• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, nines said:

Damn...that seems harsh.

I noticed from what research I have done that it seems to be a bit of a postcode lottery. Surprisingly when I did come back out of prison the officer who visited my house didn't care in the slightest about the air rifles I had despite being freshly prohibited from owning anything that went pop at the time. They were even neatly laid out on the living room floor for me before I returned home. 

So you knew you were prohibited from owning them, but did so anyway?  Not being funny, but that doesn't sound like a responsible potential gun owner. 

12 minutes ago, walshie said:

So you knew you were prohibited from owning them, but did so anyway?  Not being funny, but that doesn't sound like a responsible potential gun owner. 

They were there even before I arrived home or knew anything of the ban. I wasn't able to move them over to my grandparents house when I'm not able to return home or even make a phone call. They were at my grandparents house immediately after as I mildly implied in my first post.

Edited by nines

45 minutes ago, nines said:

They were there even before I arrived home or knew anything of the ban. I wasn't able to move them over to my grandparents house when I'm not able to return home or even make a phone call. They were at my grandparents house immediately after as I mildly implied in my first post.

Fair enough. 

4 hours ago, martinj said:

I wonder if they will grant a Shotgun certificate if you don't actually plan procure a gun in the near future, I'm fairly sure you wouldn't be granted a Firearm certificate under the same circumstances.

You might have to ask your Father to agree to give you the gun or loan it to you if the certificate were to be 

Good point. It's very likely to be the case where, assuming I get a certificate, to not even have a gun for the full 5 years the cert will be valid for. He's getting older and had serious health problems but he's by no means at deaths doorstep.

I did look into deactivation a few months back but I heard it's quite the butchering process and rules out the gun ever being used again which I don't want. It'll be mainly for sentimental reasons but in a short of classic car way where I intend on using it occasionally. 

I might call up and the person dealing with certificates later this month during my time off. I'm hoping he might imply a yay or nay but being once prohibited but now no longer has muddied the water a bit.

Edited by nines

2 hours ago, walshie said:

Fair enough. 

It was a bit bizarre how nonchalant they were over it. They didn't even tell me afterwards that they'd been to have a check. I only found out afterwards from a by chance phone call to my mother hours before my phone account was terminated. They were more interested in the shotgun but my dad said "they don't really care" about the air rifles and they didn't even tell him I wasn't allowed to have them. They were never mentioned by anyone ever again, not even my probation officer.

It gave me the hint that perhaps they were just going through the motions rather than any genuine concerns of safety.

What you need to consider is of how much value the gun is. 

You mention its Japanese built which would more than likely be a cheaper gun. Likely a well engineered and built gun, but one that is likely to be in the region of hundreds of pounds rather than thousands. You have to consider the cost of getting a cabinet, cost of applying and renewing your license every 5 years, any doctor reports etc that may be an added cost. Then all the time and hassle involved with this. And it is time and it is hassle. 

What im trying to say is, if it has genuine sentimental value and/or you are likely to use it and it brings you joy when you use it. Go ahead and apply. 

Otherwise, forget it and look at other options whether deactivation or gifting to a friend who has a certificate to care for it. Or even sell it with your dads blessing and use the money to buy something else that you would find beneficial. Otherwise it may prove to be more hassle than its worth. 

If you do intend to apply, it may prove useful to have a use for it rather than just a desire for sentimental reasons. Join a clay ground or some other kind of shooting.

Good luck anyway 

Nash I don't want to say sorry because thay combined with the year and sentnece is more than enough to find out who I am lol. It'll be something to bring up hopefully later this month with the certificate guy/woman, (keep forgetting their job title)

It is indeed a cheapish one. I looks cheap but sure is built solid. The costs don't really bother me, I guess it'll just give me more of an incentive to shoot it rather than bung it in the back of the closet should I ever get it that is.

I'll see if I can get in touch about it with whoever decides on licences later this month. Hopefully he might clear it up.

32 minutes ago, nines said:

Nash I don't want to say sorry because thay combined with the year and sentnece is more than enough to find out who I am lol.

Well Make sure you use the correct details on your application, just so they know who you really are 😂 

the fact that you’re steering clear of mentioning the offence (due to the nature of the offence) makes me think you’re gonna struggle as most who ask this question pretty much all state what it was they did or didn’t do that may cause any issues with a successful SGC application.. good luck 😉 

Edited by TK421

5 minutes ago, bluesj said:

I was under the impression that a custodial sentence of more than 3 months = no sgc or fac ever. But I could be wrong.

