Night vision

Hd1966

I've just started using a Pard NV007 which I can switch easily between my AA S410 and my CZ452. I've had quite a few bunnies with it already and it works great.

One thing I wasn't prepared for is that, because of the brightness of the screen, the pupil in my left eye closes down so when I take my eye away from the scope then it's takes a few seconds for the eye to open up again and be able to see clearly again. Being partially sighted in my right eye means I'm virtually blind til my left eye re-adjusts😵

Be careful of sellers on auction sites because I have heard of people receiving empty cases.

16 minutes ago, villaman said:

Some cheap nv units coming up for sale , like photons , ATN units since Pard have taken over the market and rightly so , imo if you afford the pard that’s the way to go . Brilliant NV at a good price 

Could not agree more. But if you can't afford a pard don't by a photon

On Sun Oct 06 2019 at 20:59, KFC said:

I've just started using a Pard NV007 which I can switch easily between my AA S410 and my CZ452. I've had quite a few bunnies with it already and it works great.

One thing I wasn't prepared for is that, because of the brightness of the screen, the pupil in my left eye closes down so when I take my eye away from the scope then it's takes a few seconds for the eye to open up again and be able to see clearly again. Being partially sighted in my right eye means I'm virtually blind til my left eye re-adjusts😵

Be careful of sellers on auction sites because I have heard of people receiving empty cases.

Yep a spent a few winters using my right eye looking through a near eye nv system .and often had what you describe. My vision in my right eye is now failing faster than the left .and i put some of this down to that nv .system .

Beware. 

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

Yep a spent a few winters using my right eye looking through a near eye nv system .and often had what you describe. My vision in my right eye is now failing faster than the left .and i put some of this down to that nv .system .

Beware. 

My thoughts are there is no smoke without fire. That eye sting seems like a warning to desist doing that but most persist with it. If there weren't larger monitors that allow the eye to be further away from the light radiation being emitted I'd have given up NV long ago. Some can't get on with the heads up/further away types but they are easier on the eye.

On 08/10/2019 at 00:24, Dave-G said:

My thoughts are there is no smoke without fire. That eye sting seems like a warning to desist doing that but most persist with it. If there weren't larger monitors that allow the eye to be further away from the light radiation being emitted I'd have given up NV long ago. Some can't get on with the heads up/further away types but they are easier on the eye.

Yes agree entirely.  I am a recent convert to NV and found that the BOBLOV spotter I had made my eye go weird and I have a friend who found the same.  I now have a Night Fox two eye bino type spotter and with that you can hold the viewing area further away. For the price (£110) brilliant bit of kit.  I have one of DaveGs units with the screen and a fair few foxes have felt it's wrath since I purchased it. Once you get used to sitting back and watching TV it works very well.  I also found my friends thermal spotter made my eye go weird for a minute or two as well.

I think what is helpful with the 'TV' type is a calibre with less recoil.  I shoot a 22 Bench Rest, for those who don't know the cartridge it is basically a wildcat,  a 308Win case shortened and necked down and so is a bit sharper than your 222 or 223 but less recoil than a 243 for instance.    I shoot mainly from high seats or from a vehicle and just rest my stock in the bend of my arm on the bicep  and rest the front of the rifle on the rail or window, holding it with just one hand.  I don't mount it on my shoulder and talking to chaps who could not get on with this type, they have been shouldering the rifle. Just  watch the screen and line up the cross hairs, like a video game..  My rifle is fairly heavy, a T/C Encore single shot and hardly moves and I can see the bullet strike no problem on the screen.

2 hours ago, manthing said:

I have 2 photons and find them more than sufficient for airgun ratting. The on board ir is not the best but at air ranges it's OK. 

I agree with you - I've got them on (non-FAC) air and on 22LR, and they do a great job. 

The 'TV' type are great if you're static or shooting from a truck. If you're walking any real distance they're a pain in the backside though

2 hours ago, robbiep said:

I agree with you - I've got them on (non-FAC) air and on 22LR, and they do a great job. 

The 'TV' type are great if you're static or shooting from a truck. If you're walking any real distance they're a pain in the backside though

That's spot on with the TV type. 95% of my shooting is from the truck, primarily on grazing or golf course. Whilst sat in the drivers seat  I can nestle the forestock into the drivers door mirror bracket and lean back into the seat but slouch sideways with my armpit on the window sill and arm out the window. Its a fully supported shooting position that's even better than benchrested, and I can just meander around the field until something shows up on TV then stop the car in the right place, brake lights are deactivated when shooting. :-)

This video was taken viewing through the rifle scope while the rifle was door mirror mounted. a lot of opportunities are lost when trying to set up for recording or making a point about light, focus or whatever, and bear in mind I'm sometimes moving the car to put the rifle into a better position for the video:

Its of course much easier if you have a wider angle  roof mounted spotter with the screen inside the truck but that's another story.

I occasionally bipod mount the rifle onto the roof of the car facing rearwards for a lay up situation too - having a massive tilt slide sunroof.

Edited by Dave-G