Diplomatic immunity?

Retsdon

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, JDog said:

There are some deeply immoral views being expressed on this thread.

Agreed. 

So essentially you can kill someone and get away with it without even giving an account. 

She's being absolutely hammered on social media and if she did what is alleged then hopefully it continues. 

1 minute ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I don’t agree with the institution of immunity but I understand it.  

I'm no expert, I'll have to do some reading but surely there's a limit to what the immunity covers. 

Minor things like going through a red light, not being subject to searches ect. 

Surely not ending a life. That's quite a big deal. 

5 minutes ago, Muddy Funker said:

I'm no expert, I'll have to do some reading but surely there's a limit to what the immunity covers. 

Minor things like going through a red light, not being subject to searches ect. 

Surely not ending a life. That's quite a big deal. 

If I remember correctly it covers everything,   I vaguely remember a case in the US where a guy would drive drunk every weekend and he finally killed a guy.  I will have to search it to find out.  Edit:  yes it did protect him but the Georgians decided to prosecute him.   

Edited by NoBodyImportant

5 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I understand where your coming from.  But if I made a mistake and the law couldn’t touch me I wouldn’t voluntarily go to jail.  It wouldn’t bring the kid back.  

I’m not sure anyone is disputing accidents can and do happen, but to use such a clause to flee from facing the consequences of your actions is deplorable in my opinion. 
Why so called diplomats and their families such be immune from facing the consequences of their actions is beyond me, but there you go. 
Your last paragraph leaves me with the impression that if you accidentally killed someone and there were no witnesses, you would leave the scene and the incident  unreported. After all, as you say, it’s not going to bring back the deceased. Weird. 

Edited by Scully

Just now, Scully said:

I’m not sure anyone is disputing accidents can and do happen, but to use such a clause to flee from faving the consequences of your actions is deplorable in my opinion. 
Why so called diplomats and their families such be immune from facing the consequences of their actions is beyond me, but there you go. 
Your last paragraph leaves me with the impression that if you accidentally killed someone and there were no witnesses, you would leave the scene and the incident  unreported. After all, as you say, it’s not going to bring back the deceased. Weird. 

It exists to stop wars between countries over actions of diplomates.  I would never leave the seen of an accident but if I did accidentally kill someone I would lawyer up and use the law to mid-agate the effect on my life.  

4 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

I seem to remember years ago, a diplomat's son stabbed someone to death at a pertol station and was using diplomatic immunity to avoid justice.

Can't remember what embassy he was from or the final outcome and I'm struggling to find it on Google.

I think I may remember something like this, it was Arab guy if I remember correctly. 

Whenever I hear the words "diplomatic immunity" I hear them in a sneering South African accent delivered by Joss Ackland.

I bet I'm not alone.

Incidentally, diplomatic immunity stretches to spouses / off-spring to stop any foreign power "getting at" a diplomat by going through his or her family. It is tragic and not right but there are bigger issues at stake and there is / was never ever any chance whatsoever of the Yanks nibbling into the diplomatic immunity regime over this.

Indeed I bet the woman had no intention of flying back to the US and that it was the US State department that worked out that getting her on a plane and home asap was the best option, that that this will all blow over a lot quicker once everyone knows she's gone and not coming back (and which it will).

Like I said, it's not fair and my heart goes out to the family but this is one of those terrible 'taking it for the team' moments.

If you think about it, if there were some sort of precedence / case law for a waiver of diplomatic immunity for spouses in road traffic accidents, then in every hostile foreign country there will be a line of agents ready to throw locals under motorcades to get relatives of diplomats into custody.

Edited by Mungler

1 hour ago, wyn said:

Do they drive on the right inside US airbases (in the UK) then swap to the left when they come out of the gates?

I wondered this myself, but apparently they don't. https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14370 . But the point I made up the thread about inadvertently turning the wrong way still stands. It's really easy to do, even after having being in country for a while. On that score I was given a very good tip an old ex-pat when I first arrived here. And the tip was  - don't think about being on the left or the right, just make sure you put yourself and the steering wheel in the middle of the road  and your passenger kerbside, and as long as your car is local you won't be wrong. And it works. It's easier to remember NEVER TO BE  kerbside than to remember to be either on the left or right. 

1 minute ago, Retsdon said:

I wondered this myself, but apparently they don't. https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14370 . But the point I made up the thread about inadvertently turning the wrong way still stands. It's really easy to do, even after having being in country for a while. On that score I was given a very good tip an old ex-pat when I first arrived here. And the tip was  - don't think about being on the left or the right, just make sure you put yourself and the steering wheel in the middle of the road  and your passenger kerbside, and as long as your car is local you won't be wrong. And it works. It's easier to remember NEVER TO BE  kerbside than to remember to be either on the left or right. 

Unless the car is a LHD! Lol! :whistling:

4 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

It exists to stop wars between countries over actions of diplomates.  I would never leave the seen of an accident but if I did accidentally kill someone I would lawyer up and use the law to mid-agate the effect on my life.  

How ironic. I can see how this incident could cause one if it weren't between the two countries concerned. 

2 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Nope, but didn’t realise by ‘local’ you were specifically referring to a car being RHD?

It doesn't matter if the car is RHD or LHD, as long as you're driving it where it was designed to be driven. If you go anywhere and hire a car it will be 'local', and the advice is good. Anyway, it's not a big deal but for anyone driving a strange car in a strange country the thought might prove useful. It's got me onto the correct side a few times..

Of course it won't hold good if you drive a British car on the continent. :)

Just now, Retsdon said:

It doesn't matter if the car is RHD or LHD, as long as you're driving it where it was designed to be driven. If you go anywhere and hire a car it will be 'local', and the advice is good. Anyway, it's not a big deal but for anyone driving a strange car in a strange country the thought might prove useful. It's got me onto the correct side a few times..

Of course it won't hold good if you drive a British car on the continent.

The original comment I made about it not being applicable if it were LHD, was meant to be amusing, not taken seriously......I do understand what you were saying!👍