Section 21 of the Firearms Act 1968 prohibits a person from possession of any type of firearm if you have been given a custodial sentence when convicted of a criminal offence.

• If you have received a custodial sentence (including a suspended sentence) of between 3 months and 3 years then you are prohibited for a period of 5 years from the date you are released.
  • If you have received a custodial sentence of 3 years or more then you are prohibited for life, from the date of release.

The prohibition may be lifted on application to the Crown Court. For further advice you should consult a solicitor.

I wasn't able to move them over to my grandparents house when I'm not able to return home or even make a phone call. 

Is there something else that you are not telling us or have I missed something? That phrase alone would make alarm bells ring for me.

22 minutes ago, JDog said:

This just has to be the strangest first post and thread ever.

I think the blokes crime is either very weird or deeply shunned but doesn’t attract a big custodial sentence. 

The mere fact he wasn’t to hide it away suggests to me that he likely won’t get a licence. 

The gun also does not appear to be any sort of special gun or significant gun, the fact his father owned it seems almost irrelevant... almost an excuse to suggest he should get a licence. 

Very weird thread. 

19 hours ago, Mr_Nobody said:

First thing to do is join BaSC. You may have no interest in their activities but membership does include legal assistance when it come to license problems. My advice join before you apply.. Then apply and see what happens. If you get your SGC then no worries. If you don't then you will have expert advice available to you for the princely sum of about £80.

i am a member of BASC but i found them no help when i need it!

1 minute ago, andrewluke said:

i am a member of BASC but i found them no help when i need it!

I can’t see BASC being much help to the OP anyway, they step in when the Police May be acting unreasonably and even then they are pretty much toothless. 

The OP has a serious offence that had him in prison for 12 months + supervised in the community for god knows how long ... I imagine he served out the rest of his sentence in the community so who knows how long the actual sentence is for. 

The Police could easily turn down an application for the mystery crime and BASC wouldn’t mount a legal challenge at considerable cost. 

51 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Is there something else that you are not telling us or have I missed something? That phrase alone would make alarm bells ring for me.

Not really. I didn't word it well. What happened was that earlier than expected I was called over for a meeting about my imminent release one afternoon. Afterwards I jumped on the phone and told my parents that I was about to be released the following morning where she told me the police were at the house inspecting the shotgun security. That's was pretty much all she said.

In the evening when I was let out my cell again I went on the phone to try and find out more but I wasn't able to make a call as my phone account was deleted which they do as standard before release to stop the account being handed over to other prisoners. 

Morning came and I was taken to the reception where I was told to sign a form that they hurried over and said "basically you're not allowed anything that goes bang for 5 years". 10 minutes later I was released and almost immediately in breech of the very form I signed jusy 10 minutes earlier as the police who inspected the "shotgun" apparently said he didn't care whatsoever about the air rifles. When I got home 30 minutes later they were still on the living room floor where the police left them the day prior.

Nothing much I could have done about it really. They did end up down my grandparents pretty quickly and I only just taken them back two months ago. I don't think they really would have cared anyway if I kept them from the "mehh, we dont care" impression I got. Not even my probation officer asked any questions about them.

It was a 12 month sentence total. I was let out earlier than though on a tag after just 3 months.

44 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I think the blokes crime is either very weird or deeply shunned but doesn’t attract a big custodial sentence. 

The mere fact he wasn’t to hide it away suggests to me that he likely won’t get a licence. 

The gun also does not appear to be any sort of special gun or significant gun, the fact his father owned it seems almost irrelevant... almost an excuse to suggest he should get a licence. 

Very weird thread. 

Why wouldn't I want it? I never really do get rid of anything handed to me by loved ones who recently died, yet alone if my dad died.

5 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Why not just tell us the type of crime 🤷‍♂️ 

Like me asking a medical expert for the chances of me needing some treatment but I’m not willing to tell him what’s wrong with me 😂

It was a rare crime, or a rare crime and get court. Maybe getting intimate with a texel ewe? 

Plenty do it but not many are stupid enough to get court. 

We could start a book on it. And give the proceeds to a charity for lonely Welsh shepards. 

33 minutes ago, Dougy said:

It was a rare crime, or a rare crime and get court. Maybe getting intimate with a texel ewe? 

Plenty do it but not many are stupid enough to get court. 

We could start a book on it. And give the proceeds to a charity for lonely Welsh shepards. 

How did you know I was Welsh... and you leave my Ewe out of it please! :P