My first game shoot

Jacko3275

2 hours ago, JMsTV said:

should of gone for the high one 

I know little of driven days as I've never been on one. But your correct in saying you should have went for that higher crossing duck. Also from what I can gather you mounted your gun to soon and were pointing ! Maybe a few rounds of skeet would help with your technique.

Move,mount, shoot  is the way to go as it is all done in a fluent fashion. I'd imagine it was a great experience all the same. If you had of hit one of them ducks I'm sure it would have looked liked an exploding feather pillow. 

Its good that you enjoyed your first game shoot and I hope you choose to do many more and post the videos here.

Like everything else its a learning experience, anyone born knowing it all is lucky.
I recall my first driven days as me being not very relaxed, rushing things and anxious not to miss, or look stupid.
Once you have a few shoots under your belt you will relax more, take your time,  probably not feel the need to premount your gun, pick your birds and really enjoy the day.
Relax is the key word.

19 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

I know little of driven days as I've never been on one. But your correct in saying you should have went for that higher crossing duck. Also from what I can gather you mounted your gun to soon and were pointing ! Maybe a few rounds of skeet would help with your technique.

Move,mount, shoot  is the way to go as it is all done in a fluent fashion. I'd imagine it was a great experience all the same. If you had of hit one of them ducks I'm sure it would have looked liked an exploding feather pillow. 

The gun was mounted as picked another but It flew in to someone else’s path I did hit it it dropped behind me

Edited by Jacko3275

Ah ok. As I said I am not familiar with the do's and dont's of driven days.

I'm not criticizing,and I'm only offering some advice on shooting tecnique. 

I understand that you were being mannerly as the duck veered off and offered another gun next to you a shot.My advice still stands on your mounting the gun too early though (even for the Ist bird) . And secondly as I have learned very early in my shooting career, it is not wise to switch birds at the last minute as it usually results in a miss or in your case ''bumming that duck'' as you were shooting behind.

As I said I was only offering a friendly piece of advice on fluent shooting.👍

Edited by SuperGoose75

It's his first driven day and I dare say it was fairly exciting maybe even a little in awe of it all. So no one else has ever shot a low bird in similar sircumstances. I still see so called experienced shots take the odd low one. I am sure next time the op will be a bit more selective, glad you had a good day. 

18 minutes ago, B725 said:

It's his first driven day and I dare say it was fairly exciting maybe even a little in awe of it all. So no one else has ever shot a low bird in similar sircumstances. I still see so called experienced shots take the odd low one. I am sure next time the op will be a bit more selective, glad you had a good day. 

But most would not post a video of themselves doing it!:whistling:

2 hours ago, B725 said:

Maybe TC but at least he's being honest. 👍

Fair comment , the thing is if he haven't been on a driven day before how was he to know what to expect ? , he just said other guns who were more experienced than himself were taking on lower birds than he was lifting his gun to .

I dare say some shoots have got driven duck drives down to a fine art and well worth putting the drive on .

I have seen several driven reared duck drives , and to tell you the truth , I haven't seen a good yet , maybe our terrain is far to flat ? we have got a wild duck drive on ours and you still get a few low Mallard come out to begin with but as soon as the shooting start then it's all hell let loose , the Teal climb like rockets and a lot of the duck go back and out the sides, and it is all over in a matter of minutes , on a normal day the bag can range from about a dozen to around 20 / 25, all wild. 

On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 22:43, Wilts#Dave said:

Blimey, how low were they! 

pillow cases shooting not impressed try/  Exeter/  wales  /Cotswolds / Scotland/  Norfolk /the  wolds   stretch your barrels a bit  or just pick your birds   not impressed  shooting fish in a barrel  not impressed at all 

excuse me edited re first day driven shooting  forgive me as inexperienced  ,,  you  didn't know any better now try  to strive to a better quality target with pheasant shooting its all about the terrain  flat is  ****.             mountainous  woodlands excellent              stretch your ability and  kill cleanly  regardless         shooting in a ravine with woods  on top given a 20yrds lead, , shoot empty your gun, reload close your gun , before a target folds up dead  consistently  you will remember  every kill to your death bed  two quality birds are better than 100 non descript          got the gold cufflinks for shooting the bird of the day a woodpigeon  a hell of a distance dead in the air  pheasants flapping about all over the place  ( be a sportsman kill cleanly  consistently   not greedy   ) as a sportsman you will get invited where others fail  overstep the mark you will  sit at home non greedy is welcome anywhere only you can ****** it up enjoy the season and the future seasons 

Edited by Saltings

Not mentioned but ALWAYS stay at your peg till a picker up appears and mark your birds down, particularly any that you thought might be runners and even after personally shooting for 60yrs at these birds, we still wing one occcasionally, I just haven't got so good that I kill everything stone dead at astronomical ranges.    I also do not pick my birds myself as pickers up have come with their dogs to enjoy the day as much as you have.  It is good manners, rarely seen today, where a gun with a dog waits to ask a picker up if he can join in and visa versa.

ALWAYS   go to the beaters and pickers up at the end of the day and say thankyou.

With reference to the present fashion of attempting to shoot 60 and 70yrds birds I sometimes wonder how many of those birds fly on pricked to died or suffer and not get picked.  How many of those guns tell pickers up they might have pricked one or two and where they might find them.

Edited by Walker570

12 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

This what not to do as nick a bird that’s someone  else’s and cheers for the slagging off when there was more experienced shots taking lower birds than me... thanks B725 for the support

Nothing wrong with your technique on that crossing bird! Good shot!

The next gun obviously didn't have the manners you had on your first video.

Thanks for posting 

not going to be critical here as we all started somewhere advice often given is watch the other guns on the day 

you did better than them 😊

and to be honest for a novice a very dead bird is better than a lot of pricked ones 

game shooting is a hard apprenticeship and I’m sure you learned a lot from the day 

I doubt that they would have got any better birds on the ground which was probably why it’s the price it is  

have a good season 

of 
ps you looked very smart 😊 

Edited by Old farrier

I for one hope you enjoyed your first day and hope that it leads to many more for you!

If you haven't worked it out my now Pigeon watch is heavily populated by Perfect individuals who never post videos, photos or write ups of there own exploits but will gladly belittle anyone else for doing so! Very few people are born knowing it all or turn up to there first driven day with ever bird being 40 yard plus, sometimes I wonder how this forum continues to exist with the negativity directed towards people, is it any wonder the number of videos & photos being posted is so low?

Well done, mate, it is a very steep learning curve. We all miss and all shoot at birds we shouldn't. Enjoy yourself and be safe, polite and respectful of our quarry and you will take lots from it. Enjoy the social side of the shooting too, there are some fantastic people from all walks of life who shoot. Always thank the shoot captain, beaters, pickers up, drivers, gamekeepers, cooks, hangers on, farmers. They make it all work....

23 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Thanks for posting 

not going to be critical here as we all started somewhere advice often given is watch the other guns on the day 

you did better than them 😊

and to be honest for a novice a very dead bird is better than a lot of pricked ones 

game shooting is a hard apprenticeship and I’m sure you learned a lot from the day 

I doubt that they would have got any better birds on the ground which was probably why it’s the price it is  

have a good season 

of 
ps you looked very smart 😊 

+2 for that. Couldn't agree more.  Glad you enjoyed your first day.

Today I was stood behind a couple of experienced guns and at least 5 had been pillow cased one was no more than 15 yards and going away so Jacko don't worry it happens all the time but a lot won't admit it. Next time you go forget what happened try to be a little more selective but above anything else enjoy your day, and don't forget to tell about it warts an all 👍