Air arms pressure gauge

Justy2020

Hi I'm new to air rifling. Great bit of fun getting out with a rifle. I got myself an air arms s410 carbine second hand. As these rifles seem to have an excellent review.. so anyhow, was told the rifle had been sitting for a good 5 years so decided to do a strip down and replace all seals and the air pressure gauge as it was not reading any pressure. So replaced all. Cocked the rifle filled it up and still no pressure being shown. 

I've looked and scoured the internet trying to find an answer to the following question but have found nothing.

So my question is has anyone any ideas what could be stopping the air from getting to the pressure gauge.? 

Another question would be what regulator should I go for? Couldn't find anything modern on topic. 

Many thanks for your time and any wisdom you may forward me. 

Pressure gauge, don't know sorry apart from is the gauge OK after being sat 5 years? Regulator, all the advice I've been given (I have an MPR 400) is don't bother they don't need one and they can be a right swine to set up. Find the sweet spot and fill to that. It'll give you plenty of shots either hunting or target shooting. 

hello, first welcome to PW, the 410 is one of the best PCP air rifles you can buy and use, i had one for many years, if you have replaced all seals and fitted a new gauge,  you say filled up but not showing on gauge  ? is it shooting ok ? have you a gauge on your bottle, what bar have you filled to ? you may have been unlucky and got another duff gauge, did it fill and shoot ok when you bought it, ?   

Hi thanks for the replies. 

It's a new BSA gauge that I fitted. Was told it should work better than the one supplied with the s410.  Yes it was shooting fine when I got it. And it's still shooting fine. Just need to top up my diving tank as it's only sitting at 100 bar. 

No regulator at the mo. What ones are best for the s410. 

hello, , most i know with 410s say its not worth putting in a regulator, a standard tubed 410 should give around 80 shots thats 8 mags, i got 60/65 ish filling to 180 bar down to 50 bar, although some on  the the UK airgun forum fit a Huma reg

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

5 hours ago, Andy H said:

Drain the pressure chamber and remove the gauge  then put a squirt of air in it to check the air actually gets to the guage port.

I'll do that now.. didn't think of doing that, thanks.. if no air getting to it how would I fix that problem?

8 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Dont over tighten the gauge  (common mistake ).stops them from reading .

I'll keep that in mind when I look at it again. Put it back into the cabinet till next weekend. Thanks for the info. 

9 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, , most i know with 410s say its not worth putting in a regulator, a standard tubed 410 should give around 80 shots thats 8 mags, i got 60/65 ish filling to 180 bar down to 50 bar, although some on  the the UK airgun forum fit a Huma reg

Hi. Before I took it apart to service it I did a barrel clean was stinking  then took it target shooting and was pretty impressed with the rifle. But not every shot landed. Sometimes 3 out of 5 would hit the target and the other 2 went way off. 

Also the sound of the rifle was slightly off when the 2 bad shots went down range. Sounds mad. Not as loud. 

I'll give it a good session once I have it working as it's meant to lol. Then if it's still firing wild I'll ask everyones advice on regulators.

Thanks for the info.

8 hours ago, Justy2020 said:

Hi. Before I took it apart to service it I did a barrel clean was stinking  then took it target shooting and was pretty impressed with the rifle. But not every shot landed. Sometimes 3 out of 5 would hit the target and the other 2 went way off. 

Also the sound of the rifle was slightly off when the 2 bad shots went down range. Sounds mad. Not as loud. 

I'll give it a good session once I have it working as it's meant to lol. Then if it's still firing wild I'll ask everyones advice on regulators.

Thanks for the info.

hello, most 410s shoot well with AA fields

After cleaning the barrel you need to lead it in, firing a mag or two will settle the barrel down and you can re zero.

Unless your going to send your rifle to a tuner to set up with a regulator I wouldn't bother. As another poster has said fill to what it says on the sticker, then shoot it untill it gets consistent and groups very well. Take note of the pressure it's usually around 170-180 bar then shoot it down until you notice the pellets drop down the target, take note of what the pressure is. Then fill to your sweet spot and refill when it gets near the low point.

I fill mine to 170 then fire 4-5 downrange to check accuracy before I hunt - the first 5 or 6 will strike low but then she hits the sweet spot and strikes dead on - I usually carry 50 pellets in an old 35mm film canister that I use to reload as I go so I know that every shot from the 50 stored will be spot on - never needed anymore but she would ,most likely, do another 20 or so before performance dropped The S410 is common for a reason - it's practically a benchmark Rifle that will do anything you ask of it time and time again - not far short of the perfect Airgun.

