Billy No Mates.

JDog

Nobody wanted to come out with me today, or indeed tomorrow. Excuses ranged from cleaning out sock drawers (or indeed knicker drawers), to painting and decorating and 'studying' and work. So solo it was to the same fields Jacko and I shot two weeks ago.

The wind was different this time, in fact perfect, but I just couldn't get under the line as the track was too boggy and the uphill walk would have killed me to get to where I really should have been. Therefore I had to make the most of the situation I had which also involved a fair hike with all the kit including rotary and battery which I rarely use nowadays. The good lines just went wide of me on both sides but I did manage to pull a few off them and in the first hour and ten minutes I had 30 pigeons in the bag. Clodhopper called in on his way home from work and stayed for 30 minutes. He had a shot or two with my gun which didn't fit him as the stock and barrels were too short and the cast was all wrong but he managed to shoot a double with his first two shots and several other good birds so the fit cannot have been all that bad. He said he closed his eyes and hoped for the best which is also my preferred method of shooting. That gun knows where to point all by itself.

I picked 52 pigeons and 1 carrion crow. By coincidence that was exactly the same score that Jacko and I had for a few less cartridges.

That was a very good 70 minutes to start your day off Mr JDog , ( see my maths are not that bad :yes: ) all the people I used to ask if they wanted a day out are now either dead or divorced , one of the reasons I mainly now go by myself :lol:.

Fifty plus is a very good bag at this time of the year, and well done to Clodhopper for turning up after a days work and helping in knocking a few down .:good:

The field JDog was shooting bordered the road that I travel to work on. I knew he was there so popped in for a matter. Ever the generous soul, he bullied me into having a shot or two with his precious Miroku.  

That old gun of yours knows what it is doing. It may be small but it is a mighty slayer of pigeons.

49 minutes ago, kenholland said:

sounds like that record , who can I turn to when nobody needs me , don't worry j dog you had a result , well done.

more like the record................

"i maybe aint as good as i once was"

"but once ,im as good as i ever was"

Quality not quantity

:good:

10 hours ago, ditchman said:

more like the record................

"i maybe aint as good as i once was"

"but once ,im as good as i ever was"

Quality not quantity

:good:

That's very profound Ditchy, especially as your post was around 10 last night and not a slurred word in evidence. Run out of the red stuff ? :whistling:

Edited by Old Boggy

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

That's very profound Ditchy, especially as your post was around 10 last night and not a slurred word in evidence. Run out of the red stuff ? 

i have run out of red wine.........my sister-law came over from portugal to see her sister and dropped off a couple of bottles of port....(more like a fortified wine)...and it is very nice....

dosnt affect my brain as much....cant use it to cook with tho......

Well done JDog at least you went out. I was starting to think the forum was turning into " All our Yesterday"  with the exception of a few pigeon shooters. I have the opposite concern when I'm back and going out as my shooting pal DB does not like me going out without him when shooting pigeons. I can shoot crows , that's OK. 

I do enjoy shooting on my own as I can try different methods without being criticised. Dont get me wrong I've shot and fished with DB for thirty odd years but he has the patience of a gnat, and his resistance to change is immense. 

JDog you had to carry all your gear , perhaps if you take two journeys to get on the perfect line you would have been more successful but you would have had to make three journeys back??

If you had timed it right Clodhopper could have set you up on his way to work and packed up on the way home!!!!

5 hours ago, ditchman said:

JDog ..........you need a Carp fishing trolley............"resistance is futile"....go for it...:good:we wont tell a soul ..

Nah wait a bit longer and there will be a drone out that will take all the gear you may need to the exact spot ready for you  , and then return all the gear and pigeons back for you. A big plus hear is you will never run out of cartridges again!