Yet Another Wealthy Landowner usurps the law.

TIGHTCHOKE

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I understand why the council is concerned , but really is it an eyesore? its at the end of a lane and appears only able to be seen from the viewpoint the foto was taken and with the help of some quick growing trees it would not be seen in a couple of years..

Let him keep it but make him pay for the privilege. A really hefty fine and reprimand in my opinion would be suffice.  

1 minute ago, peck said:

I understand why the council is concerned , but really is it an eyesore? its at the end of a lane and appears only able to be seen from the viewpoint the foto was taken and with the help of some quick growing trees it would not be seen in a couple of years..

Let him keep it but make him pay for the privilege. A really hefty fine and reprimand in my opinion would be suffice.  

I agree - the fine should be the estimated cost to put the land back to as it was - + 50% plus use of ramp for local kids :D

The council would normally charge him  around £30 k  just to grant the permission .they are annoyed cos they havent been able to screw him out of the money for the permission,. For doing nothing .

So now they either want him to pay extra or knock it down .

How it looks and its environmental impact has nothing to do with it .

To put this into perspective, it might help to scroll down the link to, "more on this story" which will help explain where the local councillors are coming from.

Sooner or later the foggy dews will realise too late what they have done and having ruined the landscape which was the reason they moved in the first place, will move on elsewhere leaving the locals to put up with their mistakes.

I simply don't know about this so will pass no comment other than to point out that the application is beyond a tree line which one might think is/was the property's natural boundary.

For those who are not familiar with the area and do not understand, then this kind of development is insidious and we would liken it to the oft heard phrase which sorely affects us - death by a thousand cuts

40 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

This makes me so angry.  Why in the world does someone have the right to destroy someone’s else’s property.  

What would you do if one morning you woke up to find some realtor (I think that's right) had built some 10.000 houses in the most scenic parts of the Yellowstone?

2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

The council would normally charge him  around £30 k  just to grant the permission .they are annoyed cos they havent been able to screw him out of the money for the permission,. For doing nothing .

So now they either want him to pay extra or knock it down .

How it looks and its environmental impact has nothing to do with it .

£30K I take it you understand these sort of things but £30K really, when I applied for planing consent years ago for something I seem to recall it being about £30 so how does it get multiplied by 1000.

I googled these specific developments and found the rules as detailed bellow and can only find with possibly two exceptions marked with * no reason for him to comply.

Planning consent for tennis courts…

Under normal circumstances, the construction of a tennis court does not require planning permission in the gardens behind a private house.

The planning rules for tennis courts come under and are specifically mentioned in the general rules for outbuildings which state that an enclosure below a height of three metres does not require planning consent.

There are just six reasons why you would need planning permission for a tennis court.
The house is listed.
*Permitted development rights have been removed.*
*The house is in an area of outstanding natural beauty or national park.*
Significant civil engineering works are required.
It would be more than 50% of the garden,
It is not in the garden

Garages, sheds and other outbuildings

Outbuildings such as sheds, garages, greenhouses and some other structures are also considered to be permitted development. You can build a garage or outbuilding on your property without planning permission as long as it’s of a reasonable size – no higher than 4 metres. Do bear in mind though that outbuildings cannot take up more than half of the land around the original property. There are as always exceptions where planning permission is necessary so contact your Local Planning Authority or visit the Planning Portal for further details of planning exemptions for outbuildings.

Raised Platforms

Skate ramps do not need permission if there is no "deck" as this comes under the raised "verandas, balconies or raised platforms" category 

To find out more about planning issues, visit the planning portal, a government planing advice website.

46 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

We are building a house on private land at the moment and the council want £26k just to grant permission .

What? You cannot pay the Council to grant planning permission. You can make an application which would normally be £462 for each 75m2 of a new dwelling house it must be a huge house / palace 🙂 

Edited by oowee

4 hours ago, wymberley said:

To put this into perspective, it might help to scroll down the link to, "more on this story" which will help explain where the local councillors are coming from.

Sooner or later the foggy dews will realise too late what they have done and having ruined the landscape which was the reason they moved in the first place, will move on elsewhere leaving the locals to put up with their mistakes.

I simply don't know about this so will pass no comment other than to point out that the application is beyond a tree line which one might think is/was the property's natural boundary.

For those who are not familiar with the area and do not understand, then this kind of development is insidious and we would liken it to the oft heard phrase which sorely affects us - death by a thousand cuts

What would you do if one morning you woke up to find some realtor (I think that's right) had built some 10.000 houses in the most scenic parts of the Yellowstone?

In yellow stone as in taxpayer purchased land?  Or on his private property?  Two completely different answers.  

Tricky one this in my opinion. I believe anyone should be able to build anything they want in their own land....up to a point. But where do we draw a line, and whose decision should it be?

I don’t have a lot of respect for today’s planning department, or the prices they charge, nor can I figure out their logic most of the time, but I do know money and ‘connections’ make a difference. 🙂

We wouldn’t have many of the magnificent buildings we have today in the UK if planning had been an issue. 

47 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

In yellow stone as in taxpayer purchased land?  Or on his private property?  Two completely different answers.  

The area in question over here is defined as an "Area Of Outstanding Natural Beauty" which I figure so would Yellowstone. When you take into account that England's land mass is the same as Alabama but our population is 66.5m as opposed to Alabama's 4.9, it becomes obvious that without regulation we're in with a pretty good chance of messing things up. TC's last post is on the button. No matter who actually owns what, some form of regulation is essential to conserve our heritage for those who come after us. Once it's concrete and bricks it's gone forever. I do agree that no system is perfect.

14 hours ago, wymberley said:

England's land mass is the same as Alabama but our population is 66.5m as opposed to Alabama's 4.9, it becomes obvious that without regulation we're in with a pretty good chance of messing things up.

I actually just looked that up.  I never realized that England was so small.  Still doesn’t change my thoughts.  You guys need to fire up that navy and get more land mass.  

2 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I actually just looked that up.  I never realized that England was so small.  Still doesn’t change my thoughts.  You guys need to fire up that navy and get more land mass.  

😂We had loads of land, but the immigrants kept kicking us out! 

Edited by Scully