Struggling to find a .416 moderator

njc110381

A bit of a long shot, but I know we have some pretty experienced shooters and gunsmiths among us. Has anyone got or seen a muzzle forward .416 moderator? I'm after one for my Rigby and so far none of the big names seem to have anything available that isn't for the big sniper calibres (2kg+!). Any help would be much appreciated.

I really want to stick with a muzzle forward can so I can keep my front sight. I did think of reaming out an SL6i but the baffle design doesn't allow for it. The could be an option if something strong exists with cone baffles, but I've not found anything like that either so far! A .458 mod would probably do, but that would be like using a .308 mod on a 22!

I've had an email back from Julian at JMS about an MAE muzzle can. Apparently they make one special order. Julian is a decent guy to deal with in my past experience and I like MAE mods, so there's a good chance I'll probably go with that. Jackson's were going to be my next port of call, although I already spoke with someone about the Ase mods and they don't make one. I wouldn't want an A-Tec after my last one blew up and Peter offered to swap it for an Ase - I nearly had his hand off at the chance!

8 hours ago, dodeer said:

What do you use a .416 for that needs a mod?

I fire it. That's enough of an excuse for me! There's 108gr of Reloder 22 behind my bullet at maximum load. A mod will save my eyes from going funny after ten rounds! 

On a more serious note, it's conditioned for deer and AOLQ. I plan to take it deer stalking with a lower charge and bullet weight now and again so the neighbours will appreciate the reduced noise. It's not big and manly to put up with huge recoil and blast, it's silly. If I can reduce it and do my ears and body a favour whilst still enjoying the gun then why not? It means I get to use it more often. You don't want to be taking a safe queen to hunt game that can kill you, you want to know your rifle inside out and the best way to achieve that is to use it as much as you can.

8 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

Personally I’d not upset the balance of a rifle I may have to swing and shoot instinctively at a fast moving target especially if it is dangerous.  

However if you wish to I believe mae are the only ones to offer a hunting type moderator for a 400 calibre rifle. 

There's certainly some merit to that point. For stalking use though it will be a very different situation to moving targets. If I gain plenty of experience with it in both situations I'm hoping they will both become fairly natural. I have a running boar range near me to shoot on without the mod at moving targets

44 minutes ago, njc110381 said:

There's certainly some merit to that point. For stalking use though it will be a very different situation to moving targets. If I gain plenty of experience with it in both situations I'm hoping they will both become fairly natural. I have a running boar range near me to shoot on without the mod at moving targets

Have you tried it on the  moles yet !!!

On 08/10/2019 at 22:33, CharlieT said:

Have you tried it on the  moles yet !!!

Not yet. It appears they must have heard about that little incident and are keeping their heads down. If the shot presents itself I'll take it though. It's not something that happens often but I'm fairly sure the calibre will be humane!