HW95 fettling

figgy

After reading DaveG post on sorting a SMK I spent the afternoon trynig to sort out a very jumpy lively HW95.

Bought it years ago unseen, supposedly tuned. Never liked shooting it so today set about fettling it a bit.  Stripped it down and it's had a tuning kit fitted, not sure which one. Looked online and it looks similar to a TB one but without the top hat. Got a PTFE liner in the piston and PTFE washers in the base black spring guide a black round after market coil spring. 

Started by removing all the old moly lubes it was caked in and polished a bit of scuffed  wear off the piston behind the the seal. Then looked at the piston engagement sear and used a diamond hone to polish it smooth as it had machining lines in it. Done the same with sear in trigger that it pairs with as they were very rough. Then the tackled the sear at the trigger this was better just a fine polish.Re lubed with a little moly gun grease and oiled the pins in the trigger group. Reassembled and now very smooth to cock.

Will shoot a fair few through it over next few days to bed in and chrono it.

Only problem it still jumps like a sxs with heavy carts does. The barrel was shortened to around nine or ten inches with a re crown and long Parker Hale moderator that works ok. Mate can put pellet on pellet with it, me shotgun patterns. Had loads of springers from being a child and tuned many airguns over the years. This thing I sodding hate, never was a fan of Wine racks, looks like one for my son.

Good luck with it figgy.

I've had a couple of HW95's one in .22 and the other .177. Neither were fettled or tuned and i thought both were dogs out of the box so it got shot of them.

On the other hand my HW80 is...... eh uum ...fantastic. 

Custom Stock CS500, specially selected dark walnut with rosewood pistol grip cap, stippling and Wegu buttpad.
Rowan Engineering extra-setback trigger.
Rowan Engineering trigger guard.
Deben Whisper 180 silencer.
TbT Pro Tuning Kit installed, including short-stroke extension.

The ONLY downside is it's a bit heavy.  :whistling:

HW80KCS500.jpg

This is so smooth when cocking it, the trigger is crisp on the break. Then it jumps on firing the piston forward.

I will try a hundred or so pellets tomorrow and chrono a few through the lot see how it's settling. Could be a bit of dieseling from the strip and rebuild. Smelled the smoke today.

Maybe you're just expecting too much smoothness from a mid level spring gun,  I hadn't touched mine for months then had to grab and re-zero it as I'd nicked the Nikko Stirling scope off it to put on my rimmie, 10 shots later it was singing at 15 yards :) (with a cheap Walther) off to the farmers barn whose daughter had asked me to clear the ferals from the main yards barn. Managed to drop 7 with the 18g JSB's (which I'd selected to try and avoid over penetration into the metal roof etc,) - what amazes me about this gun time after time is how easy it is to cock, how accurate it is and how quiet and relatively smooth it is for an untuned gun ! The main problem by far was the scope which had a real job picking out the birds at such close range in the rather low light levels. 

On an aside, the inside of this long barn is absolutely stunning with massive wooden pillars and roof struts, you could almost just clear the rubbish away and turn it into four houses in a week, I'm certain that's exactly what's going to happen when the old boy goes. 😥 

Well tried putting around 50 shots through it.

Chronoed it and getting a spread of 100 FPS so it must be still dieseling. I'll try again tomorrow, see what's it doing then. When at its lowest fps it was ok to shoot, at the higher jumpy and awful. 

Edited by figgy

13 minutes ago, figgy said:

Chronoed it and getting a spread of 100 FPS so it must be still dieseling. I'll try again tomorrow, see what's it doing then. When at its lowest fps it was ok to shoot, at the higher jumpy and awful. 

That's insane variation, something very very wrong somewhere I'm afraid. FWIW dieseling alone won't cause that kind of spread, prob best send it to a custom tuner and be guaranteed of quick results. 

9 hours ago, figgy said:

Bits of **** figgy as i implied earlier. Spend £200 quid with someone who knows what's what and then you might have a hope in hell.      

I'd rather put the £200.00 towards another gun.

I'll rip this one apart again and strip the liner and washers out of the piston. Replace them with a kit and see what's what. If I still don't like it, I will leave it as is and get rid of it.

Well took it outside and shot over a hundred through it. It's settling down nicely and the FPS spread has dropped to around ten FPS with most being below five FPS difference. Had pellet on pellet at 20yards for three or four shots then clover leaf for ten. Need a different scope on it the SMK 3-9x40 it came with is fine the it will jump the poi 6" high. Wind it back down and great for a bit then does it again.

Glad I'm getting there with it, was ready to get rid of the bloody thing.

Never thought anything about the banding to the rear of the piston tube when I stripped it to clean and polish the Sears. After watching some YouTube videos on tuning He guns it seems the seller was telling the truth when he said this gun had been tuned. 

Thanks for the replied and advice.

Edited by figgy

• 4 months later...

I tuned my 98 before Xmas ,new spring n I made my own guides .Put a bearing ring on back of skirt n it turned out great ,very smooth it was doing over 14ftlb                         Ended up stripping it down three times to keep taking coils off ,got it down to just over 11ftlb 

first outing 

C6852DDD-1CC2-463F-9AA9-1FBE7EDF66F9.jpeg

• 10 months later...

Hi guys 

I have experienced  the same things on my hw98...removed  first coil spring and been doing 13.4 with TbT kit ....stripped down second time and remove coil spring again....and the power drop down to 11.2 which is fine for me....I really like this rifle. I'm waiting for a new spring guide as the one which is  fitted currently is a bit loose in the spring  .... I have discussed with Nick about this.....and the new spring guide 14.2 mm replacement   is on his way to me...

As I said I have just a TbT kit fitted on it ....no magic touch....no hundreds pound's spent....and it does the job lovely...I'm a happy owner of a beautiful hw98 air rifle 😜😜😜

20201230_143556.jpg

Edited by Vlad