EXTINCTION REBELLION PROTEST

big bad lindz

21 minutes ago, DoolinDalton said:

What opinion are you told to hold in Thailand?

As you say, nothing that contradicts the wonderful Royal narrative. Currently it's not too healthy to be over critical of Prayut either. You can end up in the Mekong with your stomach full of concrete. And you're right. In Saudi it's worse - at least for the Saudis themselves. Look what happened to Khashoggi, and he was an internationally known public figure.

It's only when you leave the west that you realize quite how unique, precious, and fragile our freedoms are. And that's why it's dangerous to buy into the seductive notion that organized protest is an inconvenience that would be better stopped, or that there should be a hierarchy of worthiness when it comes to allowable protests. The right to protest visibly and inconveniently on any subject is essentially what differentiates western civilization from the tinpot autocracies of the world.

We should celebrate it.

Edited by Retsdon

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, oowee said:

A question from one of the protesters.

'How can we agree we have a climate emergency and at the same time expand airports?'

I have to say I agree with him. Not easy to see what the answer is.

We all agree ?

News to me !
If the emergency is so real , why dont the government, or indeed OURSELVES, park up our big engined 2-3 tonne 4x4 s and do something about it ? Oh wait ! :lol:

24 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

We all agree ?

News to me !
If the emergency is so real , why dont the government, or indeed OURSELVES, park up our big engined 2-3 tonne 4x4 s and do something about it ? Oh wait ! :lol:

Mine is Euro 6 compliant and a smaller engine than the last one, so I can drive about with a rather smug feeling. 🙂 

So what are you driving? lol 

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

As you say, nothing that contradicts the wonderful Royal narrative. Currently it's not too healthy to be over critical of Prayut either. You can end up in the Mekong with your stomach full of concrete. And you're right. In Saudi it's worse - at least for the Saudis themselves. Look what happened to Khashoggi, and he was an internationally known public figure.

It's only when you leave the west that you realize quite how unique, precious, and fragile our freedoms are. And that's why it's dangerous to buy into the seductive notion that organized protest is an inconvenience that would be better stopped, or that there should be a hierarchy of worthiness when it comes to allowable protests. The right to protest visibly and inconveniently on any subject is essentially what differentiates western civilization from the tinpot autocracies of the world.

We should celebrate it.

It also doesn't help in Thailand when the Police are corrupt!  Or alcoholic..... but that's another story!   I agree with you that the West has freedoms, ie, the right to protest, that many, many countries and their people envy and this right shouldn't be removed at any cost, BUT.....where do sensible people draw the line?  Is it ok to climb on a plane, disrupt peoples' lives and literally try to bring this country to a standstill?   

25 minutes ago, DoolinDalton said:

It also doesn't help in Thailand when the Police are corrupt!  Or alcoholic..... but that's another story!   I agree with you that the West has freedoms, ie, the right to protest, that many, many countries and their people envy and this right shouldn't be removed at any cost, BUT.....where do sensible people draw the line?  Is it ok to climb on a plane, disrupt peoples' lives and literally try to bring this country to a standstill?   

Exactly that is not peaceful protest. That is mass disruption or anarchy. These criminals should be facing very lengthy prison sentences. But they won't be!!!

2 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Exactly that is not peaceful protest. That is mass disruption or anarchy. These criminals should be facing very lengthy prison sentences. But they won't be!!!

extension rebellion muppets ,       we have limited police resources to tackle organised criminal gangs / every day crime , and yet the police are tied up dealing with these muppets  we are far too soft here    other countries would be cracking skulls / water cannons / army ,   may be peaceful now a few more weeks   some wrong uns  will kick off a riot       the costs to every day  lives and businesses , not to mention emergency services etc ,   they are loosing support from the public  by the minute  / what airport / train lines / buss station / car plant / power station / hgv transport companies suppling food / taxi company /house building contractors / waste incinerators /   to mention a few,      what  do we shut down to save the world in their eyes  (no answer) yet they ignore scientific evidence 

they are starting to sound like a cult  (brain washed )  common sense is no longer I am afraid  snowflakes rule we are doomed    

16 hours ago, oowee said:

Mine is Euro 6 compliant and a smaller engine than the last one, so I can drive about with a rather smug feeling. 🙂 

So what are you driving? lol 

Does that smug feeling give you 700 miles to a tank full ? Or nearly 70 mpg on the motorway ? £30 a year car tax ?

Renault Scenic 1.5 Dci .

