Really quiet supressed shotgun?

sandspider

Hi all

Just wondering, is the above really possible? When I say really quiet, I mean air rifle quiet perhaps? I have a permission in a valley surrounded by trees with houses in it, and even a subsonic .22lr makes quite an echo. If I can find a really quiet supressed shotgun, it might be a useful addition to my collection... I fear however that even a supressed shotgun is not likely to be that quiet?

Thanks.

Shotgun even .410 suppressed with subs are not going to quieter than .22 sub with mod on.

Only thing quiet as a air rifle is a air rifle.

Why do you have to be so silent, your going about legal business.  Just use a hushpower Mossberg .410 if it's pigeons. If it's ground game FAC air.

Edited by figgy

I have a mossberg 500 in 12. Its quieter than standard. As figgy says - air gun to be silent. Or learn not to give a stuff. I shoot right next to yeovil, and i mean right next to it. Ive been filmed, photoed and shouted at, but im legal so i dont give a toss. Unless your camped at the bottom of somebodys garden dont worry. Or if its just a isolated house, tap on the door, and just see what they are like. By doing that ive actually been asked to shoot pests for them on my travels. 

In the for sale section there is a 410 with mod going stupidly cheap. You wont lose money even if its not for you 

2 hours ago, sandspider said:

Hi all

Just wondering, is the above really possible? When I say really quiet, I mean air rifle quiet perhaps? I have a permission in a valley surrounded by trees with houses in it, and even a subsonic .22lr makes quite an echo. If I can find a really quiet supressed shotgun, it might be a useful addition to my collection... I fear however that even a supressed shotgun is not likely to be that quiet?

Thanks.

As quiet as a pcp air rifle ? No not a chance .

But the quietest shotgun combo ? Well 

I would say it would have to be an armsan 636 .410 semi auto with an extended choke add on moderator  from saddlery and gun room .

Use layvale magnasonic carts and id say you would be about as quiet as a spring powered airgun without a silencer . (Pretty quiet in my book ) 

My Mossy 410 pumper is fully moderated and with the appropriate cartridges is very quiet, even with standard cartridges, someone 100yrds away would be hard pressed to a) locate the sound or b) hear it above the ambient noise around them.  I shot pigeons all morning once not 100yrds from the farmers open kitchen windows and apologised to his wife as I left if the noise had been a nuisance. She said "What noise? I didn't know you where here".   That was with standard Fiocchi 3 inch shells.

Use sub sonic cartridges.

Environmental factors will have a very great impact on the noise levels heard by locals in the vicinity .much more so than the gun u use .

For example my mate and i set up once at opposite ends of a long field (300 ish yards away from each other) facing each other. The wind was blowing from me to him ..i was using a modded .410 and he a 12b ou .no mod .

Though i dindnt know at the time which gun he had with him .listening to his shots. I thought he probably had his modded 20 b or possibly his modded .410 ..

He thought i had my un modded ou20b as my shots sounded very loud .to him and his shots quiet to me .the wind direction making such a massive difference to how the sound is carried .

I use a bolt action Webley/Scott 410, with the Saddlery and Gunroom detachable moderator. 50 yards away people know it's a noise, but don't recognise it as a gunshot.

Bear in mind that if you're in the middle of the woods then the sound of the shot is getting reflected back to you. There might be virtually no noise making it to the edge of the woods

11 hours ago, sandspider said:

Cheers all, food for thought. Will see if I can find a cheap one local ish to have an experiment with. Alas, the one on here is up north and not worth RFD ing at that price...

If you ever come over the bridge your welcome to try my ou 20 bore hushpower.