Express 28 bore crimp ripped off

Just started a new case of express 28 bore / 25gm / size 6. 

Normally shoot the same gun and express 28bore / 28gm / size 6.  Same cartridge heavier load  

Never had a problem before, gun is a browning cynergy hunter with 70mm chambers. 

Do you think I should contact express?

060C5D80-EF0E-4DE3-ABE1-C417A66CC8EB.jpeg

Have that very often with factory RCs and Eley and on occasion with one or two of my own reloads using Fiocchi cases in 410.  Never had it happen with Hull High Pheasant factory.......

YET.

Does not appear to upset the pattern to much as birds still fall out of the sky.   The first time I had one with my reloaded Fiocchis was this week.  I have never had it happen before and not with Fiocchi factory.

Do not know the reason. I contacted Just Cartridges about the RCs but never got a reply or explanation.

I shoot a Yilditz 410 O/U   and have had it happen with my Mossy pumper as well.

Edited by Walker570

25 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Definitely. That looks just like the ragged end  when a cartridge is overlong for the chamber. Usually though a 67.5" cartridge in a short coned 2.5" chamber - that looks more catastrophic. Can you open one up manually and measure the overall length for what would be the fired condition?

Hi. 

The gun is newish with 70mm chamber. It’s not a 65mm, 100 year old sxs .

I have shot the same brand and load through it since I got it. 

I used the last of last seasons up on Saturday and the carts went with the rubbish. This was  a new case (bought at a different time) but the same all round. Picked around 20 out my pocket. All the same. 

Edited by markm

Yep, I know that your gun and the Supremes are both 2.75". What I'm saying is what the damage looks like - but more severe - and you need to talk to Lyalvale - unless it's my eyes, I can't seem to see any sign of the crimps apart from perhaps a faint crease on the bottom case. As the problem at the moment is unidentified, an overlong case can be eliminated if one is manually opened and measured in the fired condition

Looks like the ones in the photo are roll turn over?

My thinking is friction between the wad and the inside of the case is causing the wad to rip part of the case away.

looks to happen occasionally with both 28ga and .410, I have seen half the case disappear with .410

not ideal but like Walker570 states never cause me any problems, but if concerned speak to lyalvale and email photo to them

I had exactly the same with a slab of Eley 16g VIP Game.

Contacted Eley and sent them some of the affected cartridges. They replied promptly and asked that I return the remaining unfired cartridges via my local RFD, which I did (well, some of them anyway) :whistling:

They very quickly sent me a new slab as a replacement, stating that they would let me know the result of any tests that were carried out on the faulty ones. I never heard back from them, but suspect that as the cases are made in Italy, then it was a case (excuse the pun) of a faulty batch from Italy, the cause of which I`ll never know, or indeed care as the replacements work perfectly.

I would add that the affected cartridges all performed well and did not appear to lose any effectiveness, provided that I held the gun straight.

OB

Just off the phone to express. 

Even before I went into details they knew the problem. The polymer of the cartridge has a low melting point. After firing there is some contraction. They have tested them and no negative effect on pattern or pressure. 

Offered to swap or just shoot them.

Guest cookoff013

i guess this is just using enough materiel to have a case that can just survive 1 firing. 

i bought a job lot of old hulls ages ago. infact they were a random purchase old hulls that were un fired. the plastic was amazingly thick.

1 hour ago, figgy said:

I'd guess there cheddite cases as I have some for Wildfowling that are distorting when loading and the shot is pressing through the case stopping them chambering in a semi auto. The plastic is very soft.

I think you have hit the nail Figgy.  I have noticed even with Fiochi cases that the shot shows quite a bit through the side of the shell case like small pimples. The 'plastic' is much thinner than before.  As said I have had the same happen with both factory(star crimp) and my own reloads (star crimp) and as said sometimes half the case has vanished but mainly just the end burned as in the photos.  The only shell I have not had it occur is factory High Pheasant 410  and that case when reloaded.  Just checked the cases and the Hull do seem to be a bit stronger than the Fiocchi.