Rarely am impressed with anything man made. But this bridge is amazing.

NoBodyImportant

I drove about 300 miles north today to snatch a shotgun off gunbroker.  Well I crossed this bridge and had to turn around and drive around it to get a better angle to look at it.  Apparently it’s the 3rd largest arch bridge in the world according to the plaque.  It’s in West Virginia and I honestly can’t believe it was built by man.  The pictures really don’t do it justice.  It looks so small on camera.  Its wide enough for 6-8 lanes of traffic but they only have 4 lanes open with huge emergency lanes on the side.  Apparently October 19 they close the bridge down to allow people to parachute off it.  

108ABE68-1315-4D35-9ECC-19B55E56BC0F.jpeg

52499B71-7E74-4BE9-91BB-E4668DECA527.png

D477D7B0-7C0E-4C14-A836-9FEE6BFA867F.jpeg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice bridge.............

my favourite bridge was designed by norman foster and ptns....(i think)........and it is in france........wish i could remember the name of it.....it is a cross twixt a bridge and a viaduct..

its called the milleau viaduct...stunning......google it :good:

Edited by ditchman

2 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

It would have to be big booms,  it gets lost in the landscape but that dainty beams on the arches are the size of buses.  

There's nothing that can't be overcome with the correct use of lots of PE.

It's surprising how placed in the right spot how little you need to bring a bridge like this down.

9 minutes ago, ditchman said:

nice bridge.............

my favourite bridge was designed by norman foster and ptns....(i think)........and it is in france........wish i could remember the name of it.....it is a cross twixt a bridge and a viaduct..

I always liked the one in Charleston but being modern the beams are much smaller.  The size of steel in the new river gorge Bridge it crazy. 

FC824833-47BB-4979-A164-F1479BAFC277.jpeg

2 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

It's surprising how placed in the right spot how little you need to bring a bridge like this down.

I believe it.  

56 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I drove about 300 miles north today to snatch a shotgun off gunbroker.  Well I crossed this bridge and had to turn around and drive around it to get a better angle to look at it.  Apparently it’s the 3rd largest arch bridge in the world according to the plaque.  It’s in West Virginia and I honestly can’t believe it was built by man.  The pictures really don’t do it justice.  It looks so small on camera.  Its wide enough for 6-8 lanes of traffic but they only have 4 lanes open with huge emergency lanes on the side.  Apparently October 19 they close the bridge down to allow people to parachute off it.  

108ABE68-1315-4D35-9ECC-19B55E56BC0F.jpeg

52499B71-7E74-4BE9-91BB-E4668DECA527.png

D477D7B0-7C0E-4C14-A836-9FEE6BFA867F.jpeg

another challenge for her indoors  after she cussed you call it a present she cant refuse😀

Impressive the height and span of it when you see all the tall buildings under it and relation to it size. With it being where it is you have nothing to compare its size in your photo.

There are some stunning feats of engineering in modern bridges around the world.

Ditchy that Sky Bridge is some huge master price.

I was surprised at the sheer number of new bridges in China on the grand tour.

Edited by figgy

6 hours ago, welsh1 said:

Impressive, but the Sapper in me is thinking a few well placed charges of PE and it would be all over bar the fat bird singing.

Oh it wasn't only me then!:lol:

6 hours ago, welsh1 said:

A little PE4 in the right place can cause an awful lot of damage, then the weight of the structure takes over and finishes the job.

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

It is all you deserve!:P

:lol:

9 hours ago, ditchman said:

nice bridge.............

Millau Viaduct by Norman Foster

arnt the Danish thinking of doing something spectacular..?..........14 kilometres long over some "straight" connecting 2 islands....... ?

biggest one i did was 2 telegraph poles as a ligger on a shoot....we put a hand rail on it and chicken wire on the deck to stop folk slipping....that was 20 years ago and it is still there maintenance free.................Sir Norman Foster eat yer heart out ..:lol:

Just now, Newbie to this said:

I'm just going to leave this here - 

409624900_TowerBridge.jpg.4985f33ffa77c65b07cf8858715e4606.jpg

when this bridge was built ..the authorites had to close the upper walkway as it was the best hangout for local prositutes.....

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

arnt the Danish thinking of doing something spectacular..?..........14 kilometres long over some "straight" connecting 2 islands....... ?

biggest one i did was 2 telegraph poles as a ligger on a shoot....we put a hand rail on it and chicken wire on the deck to stop folk slipping....that was 20 years ago and it is still there maintenance free.................Sir Norman Foster eat yer heart out ..:lol:

We took a semi truck flat bed and laid across a creek.  Didn’t even take the axles of.  The quotes we got was up to 50k and 4 months to bridge the creek and we did it with a $500 trailer in 45 minutes.