Duck dusk flights

captainhastings

Had my first bit of duck shooting this morning on  a flooded field. It has been flooded all week but draining now. Had great session and managed one. There was also 3 others there and they did pretty well. So I went back this evening  as on youtube you see lots doing dusk flights but didn't see a thing. So as rule of thumb do ducks head out to feed grounds at dusk into dark ? I guess because it was shot this morning they maybe went some where else. Or the field drying out has lost its attraction maybe.  Just wondering on there general behavior. It is all a learning curve

In the area I flight the ducks are nowhere to be seen during the day but at dusk they pour into the ponds for some reason.  I use to shoot at full moon over thin clouds (although, nowadays, I reserve those days for the foreshore) or on tick white clouds as as the town's lights' reflection help sporting them in the dark. I never shoot them on consecutive weeks as, even if feeding the pond, they take their time to return after being shot at, even if the flight end early.

• 1 month later...

You cant expect to shoot up ducks on there feed\resting pond in the morning and expect them to come back in the evening. They are not that daft ( usualy ). Feed the pond and shoot it once a fortnight or 3 weeks at evening flight or if its a resting pond shoot and then leave the next flight for at least a month.  Do not do both.

Edited by anser2

On 05/10/2019 at 20:11, captainhastings said:

Had my first bit of duck shooting this morning on  a flooded field. It has been flooded all week but draining now. Had great session and managed one. There was also 3 others there and they did pretty well. So I went back this evening  as on youtube you see lots doing dusk flights but didn't see a thing. So as rule of thumb do ducks head out to feed grounds at dusk into dark ? I guess because it was shot this morning they maybe went some where else. Or the field drying out has lost its attraction maybe.  Just wondering on there general behavior. It is all a learning curve

I think the full moon is still a few days away yet to there could be a few hours of darkness before dawn.

10 hours ago, anser2 said:

You cant expect to shoot up ducks on there feed\resting pond in the morning and expect them to come back in the evening. They are not that daft ( usualy ). Feed the pond and shoot it once a fortnight or 3 weeks at evening flight or if its a resting pond shoot and then leave the next flight for at least a month.  Do not do both.

Agree 💯 per cent But in all honesty we as wildfowlers can never really predict what wild birds are going to do In all my years chasing ducks foreshore/flight ponds/Loughs I think I’m predicting when and we’re there gonna turn up but Something always suppresses me I think that’s the thrill of duck shooting Main thing  captainhastings is Enjoy it 😉

The old ducks can be elusive for sure. Checked out the spash yesterday and knee deep water. So thought right lets get the hide set to save messing about in the dark this morning. Sent me mate pics of the water level though I could see it draining fast. Sleepness nigth for us both all excited. Got there at 5am this morning and put my lamp on and the dam field was emtpy lol. Not enought water to float a match box. It seems as the winter has gone on the drainage has flushed clean and it emtpies like hell now.

So plan b up by the river hoping to catch one going up or down. Could hear lots of quacking the other side in a spash we don't have perm. So move down river to a spot they would cross heading back down. When it got light they lifted and went up lol.

Just couldn't win today but still nice to be out even in 40mph gales 

Edited by captainhastings