Mentor Query

dm800

4 hours ago, Scully said:

I’ve never known anyone who has had a mentoring ‘condition’ on their ticket ....now I think of it I haven’t met anyone who has been mentored either. There is some truly farcical and illogical legislation regarding firearms in the UK. 
It isn’t surprising to find much of it is ignored at times. 

I have been a mentor for a few people. As time goes on I am less and less inclined to be one. It tends to be imposed for CF only so they can go out with a .17 HMR that is a totally safe and harmless round on their own and then I have to go with them for using a .223 for example. When I am happy that they are safe I tell the police and they remove the condition. If the legislation gets any more complicated nobody is going to want to be a mentor. 

I agree with a number of your points and my general feeling is that the police should either grant a FAC or not. I moved from a .223 to a .270 and they were a little bit funny about this until I pointed out that both are pretty lethal if you make a mistake. FEOs dont seem to understand logic at times. 

1 hour ago, WelshMike said:

so they can go out with a .17 HMR that is a totally safe and harmless round

Say what.. Any round is deadly, what do most of us use them for... Pest control. 

The 'restricted / open' conditions are not worth the paper they are written on. Its a completely useless setup. 

I am cleared on a mates land up to 308. He has been shooting years and has an open ticket, if his land was cleared for 243 on my ticket, he could still use a 308 on that very same land under an open ticket... So police says its safe for me at 243 yet an open ticket can use what they feel is safe, even if in fact its not. 

14 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Say what.. Any round is deadly, what do most of us use them for... Pest control. 

The 'restricted / open' conditions are not worth the paper they are written on. Its a completely useless setup. 

I am cleared on a mates land up to 308. He has been shooting years and has an open ticket, if his land was cleared for 243 on my ticket, he could still use a 308 on that very same land under an open ticket... So police says its safe for me at 243 yet an open ticket can use what they feel is safe, even if in fact its not. 

I accept that the whole system is a mess but I am not sure I follow what you are saying. We all take the shot that we deem to be safe if that be for a hmr or a 308. Even if it's cleared for .243 it does not mean that its safe to shoot a .243, it is still upto the individual to take a safe shot. The only thing that the police are doing is saying with a closed ticket they want to see the land first. With an open ticket the shooter can decide.

I would like to think that the process would challenge shooters to think more about where they shoot but I don't think it even does that. The current system here in Avon is that after 5 years on renewal you get an open ticket regardless. This to me makes no sense if they do that after 5 years why not do it from the outset? 

1 hour ago, oowee said:

I accept that the whole system is a mess but I am not sure I follow what you are saying. We all take the shot that we deem to be safe if that be for a hmr or a 308. Even if it's cleared for .243 it does not mean that its safe to shoot a .243, it is still upto the individual to take a safe shot. The only thing that the police are doing is saying with a closed ticket they want to see the land first. With an open ticket the shooter can decide.

I would like to think that the process would challenge shooters to think more about where they shoot but I don't think it even does that. The current system here in Avon is that after 5 years on renewal you get an open ticket regardless. This to me makes no sense if they do that after 5 years why not do it from the outset? 

I'm saying the system is flawed also something I might think is not safe you may be happy to take, there are loads of factors, personally if not use a thermal scope as it restricts what you can see in my opinion, yet some love them and use them alot. 

Also how does the feo know what the land is safe to, what rule book are they going by. It goes back to the same as above, everyone will look at a shot and see and think differently. 

Edited by ShootingEgg

2 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Sorry mate, that was very tongue in cheek hence the comment. It highlights the stupidity of it all. Must put :lol: next time  lol 

• 1 month later...