Death and guns.

Perazzishot

Just had a very interesting conversation with the wife! All hypothetical for the purpose of the post.

If the police turn up to the house unscheduled to inspect the cabinets the wife as a non certificate holder can not allow this as she does not know where the keys are!

Her dilemma now is that if I die tomorrow will she be in trouble to allow a RFD to collect my guns from the house. I didn't have an answer but what she said is true could she end up in trouble if she allowed this to happen? Or would I (deceased) be the only guilty party? I have actually told her the value of the collection to ensure she is not ripped off.

No sane person could bring charges against your wife for allowing an RFD to take control of weapons that were in a property where no one had the legal right to hold them.

She would have done the right thing by securing them .

As for how she had the keys, she simply tidied up the deceased belongings and came across the keys.

In the event of a bereavement, the authorities are more liable to help (i.e. take a common sense approach) rather than raise problems (which benefit no one).

Two possible solutions; a sealed letter with a party such as a solicitor that can be passed to an RFD, or another suitably authorised person (e.g. family member/friend with their own SGC.)  For firearms the second is obviously not appropriate.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Two possible solutions; a sealed letter with a party such as a solicitor that can be passed to an RFD, or another suitably authorised person (e.g. family member/friend with their own SGC.)  For firearms the second is obviously not appropriate.

My wife and I have had the same discussion as the OP. It not only concerned death but importantly if I started to lose the plot and didn't or refused to recognise it. My long standing friend nearby is a SGC and firearms certificate holder. He has keys to our house and my cabinet. The deal is if I have any problems then my wife contacts him and he comes in and removes the guns. I'm 76, hope I never lose the plot. But that situation cannot be overlooked.

Edited by Bobba

1 minute ago, Bobba said:

The deal is if I have any problems then my wife contacts him and he comes in and removes the guns.

It seems you have a sensible and pragmatic solution in place.  I have two family members (younger generation) who are SGC holders and with whom I am in fairly regular contact so have arrangements in place that way.  It is wise to have these arrangements in place 'just in case'.

25 minutes ago, Bobba said:

My wife and I have had the same discussion as the OP. It not only concerned death but importantly if I started to lose the plot and didn't or refused to recognise it. My long standing friend nearby is a SGC and firearms certificate holder. He has keys to our house and my cabinet. The deal is if I have any problems then my wife contacts him and he comes in and removes the guns. I'm 76, hope I never lose the plot. But that situation cannot be overlooked.

You’ve given a person outside of your home keys to your house and your gun cabinet? 

Id probably re-think that ... what would your FEO think about it? 

44 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

How does that work with the firearms?

Are they also on his FAC, if not he would be holding firearms not on his cert.

Ah, to clarify, I am only SGC so there's no FAC issues. He would remove guns then contact appropriate authorities to regularise matters.

23 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

You’ve given a person outside of your home keys to your house and your gun cabinet? 

Id probably re-think that ... what would your FEO think about it? 

Everything is legal and above board and his integrity is beyond reproach.

Edited by Bobba

2 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

I believe your hypothetical wife can apply for a temporary cert to deal with the firearms/Shotguns.

I too believe this to be so. Either a relative or Executor. But in my case my wife dislikes guns so the less she has to do the better it is for her.

1 hour ago, Muddy Funker said:

Surely the easiest answer is a locksmith is called, entry to the cabinet is gained and an rfd leaves with the guns. 

Or does it need to be more complicated? 

It’s far easier if your partner ‘finds’ your keys, applies for a temp certificate and sorts them. 

My mates wife was granted a temp certificate and I bought the two guns off her for a fair price. 

The RFD offered her peanuts for them. 

Locksmiths doing a home visit is pretty expensive.  I'm also not sure that all 'openings' by a locksmith allow the safe to be used without further work to replace the locks (which may have to be drilled)?  The problem with a temp is that the pressure is on to get them moved on ......... which is why ....

2 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

The RFD offered her peanuts for them.

RFD's are no fools and will buy at the best price they can get them for ........ which won't be good for the widow/bereaved relatives.  To be fair to RFDs, many old guns held in cabinets and considered of significant value by the family (as in they are old family items like "grandads gun") actually have a very low resale value. 

Also I believe the family can't officially sell any items until probate is granted - which may be many months (there are currently very long delays in the probate system).

Therefore - if you do have a trusted friend/relative with the appropriate SGC who can take them into 'care', it may well be better solution.  In most cases I know of, close family have house access/keys anyway - and the family/friend with the SGC only has the capability to open the cabinet (i.e. not the house) - meaning that for access to the cabinet, both the house access and the cabinet access designated people need to be present.