HW95 fettling

figgy

My carbine work tends to be cut an crown the barrel adjust port to up velocity (you tend to lose it with cutting inc's off) cut springs to take it down and smooth the action and re-time the piston so to speak and use packers for adjusting the pre-load and sub pound energy level once your around the 11lbs mark.

Not a clue about the spring make, it's round coil, when I next strip it down I'll take measurements of the wire and coil. 

Chas I agree, take it below power and pack back up to fine tune with slip washers. 

I've already ported mine and will reduce the piston weight, it's banded at the moment. Undecided on keeping the band's or whether to button it to reduce friction further.  Inside the cylinder is polished so I might short stroke it with piston spacer behind the piston washer.

Hi guys 

I was thinking for a while  to fit  a Short Strocke Extensions on my hw98 ...In the end decided to go for it....I'm impressed with the results 🤩 !!! I like it so much....I really  like the way that my 98  is shooting now with this  10mm Short Strocke Extensions....FAST ,SMOOTH AND SHORT KICK IN THE END !!!

20210118_120158.jpg

On 19/01/2021 at 12:36, Vlad said:

Hi guys 

I was thinking for a while  to fit  a Short Strocke Extensions on my hw98 ...In the end decided to go for it....I'm impressed with the results 🤩 !!! I like it so much....I really  like the way that my 98  is shooting now with this  10mm Short Strocke Extensions....FAST ,SMOOTH AND SHORT KICK IN THE END !!!

20210118_120158.jpg

What amount of power did it lose by short stroking 10mm Vlad?

Hi mate 

By removing 2 coil spring rings  and having fitted just the Top Hat and the Rear Spring Guide  the power was 1147,60  ft.lb Which was something uncomfortable for my self ( probably just a personal preference) being that close to the limit of 12ft.lb  After fitting the Short Strocke Extensions Kit the power dropped to  1061,20 ft.lb 

On 21/01/2021 at 15:32, Vlad said:

Hi mate 

By removing 2 coil spring rings  and having fitted just the Top Hat and the Rear Spring Guide  the power was 1147,60  ft.lb Which was something uncomfortable for my self ( probably just a personal preference) being that close to the limit of 12ft.lb  After fitting the Short Strocke Extensions Kit the power dropped to  1061,20 ft.lb 

Thanks.....Still over a thousand ft lbs then? 

Vlad I think you have your decimal point in the wrong place.

Just put my HW95 action back together, waiting for my stock to come back from Nath on the the AGF from Christmas charity stock offer.

I think I'm going to short stroke mine, the pre load is next to nothing now after a few mods, I can put the block in the end with my thumb. A little push and turn is all it needs, I've redone the rear Delrin glide band and cut a front groove and Delrin glide banded behind the piston washer, turned the down to a nice free floating fit. HDPE liner around the spring, removed two thin washers and turned down the top hat, giving me back around 5-6mm of reduced preload. 

Turned the piston down between bands removing around 40g of steel from the piston now weighs around 220g plus glide bands.

The porting I did before, rubbed micronised moly powder into the piston seal side and glide bands. 

Here are some pics of the spring,four coils center to centre per inch, 3.27 wire diameter ISH as some places were 3.25 other 3.3 didn't measure the oal  pics added.

The spring has a black coating on it, I didn't polish it as it's riding in a HDPE liner and on Delrin guides so just moly lubed it.

Screenshot_20210124-122557.jpg

Screenshot_20210124-122539.jpg

Edited by figgy