Rarely am impressed with anything man made. But this bridge is amazing.

NoBodyImportant

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, oowee said:

That bridge looks a bit ott to me. Here is our new village bridge. Soon to be opened by JRM.

austrian00.jpg

Money well spent shipping that over from Kazakhstan, allegedly built by Austro Hungarian prisoners of war  during WW1, so keeps Brussels happy, using EU workforce ?

At 1.2 billion euros , its a vital part of EU heritage , preserved for posterity in sleepy North Somerset :lol:

3 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Money well spent shipping that over from Kazakhstan, allegedly built by Austro Hungarian prisoners of war  during WW1, so keeps Brussels happy, using EU workforce ?

At 1.2 billion euros , its a vital part of EU heritage , preserved for posterity in sleepy North Somerset :lol:

1.2 billion was just the build price.  The environmental study and the rehoming of a rare endangered  grass hopper pushed the cost to almost 2 billion. 😂 

Edited by NoBodyImportant

8 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

1.2 billion was just the build price.  The environmental study and the rehoming of a rare endangered  grass hopper pushed the cost to almost 2 billion. 😂 

Forgot import taxes too , and EU tariffs , 2.5 billion , still cheap for a piece of EU history :lol:

10 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I drove about 300 miles north today to snatch a shotgun off gunbroker.  Well I crossed this bridge and had to turn around and drive around it to get a better angle to look at it.  Apparently it’s the 3rd largest arch bridge in the world according to the plaque.  It’s in West Virginia and I honestly can’t believe it was built by man.  The pictures really don’t do it justice.  It looks so small on camera.  Its wide enough for 6-8 lanes of traffic but they only have 4 lanes open with huge emergency lanes on the side.  Apparently October 19 they close the bridge down to allow people to parachute off it.  

108ABE68-1315-4D35-9ECC-19B55E56BC0F.jpeg

52499B71-7E74-4BE9-91BB-E4668DECA527.png

D477D7B0-7C0E-4C14-A836-9FEE6BFA867F.jpeg

NBI Google, Ironbridge Gorge bridge, Shropshire, England and see the first bridge of this type in the world!.....under 50 miles from where I live! 🙄 Lol!

The world seems to think the UK is all about London........when the birthplace of the industrial revolution was around Birmingham and the Midlands of England!

1 minute ago, panoma1 said:

NBI Google, Ironbridge Gorge bridge, Shropshire, England and see the first bridge of this type in the world!.....under 50 miles from where I live! 🙄 Lol!

The world seems to think the UK is all about London........when the birthplace of the industrial revolution was around Birmingham and the Midlands of England!

Just did, it’s a beautiful design 

1 minute ago, panoma1 said:

The world seems to think the UK is all about London........when the birthplace of the industrial revolution was around Birmingham and the Midlands of England

Great place, also Blists hill Victorian village, like going back in time to the 1800s .https://www.ironbridge.org.uk/explore/blists-hill-victorian-town/?gclid=CjwKCAjwxOvsBRAjEiwAuY7L8gmdMJyHpaZExWDZcvCW2fbb2-mG3o6IqQOtiGhvLVFQwd3xOVVVKBoC-mAQAvD_BwE

5 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Also the Black Country Living Museum, like going back in time! See a replica of the original anchor from the Titanic, that was made in nearby Netherton Dudley.....buy real old style fish and chips cooked with lard there.......or more recently where a lot of scenes from the TV drama series “Peaky Blinders” (a real Birmingham Gang!) is filmed!

Nice view for last one.

Bit like beachy head.

They seem drawn to these places with no thought of the mess they leave behind. 

Jump of the sky bridge in France and they just wait till the rain washes you away 

Edited by figgy

1 hour ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Just did, it’s a beautiful design 

Because it was the first of its kind they still built what they knew which was timber bridges. 

All the members and joints are (or are very close to) what you would find on a bridge made of timber. 

Fascinating to see up close. 

I love a good bridge - St Johns bridge, Portland, OR is a cracker. 

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

Also the Black Country Living Museum, like going back in time! See a replica of the original anchor from the Titanic, that was made in nearby Netherton Dudley.....buy real old style fish and chips cooked with lard there.......or more recently where a lot of scenes from the TV drama series “Peaky Blinders” (a real Birmingham Gang!) is filmed!

This is fantastic museum. Legging through the tunnels to the singing cavern being another highlight.

I put some cash from the EU to fund the relocation of Rolfe Street Baths from Smethwick to the museum. 

The transporter bridges are impressive too.

Transporter Bridge, Middlesbrough, UK stock photo

Transporter Bridge, Middlesbrough, UK stock photography