16 hours ago, oowee said:

Mine is Euro 6 compliant

Euro compliance is (mainly) to do with emissions other than CO2 (nitrogen oxides, 'soot' particulates etc.).  These are of concern (apparently) because they are allegedly detrimental to lung/bronchial health (as are wood burners, bonfires etc.)

Global warming is more related to CO2 and other 'greenhouse' gasses (such as various organic gasses and vapours like methane, halogen/carbon compounds etc.)

My cars are all a bit thirsty (probable average about 35 m.p.g.) - so on the face of it not very friendly .......... but in fact they are all quite old (between 12 and 26 years old), so haven't been scrapped and recycled (which is heavy on carbon) and because I only do a low mileage (typically about 6 to 8000 miles a year in total), my actual CO2 emission (which is the global warming issue) is not all that high.  Overall - I think I'm pretty environmentally friendly.

Just now, Scully said:

I'm driving a 110 Defender but that's only because I haven't the money for another, but I'm working on it. 🙂

One of mine is a 90 Defender - 26 years old, but it only does a few miles a year.  Not passed 100,000 yet in 26 years.

On a different note - good to see that Greta Thunberg didn't get the Nobel peace prize she had been tipped for.  Mind you - I have never heard of the person who did win it.  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7562251/Greta-Thunberg-misses-Nobel-Peace-Prize-award-given-Ethiopias-prime-minister.html

2 hours ago, Scully said:

I'm driving a 110 Defender but that's only because I haven't the money for a second, but I'm working on it. 🙂

But how old is that 110 compared to. Modern cars that get swapped every three years to keep up with the fashion etc, your 110s footprint is probably better than some newer cars as it's lasted a hell of a lot longer 

3 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

But how old is that 110 compared to. Modern cars that get swapped every three years to keep up with the fashion etc, your 110s footprint is probably better than some newer cars as it's lasted a hell of a lot longer 

It’s only nine years old, but I do know what you mean. There are a lot of old ones out there. 
As an aside, the CA are claiming that most hunts have been left largely unmolested as the majority of sabs are in London doing a bit of sightseeing. 

Edited by Scully

10 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

On a different note - good to see that Greta Thunberg didn't get the Nobel peace prize she had been tipped for.  Mind you - I have never heard of the person who did win it.  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7562251/Greta-Thunberg-misses-Nobel-Peace-Prize-award-given-Ethiopias-prime-minister.html

Yes I gave a little cheer when I heard that on the radio.

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

I think Vlad pretty much nailed it , and just became a little more human in my eyes too 👍.

Actually, Putin usually talks a lot of sense. He also, unlike nearly all western politicians, makes a genuine attempt to answer questions put to him and takes the time to explain his reasoning. Of course, for many years he's been the subject of a coordinated campaign of vilification, and the main reason for that is that he has consistently refused to let 'economic freedom' be used as a Trojan horse for western corporations to loot Russian resources. And that's been badly resented in some quarters.

Is he a saint? Of course not. He's obviously a quite ruthless individual. But I think overall he's  primarily a Russian patriot and that's why he remains generally popular amongst ordinary Russians.

In any event, I've always found him worth listening to.

27 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Actually, Putin usually talks a lot of sense. He also, unlike nearly all western politicians, makes a genuine attempt to answer questions put to him and takes the time to explain his reasoning. Of course, for many years he's been the subject of a coordinated campaign of vilification, and the main reason for that is that he has consistently refused to let 'economic freedom' be used as a Trojan horse for western corporations to loot Russian resources. And that's been badly resented in some quarters.

Is he a saint? Of course not. He's obviously a quite ruthless individual. But I think overall he's  primarily a Russian patriot and that's why he remains generally popular amongst ordinary Russians.

In any event, I've always found him worth listening to.

:lol:...that's because he has been looting Russian resources himself for years, his alleged worth is £200 BILLION and nobody seems to know where it came from, put another way, the richest man in the world!:hmm:

On 10/10/2019 at 18:08, Retsdon said:

It's only when you leave the west that you realize quite how unique, precious, and fragile our freedoms are. 

We should celebrate it.

To old me, that's an interesting point of view. Maybe you mean officialdom in the West tolerates much more? Who decides at what point any protest affecting the lives of others is too much?

Without a written Constiution such as in America, (an interesting preamble there?) freedoms can be a bit elastic and withdrawn at will usually never to be granted again?

I was reminded yesterday that interestingly a few Brits were closely involved in that Bill but we don't have anything of a similar guarantee here?

Maybe desperately needed for a few years down the line?

Always more questions than answers?

As for Thunberg and our politicos past and present where has the common sense gone? ? ? ?

Edited by old man
Flaming Chromebook.