Hare Sheffield

PotHunter96

Not much use to you I know but a few years back we were asked to clear a few Hares off a large estate - there were hundreds in the fields and we set to work with the .22lr's. We shot around 20 a session for just over a month but getting rid of the dead was a bit of a conundrum. After a bit of thought we decided to try a local pub/restaurant (we used to shoot Rats in their chicken run) and they said they would put jugged Hare on the menu and see how it went. They had 5 to start with but within a week the owner was on the phone asking for as many as we could get as the dish was pulling customers from miles away - they sold out every night the dish was cooked.

On 06/10/2019 at 06:38, bruno22rf said:

Not much use to you I know but a few years back we were asked to clear a few Hares off a large estate - there were hundreds in the fields and we set to work with the .22lr's. We shot around 20 a session for just over a month but getting rid of the dead was a bit of a conundrum. After a bit of thought we decided to try a local pub/restaurant (we used to shoot Rats in their chicken run) and they said they would put jugged Hare on the menu and see how it went. They had 5 to start with but within a week the owner was on the phone asking for as many as we could get as the dish was pulling customers from miles away - they sold out every night the dish was cooked.

I wish I had that many around my way there used to be loads everywhere apparently but now lucky to see one every year, I have a permission where I do flush 3 or 4 from rushes and rough ground but don’t want to shoot one as this permission is right near my uncles where they seem to have become extinct, always wanted to try it though 

• 3 weeks later...

You're more likely to find the country pubs, maybe in the Chatsworth area to be doing any sort of game. Chatsworth farm shop is also about the only place I know of that sells it all the time, in season. 

When my wife worked in a wet fish shop in Sheffield they were always being asked for game, pheasant, partridge, grouse, rabbit and hare. Sold out as soon as it was stocked. Always brought in by local guns too. Occasionally had legally culled deer which used to be hung and skinned in my garage.

There is a demand for it yet as far as I know, no one now sells it. No restaurant has it on the menu but it sells or gets traded in the pub every weekend. My son has a freezer full of pheasant and partridge, eats it regularly.