Beating stick

Wiggum

That’s what we already use I just fancied something abit more refined 😂, were a small friendly shoot so I’ve no worries with someone stealing it

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

a bit of blackthorn...........it will be all beat up at the end of the season..........(if you still have it).........and it will be your badge of office...

That’s the kind of thing but I wouldn’t know blackthorn from willow 😂

3 minutes ago, Wiggum said:

That’s what we already use I just fancied something abit more refined 😂, were a small friendly shoot so I’ve no worries with someone stealing it

the hedges are full of them.........the blackthorn is full of very nasty inch" long blackthorns...which the tip breaks off when you stag yourself with it..

39 minutes ago, Wiggum said:

Just look for sloes and you have found blackthorn

Trying to find a stick straight enough in blackthorn is difficult unless it's been copiced.  I cut hazel in winter and use straight away for beating. Cut a few in case you break them, if they last they can season over summer for next season.

I'm using one I cut and used green four seasons ago.

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 23:28, figgy said:

Trying to find a stick straight enough in blackthorn is difficult unless it's been copiced.  I cut hazel in winter and use straight away for beating. Cut a few in case you break them, if they last they can season over summer for next season.

I'm using one I cut and used green four seasons ago.

I'd go with hazel as well, I cut some last year and used it straight away no problems.

You don't have a posh stick for beating.  Many moons ago I went beating on an estate and at the end of the day the keeper checked the sticks and if they hadn't been beaaten to a pulp he gave you a telling off and you might not get hired next time..  We where just kids and a ten bob note(50p) was a fortune back then.    There are plenty of hazels about and a length of poly tube sounds a good idea. I would drive about a foot of hazel up the handle end to stiffen it up a bit.  The stick needs to be strong enough to stand some work but not that heavy it becomes tiresome.  One inch thick and four foot long about ideal.

If you are coming near j14 on M1 I could find you bit of blackthorn, have several bit with vee tops that I was going to take for beaters when we start on the pheasants. They are not finished but free if wanted. I also make a few sticks for sale

image.jpeg

On 11/10/2019 at 16:56, Stimo22 said:

If you are coming near j14 on M1 I could find you bit of blackthorn, have several bit with vee tops that I was going to take for beaters when we start on the pheasants. They are not finished but free if wanted. I also make a few sticks for sale

image.jpeg

Thanks for the kind offer stimo22, I’ve managed to get hold of some Hazel shafts which should do the job 👍🏻