ALDI Car Fault Code Scanner

Munzy

On 12/10/2019 at 16:44, Gordon R said:

I already have an engine code reader. What else does the Aldi model do?

Scratches your head while you ponder what the code actually means. I have a mechanic mate who does my cars and when my cars onboard comp has thrown a fault I thought I'd check it myself. Not so easy, he plugged it in and it could be completely different to the fault code book. One fault code could have numerous causes depending on the car. On some cars they work great.

Edited by figgy

The local garage had plugged their tester in and advised the engine light was on because the MAF was faulty. So I bought a cheap code scanner for about £12 from fleaBay, plugged it in and lo and behold it displayed a fault code. The exact code wasn't listed in the little book that came with the scanner so I Gurgled it and discovered that the code was quite specific to a dirty sensor wire. Some carb cleaner and gentle wiping restored the MAF to full working order. A new MAF would have cost between £100 - 200 depending on brand.

scarecrow243 - sometimes a garage will detect a faulty cat code but just cancel it out as they can be over sensitive. My scanner actually states something like "MAF Sensor working outside normal parameters" no messing with codes etc. My daughter's car threw up a faulty Cat warning but a bottle of Cat cleaner through the engine and it's gone.