Sat Navs

Bobba

I'm looking for recommendations to replace my geriatric Garmin. Around the £150'ish is my limit.

I'm looking for one that updates maps for free, gives updated traffic reports and you can temporarily disable the speed camera function (for driving in France). I have no experience of TomTom and I know maps are a personal choice but which have maps (Garmin / TomTom) more in keeping with iPhone. Wide brief I know but advice based on personal experience is always helpful.

For a number of reasons I do not wish to use my iPhone not least of which is they rely on 'phone signals and three times last week in France I didn't have a signal. And the need to update my current Garmin (at a price) became apparent when the road I was on did not exist.

if you use google maps on your phone or tablet you can download large ares of map and not rely on phone signal. It also updates that download automatically. My misses does just that (community nurse). personally I use an app called co pilot. uk/ireland map is downloaded to device and updated for free. it cost me £20 a few years ago and costs nothing for upgrades. i've moved it to a newer phone for free as well. They do apple and android versions.

Two things here. If you are in business and travel alot and maybe visit many different sites in a day, then I believe satnavs can be very helpful.   If you just have one journey, then before I leave, I pull up Google maps, bring up the advised route/s make a slection and then run along that route checking each junction.  Either rmember it or make notes.  I usually do both but rarely do I have to refer to the notes as running the route , junction to junction on Google Maps road view is like I have been there before.

If you are limited to price then pull up all those at or near that price on Google and make a choice.  It is very difficult to advise as everyone has different needs.

MIND!!   I have one of those old fashioned books called Atlas in my glove locker as well:lol: