Do you use a keysafe to store your cabinet keys ?

quentyn

i was at a security show a few weeks back and someone showed me how to decode combination keysafe boxes. I thought i would post it here as i know that people do store their cabinet keys in them and depending on your use case you may be running a significant risk. 

Anyway here is a quick youtube video i put together showing how to decode a common amazon bought keysafe with little more than a feeler gauge and 30 seconds of time 

Concealment is often better than security which is openly displayed as burglars are normally time limited.

Something like inside a dvd case is ideal, especially if you have several hundred dvds, in an old specs case in back of drawer, in bottom of a tub of bolts, magnetically fixed to underside of double walled radiator etc.

have that many keys from property, vehicles, workshop , etc , customers properties I struggle myself ,     my cabinet keys hidden in plain sight yet nobody can find them  / how many times can you not find something staring you in your face /  one of my  customer hid his keys in a  key collection  (obvious and overlooked) 

17 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Keysafes come in grades from cheap and simple like this type shown here (which do have very limited security), to full government approved types which are not easily manipulated.  You get what you pay for.

to be honest i think that any of the vertical  tumbler ones are vulnerable to this kind of attack. At the conference where i was shown this vulnerability they had an expensive masterlock one that was even easier to decode. The moral is not to use a keysafe with this arrangement of dials as you can slip something down in between and decode it in a trivial fashion. 

2 hours ago, quentyn said:

to be honest i think that any of the vertical  tumbler ones are vulnerable to this kind of attack.

I don't disagree.

2 hours ago, quentyn said:

The moral is not to use a keysafe with this arrangement of dials

Again, no disagreement from me.  I imagine all relatively cheap ones are relatively vulnerable.  I have seen similar you tube videos of various small safes being opened - apparently with ease.  I have a police approved type, but still quite cheap (£30 ish), (not used for my gun keys) and I have seen a you tube of that type being manipulated, though was not able to duplicate it myself.  I am reasonably dexterous, but couldn't duplicate the technique they used.

However you can get other types with very high grade locks (such as the Chubb Manifoil) which are not at all easily manipulated; the downside is that even as ex govt. stock, they are expensive (£100 upwards inc a small key box) and very expensive (several hundred) new.

When Mrs Taileron had her initial visit our FEO wanted to see the security arrangements and do a random check on the security to ensure I was keeping everything in order. At the time he advised West Mercia do not accept hiding places as due diligence for keys. I was strongly advised to fit a quality key safe. He mentioned that if I was burgled and they found my cabinets,  statistics show that the value in the cabinets is worth more to thieves than household items. If cabinets are located they will stop and go through the property just looking for the keys to steal the firearms/shotguns. The best solution was a key safe located in a difficult to reach location, which I have now complied with. 

It was a massive ball ache though as they are not the easiest things to fit in an easy location, let alone one which is hidden.

Get past the dogs, the wife and the kids and then find my keys in amongst the devastation that is my household and you're welcome to my guns! Theres substantially more expensive and easier to steal stuff in the house than my cheap guns. And if they get in and decide they want my guns that means theres nobody in which means they can just get an angle grinder or a stihl saw and cut the doors off anyway.