Disaster

Hi all,

The farm where our shoot is has let out all land, about 1000acres for maize to two different people, they said they will leave cover crop for us, one man started cutting them stopped because of rain, the other has gone bankrupt, leaving g is with the biggest cover crop ever about 800 acres, help what do we do now?. Birds are coming back to lens for now but for now long with all that corn about.

Neil.

If its going to remain standing for the entire shooting season, and you can do with it as you will, I would suggest clearing some flushing points within the crop and driving the birds to these areas, hopefully you can get them up, and on their way back towards the pen (s).

Also could do with driving a suitable vehicle through the crop to flatten some zig zag rides, put some feeders along these rides if the maize has not dropped over.

If you cannot touch the crop..........good luck.

Where are you?  I am sure there are dairy farmers close by who would give their right arm for some cheap maize silage.

If it is going to stay, then as said above drive through it and knock some rides down. Personally I would just drive in circles and maybe  knock down one straight 'ride' where you can position a few stops.  Let the dogs have fun.   Hope it works out for you.

may not be a disaster...you may have the best returns yet........we had a drive on one of my local shoots which was a 4 acre field of maize which was only used towards the end of the season or to use to top up the bag..........

DONT STAND THE GUNS IN A LINE.............cause when you push thro they will go and come out everywhere....:lol:

Could probably be the best season you’ve had 800 acres of cover crops 😊

i would leave it alone at the moment and watch what the birds are doing 

once the season starts to get going you’ll probably find every bird in the neighbourhood in it 

although it would be best to consult with the landowner before you start cutting rides into it 

you maybe have to upgrade your fox management as it’ll be a haven for them 

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Where are you?  I am sure there are dairy farmers close by who would give their right arm for some cheap maize silage.

If it is going to stay, then as said above drive through it and knock some rides down. Personally I would just drive in circles and maybe  knock down one straight 'ride' where you can position a few stops.  Let the dogs have fun.   Hope it works out for you.

I would second this as maize is selling in my area at £450 acre so it will not be there long. Just make sore they leave the blocks you put in place to be left. 

Thanks for all the replies, been offline all weekend.

The one man that started cutting is starting again today rain permitting, but the other lot is in the hands of a receiver so can't be touched yet, fingers crossed that it gets sorted soon. Fox control has been a problem as you never see them and they don't go in our traps.

19 minutes ago, Neilsmith said:

The one man that started cutting is starting again today rain permitting, but the other lot is in the hands of a receiver so can't be touched yet, fingers crossed that it gets sorted soon. Fox control has been a problem as you never see them and they don't go in our traps.

The Receiver should get his finger out and sell the standing crop ASAP or it will diminish in value.

1 hour ago, Neilsmith said:

is it going for bio-fuel or silage.?

• 2 weeks later...

All maize finally cut and nice blocks of cover crop left where we asked but left a big block in next to pen that the farmer said he will mow down, we have cut zig zag rides through them and put feeders in front, there are loads of birds in the crop now and will start spin feeding the rides this week so fingers crossed all will be good for our first shoot in middle of nov. They are not eating much wheat now as so much maize about but they seem happy scavenging for it.