2 hours ago, figgy said:

After cleaning the barrel you need to lead it in, firing a mag or two will settle the barrel down and you can re zero.

Unless your going to send your rifle to a tuner to set up with a regulator I wouldn't bother. As another poster has said fill to what it says on the sticker, then shoot it untill it gets consistent and groups very well. Take note of the pressure it's usually around 170-180 bar then shoot it down until you notice the pellets drop down the target, take note of what the pressure is. Then fill to your sweet spot and refill when it gets near the low point.

Hi. Thanks bud.. appreciate the info. Was always wondering what people meant by the sweet spot. I'll get my target out and hit the farmers land and do a day getting it sorted. Thanks for explaining that to me.

2 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

I fill mine to 170 then fire 4-5 downrange to check accuracy before I hunt - the first 5 or 6 will strike low but then she hits the sweet spot and strikes dead on - I usually carry 50 pellets in an old 35mm film canister that I use to reload as I go so I know that every shot from the 50 stored will be spot on - never needed anymore but she would ,most likely, do another 20 or so before performance dropped The S410 is common for a reason - it's practically a benchmark Rifle that will do anything you ask of it time and time again - not far short of the perfect Airgun.

Hi bud thanks for that.. think its defo a good idea just carrying a certain amount of pellets.. nice one thanks.

Couldn't wait till next weekend to sort this out so got it out and sorted out the problem with the air pressure gauge. 

The fella who owned it before me only had an o ring from the gauge to the the alloy part. I used the same o ring but tried the dowty washer supplied with o ring kit.. and it's working great. Very accurate reading on it  and no air leaks. So it's a result. Only reason why I stuck to the o ring was advice on another website. 

Thanks for all your help on this. 

On another issue if anyone would be able to help. Theres security hex screw on the right hand side. Is that the fine tune grub screw ? 

Have included a photo for more info.

If it is what size is the grub screw inside?

20191009_194407.jpg

Don't go playing with it, it maybe the hammer spring tension screw and if you turn it you could put your gun over the legal limit.

If you have a chrono finding the sweet spot is easy as its when the power goes up and stays like that for your 50 or so shots then it will drop away. Also helpful.if your gun is down on power it can be turned up a bit and checked on chrono.

Edited by figgy

15 minutes ago, figgy said:

Don't go playing with it, it maybe the hammer spring tension screw and if you turn it you could put your gun over the legal limit.

If you have a chrono finding the sweet spot is easy as its when the power goes up and stays like that for your 50 or so shots then it will drop away. Also helpful.if your gun is down on power it can be turned up a bit and checked on chrono.

Thanks figgy. Appreciate the info. I'll have to order a chrono at some stage then I'll set it up proper. 

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Justy2020 said:

Hi all. Just got everything sorted and bought a chronograph to see what the rifle is sitting at.

The pellet I'm using is 1 gram in weight. And the chrono says its using 10.1 joules which means its shooting at 7.44 ft/lbs. So how do I tune this rifle up ?? 

hello, what pellet ? it maybe your chrono, at 30yards mine went through 1/4 inch ply

So if your pellet is 1 gram  thats the same as 16 grns (im presuming your using air arms /jsb jumbo  pellets ) 

12 foot pound of energy from this pellet would be 580 fps  .7.5 fpe of energy would be about 450 fps . 

To work this out  (if your chrono doesnt ) is take the speed in fps    and x it by its self  and the weight of the pellet in grains .

So for example . 565 fps x 565 fps  x 16 grns.

565x 565 x16 = 5107600

Then take this number and divide it by the constant 450240 

And you get 11.34  fpe (foot pound energy )

43 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, what pellet ? it maybe your chrono, at 30yards mine went through 1/4 inch ply

Penetration into any medium is almost the poorest gauge of muzzle energy from a gun .

3 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

So if your pellet is 1 gram  thats the same as 16 grns (im presuming your using air arms /jsb jumbo  pellets ) 

12 foot pound of energy from this pellet would be 580 fps  .7.5 fpe of energy would be about 450 fps . 

To work this out  (if your chrono doesnt ) is take the speed in fps    and x it by its self  and the weight of the pellet in grains .

So for example . 565 fps x 565 fps  x 16 grns.

565x 565 x16 = 5107600

Then take this number and divide it by the constant 450240 

And you get 11.34  fpe (foot pound energy )

Penetration into any medium is almost the poorest gauge of muzzle energy from a gun .

hello, never bothered with those facts and figures or a chrono, my S410 was doing 11.5 ft llb from new and same 5 years later, at that time my go to ratter with NV