wisemans of Cannock or similar could fit your gun to your stature  to look where you are shooting,,    the rest is down to the pilot  just proves what I have said for years,   if your gun fits  you have reduced variables  its pointing in the right direction the rest is down to you , and the ability to adapt to a target on a given  day fast or slow  windy or not 20 to 45 yrds  is down to the pilot , comes from the ability to adapt to the given days conditions  /shooting different grounds  woodlands or open farmland  experience  is key  as special distance markers are different so keep it simple  /all you have to do is place the shot to intercept a moving target  consistently   if you think gun fit is unimportant try shooting ducks or geese after dark when you cant see your gun ,    but only a silhouette of your prey  with no distance markers over water   

don't over think it  ,, shotgun shooting is simple let your target run into your shot at 45 yrds or less ,,  practice makes perfect,   leaving your in the safe  from last season doesn't work,  is why clay shooting was invented  , keep sharp for the glorious 12  and onwards          practice and adapting to conditions helps  if you missed the first pair change what you are doing  if second pair works keep doing that  ( my moto if it doesn't work change what you are doing) have heard  so many guys gave it  3 ft lead on  10 targets  0 in the bag when I gave them 12 ft lead   8 in the bag  sometimes people don't know lead  at   distance///  this only comes from experience 

I’d always recommend lessons with a good instructor it rectifies simple things like foot work gun mount that make big differences if they are wrong.  A good instructor will tell you where and why your missing and how to correct it, this leads to a image library of good shots that the brain can apply to other shots.  

Gun fitting is incredibly useful if the person can mount the gun consistently.  

As to ‘how much rib should I see’ don’t over complicate things as it will depend on the type of gun, rib, shooting and shooter. 

55 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

I’d always recommend lessons with a good instructor it rectifies simple things like foot work gun mount that make big differences if they are wrong.  A good instructor will tell you where and why your missing and how to correct it, this leads to a image library of good shots that the brain can apply to other shots.  

As to ‘how much rib should I see’ don’t over complicate things as it will depend on the type of gun, rib, shooting and shooter. 

Since you helped me at catton with that cheek riser I have to say my shooting has improved so much that it’s doubled my kill ratio

21 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

Hey that’s harsh I only stood with you for one drive, it’s all we could achieve in that 15 mins think what an hour could do 😜

I had 10 shots for 6 duck and a goose last week and that’s down to the 15 minutes off you helping.

id love an hours tuition one day dude

14 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

100%

On 05/10/2019 at 18:42, Harnser said:

If you are aware of how much rib you can see when taking a shot then you proberbly poking . That bird that sneaks into the decoys and you throw the gun at it and kill it clean you won’t be seeing any rib or bead .

harnser

Exactly. The same with that sudden appearnce over a narrow ride in a wood, poor instinct. The better the fit the better the result.