Zero'd a .22 SMK Victory L3600 - yuk!

Dave-G

The potential future grandson in law told me he'd bought an air rifle and would I zero it for him. Well I was expecting him to arrange a time he could accompany me with it but he sent it up with the wife when she visited granddaughter. 

Anyway it turned out to be a nasty feeling springer to me - (being used to a PCP) There was a scope sort of barely clamped on its 'rails' with its unsuitable mounts, backwards - with the turrets facing equally  upwards sort of like a pair of ears. So I guess a shop didn't set it up for him. :ermm:

Well I got it zero'd as near as I can at 30 yards but I was struggling to see my target lines using just the 'iron sights' 

I don't think he has particularly good eyesight either and - the scope mounts simply aren't going to hold it to the teensy rail grooves - and they locate the scope with quite a major cant. Is there a specific type of mount for the barely there grooves on these things?

Son has a SMK he got off his friend, bloody awful thing, his has one scope mount I said it's ok I've got some I'm not using. Didn't fit the dovetails. He asked me to fettle it but it's not worth the time, de burr and re lube they gave it and they took the trigger apart then couldn't get it back together. I recut the sear so it bit along its full width. Hope you get your future grandchild's grouping ok. 

I'd be tempted to fling it and surprise him with a decent used cheap HW or BSA, more chance of him enjoying shooting.

Let us all know how it goes.

5 hours ago, figgy said:

Son has a SMK he got off his friend, bloody awful thing, his has one scope mount I said it's ok I've got some I'm not using. Didn't fit the dovetails. He asked me to fettle it but it's not worth the time, de burr and re lube they gave it and they took the trigger apart then couldn't get it back together. I recut the sear so it bit along its full width. Hope you get your future grandchild's grouping ok. 

I'd be tempted to fling it and surprise him with a decent used cheap HW or BSA, more chance of him enjoying shooting.

Let us all know how it goes.

Thanks for hint on the mount - I had the same inkling but wanted to hear from people who have been there and sorted it. I have one piece on one of my HMR's and it looks to be able to snick into those tiny grooves better than the nasties it came with. trigger is also heavy and unpredictable.

As for letting you know how it goes... He's very impulsive and has a bit of a strop sometimes, often skips work with a hangover... of some sort, apparently spends most the job time on the phone - 'working' with his dads employee. If he'd asked me for advice before buying it would have shown he's getting more responsible and sensible but he's so brash I'm tempted to let him lie in the bed he made for himself and hope he gives up trying. I don't currently see him as a future shooting buddy TBH.

You could drill and put a small peg in the receiver to stop creep if it don't have one. And just zero it close and hand it back. 

Don't bother with the trigger, the internals look like they been pressed out of scrap.i used a fine diamond hone to recut my son's just to make it safe rather than trying lighten and make it more crisp. Still creeps like a creepy thing and is stupid heavy. 

I think the Hatsan air guns are much much better to shoot.