18.4 Bore and Fibre

Perazzishot

Just a quick update now the season has started properly.

Purchased the pair of Miroku XLR 32" from Gilsan's (excellent service from Simon) and immediately sent them to Teague to get them both multi choked.

They arrived back on Friday and with 5 extended chokes for each, less than a weeks turnaround great service from Ivan.

With only Saturday to get a bit of practice with them I had 150 clays at the local ground 125 with my usual Mach 3's and the 25 with Rapeed Fibre, I was surprised as I actually felt they broke better with the fibres.

Travelled down to Wales Monday for the opening 2 days using for the 1st time Hull 34/4 High Pheasant Extreme.

New gun and cartridge combination on this shoot was always going to be a gamble. Once I found them I have to say the combination worked and by the end of the 2nd day and 700 cartridges later I have to say I could use the combination for all my game shooting going forward and was killing pheasants cleanly at ranges previously only where plas wads would have worked.

I believe totally that as Nigel Teague said last year that to have a gun to preform well with fibre you need 18.4 or 18.3 bored barrels. After being a total sceptic and against dumping plastic my mind is strongly changed.

Now the only downfall, the recoil, when you are not losing 30% of the pressure out the end of the barrel it comes back, I'm a stocky guy who has shot for well over 35 years, I felt it at the end of both days and it has nothing to do with fit as they fit like a glove.

A small price to pay I feel as over the 2 days over 8000 shots were fired and the estate have a strict fibre only policy.

Get a Isis recoil pad fitted and take the sting out of the shots.

The Benelli SuperSport I use for clay shooting is nominal bore. As I use fiber all the time as of 18 months ago, I find the fiber kill well at all ranges and if someone else loaded the gun I couldn't tell a difference in breaks from plaswads. 

Glad your guns are working well.

Use fibre all the time in my 410...other end of the spectrum:lol:..... and do not feel my returns are any different to when I shot all plastic.  Last season 2.4 to  1 with just 18.7g of 7s.

The patterning I have done with my reloads gives me great confidence that if I do my job then so will the cartridge and don't have a sore shoulder either.

After having used plastic almost exclusively for the last few years, I  tried some fibre wad shells yesterday as I'll be visiting a ground that doesn't allow plastic . My CG barrels are stamped 18.6 (.732") and with 3/8 choke in both they pulverised some longish clays just as well as the plastics.

I've no problem with the performance at all but fibres do cost a bit more and also tend to be more thumpy (these ones certainly are).

54 minutes ago, Gunman said:

Fiber wads have been used for the last 100 years , in guns with bores from.710" to .740" without any problem .Sorry but I dont agree that a specific bore size will give "better "results . 

.010" won't make any difference one way or the other .

When I started reloading in the late 60s .Had a gun that had been lapped out .I read in a old book about uselng oversize wads ie  11 bore wads . was in Stensbys the gun makers .Used to like talking  to old mr Stensby .I asked him about oversize wads.He informed me the cleaner wads thay stocked measured 750.Think quality is a important issue.

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

Fiber wads have been used for the last 100 years , in guns with bores from.710" to .740" without any problem .Sorry but I dont agree that a specific bore size will give "better "results . 

55 minutes ago, Gunman said:

5 hours ago, Gunman said:

I agree with this i think mere bore size alone is a relatively insignificant aspect in the full scheme of things.

usually fibre wad ammo from the cartridge makers is a paper capped hard fibre wad dropped on the powder and if your lucky a nitro card under the shot charge, gone are the times when klena felts and card seals cork spacers were employed with a little thought care and development, as with The winchester super double x wildfowl loads.

Performance between fibre and plas wads is down to the fact plaswads do a better job when dropping a single wad component in a load which suits machines and productivity rather than performance.

Fibre wad ammo produced by the home loaders who take the time to do the job properly is a match for any plas wad load, the old supper double X loads were evidence factories could do it right but sadly its rare to see the type of care and attention to detail put into fibre wad ammo by the bulk of the manufacturers these days, they want to charge the premium for fibre but not put the real work in to make fibre work the way it can.

One point here Chaps is that we are talking lead shot . Steel is a whole other ball game and need plas wads to contain the shot to prevent barrel damage .

So if you use steel you need plastic .if you use lead then fiber . I raise this merely to give the environmentalists a headache .

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

One point here Chaps is that we are talking lead shot . Steel is a whole other ball game and need plas wads to contain the shot to prevent barrel damage .

So if you use steel you need plastic .if you use lead then fiber . I raise this merely to give the environmentalists a headache .

Actually there are card cups available to totally enclosed steel and other hard shot types, I think gamebore patented em....they are/were for sale at C&G at 15p per wad, as I recall?

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

Actually there are card cups available to totally enclosed steel and other hard shot types, I think gamebore patented em....they are/were for sale at C&G at 15p per wad, as I recall?

Eley have brought out their VIP steel Pro Eco wad. Looks like plastic but isn't and breaks down pretty quickly. From what I have read it is still a bit pricey but will hopefully come down a bit when (if) they start selling more.

Hello Perazzishot , 

If you are shooting High Volume and are getting battered by recoil , having a Recoil Systems " Isis II Light Reducer "  Installed is a great Investment .

I have this unit installed on several of my shotguns , the 24 gram - 32 gram Model with the Hard Springs installed . I shoot 36 gram loads also , and the recoil reduction is amazing .

I found this unit unlike many others , does not change the balance or handling of the gun .  

Kind Regards ,

CGS

Guest cookoff013

Err.

You guys do realise that when any shell is fired, the wadding / obturator /wad is fireformed with the pressure to the dimentions of the chamber.

This is about 800thou.