A Damp Ole Day

marsh man

Today the weather warning people got carried away a bit and awarded us a Amber warning from the regular Yellow one , mind you I think this time it was justified , to say it rained hard would be putting it mildly .

We are on a bit of a slope and the most exciting bit of the morning ( I know were a bit sad ) was watching the water bypassing the drains and running down to the main road , well after being caged up for a few we had to go out and face the elements , two roads away we had to turn round due to flooding , if anything it was raining harder and I started to think we might had made a mistake but after going through some deep puddles we finally made it to the A47 only to be diverted again due to heavy flooding near Acle , so after getting a few provisions we headed back home only to be met by a fire engine trying to pump out our community club .

One good thing that came after all this heavy rain is the marshes have got more than enough water for me to try and get amongst a few Wigeon this coming week , as they say , every cloud have got a silver lining .:good:

How was your day and did the weather effect it ?   

Never let up drizzle for best part of 24 hours.

Wife asked if I was booking a trip on the marsh, after seeing field upon field flooded. Be a waste of time getting all my gear and dog wet and muddy for nought. Any ducks will stay out on all the new splashes.

Edited by figgy

They, the weather gurus. promised a drizzle for a couple of hours mid day but it never arrived here in West Leicestershire. We have had a handsome day really, broken cloud and some warm sun until dusk then the cold hit and our heating went on.  Tomorrow I will be putting in stocks of starting wood for the wood burners to save on the oil.

The week ahead looks mixed but everywhere is absolutely soaked through and every hollow full of water.   Looking ahead for the next two weeks I am going to be lucky not to get wet on the three days I have booked shooting but I have a waterproof skin:yes:.

Edited by Walker570

34 minutes ago, figgy said:

Never looked let up drizzle for best part of 24 hours.

Wife asked if I was booking a trip on the marsh, after seeing field upon field flooded. Be a waste of time getting all my gear and dog wet and muddy for nought. Any ducks will stay out on all the new splashes.

If anything we now have got to much water , two fields where the drain water run into from the bypass are flooded completely , and just about every other marsh have got enough to flight on , should get better when more duck arrive.

30 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

They, the weather gurus. promised a drizzle for a couple of hours mid day but it never arrived here in West Leicestershire. We have had a handsome day really, broken cloud and some warm sun until dusk then the cold hit and our heating went on.  Tomorrow I will be putting in stocks of starting wood for the wood burners to save on the oil.

The week ahead looks mixed but everywhere is absolutely soaked through and every hollow full of water.   Looking ahead for the next two weeks I am going to be lucky not to get wet on the three days I have booked shooting but I have a waterproof skin.

We are normally one of the driest counties in the country so someone have upset the weather gods :lol:

Good luck with your three days shooting both with the weather and the sport , we have had days where the bad weather is either side of the planed day , and another time it can be the reverse , dry the day before , then heavy rain on the day of the shoot followed by a dry day , 

I have got a feeling where your waterproof skin might be needed at least once on your planed three days , and just in case , take a good coat to be on the safe side:good:

We were just on the edge of your Amber, and had to settle for Yellow. Had over an 1" since early this morning, desperately needed though. Went Pheasant feeding, and got so wet my jeans dyed my legs blue, 36 bags filled and put so should see them through the week 🤞

1 hour ago, kennett said:

We were just on the edge of your Amber, and had to settle for Yellow. Had over an 1" since early this morning, desperately needed though. Went Pheasant feeding, and got so wet my jeans dyed my legs blue, 36 bags filled and put so should see them through the week 🤞

Thankfully your Pheasants are well feathered up now so shouldn't come to any harm , you done well  to lump 36 bags of feed about in today's weather and let's hope your legs go back to there original colour:good: