Redwings

twenty

7 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Great - surely thousands must die in the UK now that farmers have decided that Autumn is a great time to cut hedges back - along with the fruit and berries that they hold.

Yeah it is a shame when they do that, but the hedgerows around here are laden with berries this year, I have only ever found one dead migrant thrush in all my years in the countryside, and there was no evidence of starvation, their breeding season is in  Iceland, Scandinavia  or the Baltic, so the UK must seem  a good winter location compared to what feeding would be left in the Subarctic.  

They do like ripe apples as well as berries. Had a few in my orchard last year.   My roadside hedge is 14-15ft high and I only cut two thrids of the side, leaving the top to flower and produce berries.  Pity more farmers don't do this, partuclarly those who have any partridge shooting.   A very strong wind on Tuesday afternoon would have pushed them south I think, but the 'experts' will come out blaming global warming.