Back pain?

Retsdon

Anyone else get lower back pain? I've suffered from it intermittently since hurting my back in my late 20s. It's strange though in that it  nearly always seems to come out of nowhere. When you haven't got it you forget all about it and fondly imagine that it's never going to come back again.  And then suddenly it'll come back and  then you feel as if it's never going to end.

Right now it's back!

Pain down the leg into the foot ???  Then that is sciatica.  I have had that for about 8yrs now and had everything possible short of an operation where they say 50/50 you will be in a wheelchair.  Now just manage it best I can without pain killers.    I did find that accupuncture did relieve it for about four days then it crept back. It was the Chinese lady doctor who gave me the 50/50 advise.  Have a friend who suffers, caused by an accident and he was advised to walk as much as possible and I find that doing that does ease it considerably. Standing just a few minutes kills me.

Ive recently been given tramadol and valium due to the muscle spasms being the worst in years. Never ever took more than paracetamol before for it, never really needed too. Im dreading this winter, always seems to be worse in the cold. Got to keep moving, but lately 4 hours in bed and my backs screaming at me. 

Mine stems from being tall, and growing problems from childhood. 

Anyone else get backpain? Only a few hundreds of thousands.

Mine was triggered by a lifting accident while setting up a clay shoot. I put up with it for about four years as the doctor was useless only prescribing pain killers. I was directed to an osteopath and have never looked back. Apart from successfully treating the problem I was given a few exercises to do daily and apart from the occasional spasm I am pain free.I have a top-up treatment every three months.

Yes it costs money but so can being off work and then there's the side effects of the pain killers.

Vic.

Yes, lay of the drugs if you can.  I'm convinced that walking and exercise do help. If it is damage or a compressed joint as mine is, then apart from an op there is little else you can do.

Mine probably stems from humping 2 1/4 cwt(252 lbs)(115Kg)  railway sacks from the thrashing machine up eight steps to the granary in my teens.

Edited by Walker570

15 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

always seems to be worse in the cold.

That's normal I think. But not always.

I remember my father telling me a story once about when he was standing on the 1st tee waiting to tee off with his regular Thursday afternoon 4 ball. On our local course there was a public footpath that ran across the course in front of the 1st tee and it ran from the 'council' area into the heart of the local village, and golfers had to give way to anyone on it before teeing off. They were all doctors in this 4 ball, including the local GP. Anyway, one day they were waiting for this chap to make his way across in front of them when the GP said' See that chap there. His name's XXXX, and he suffers badly from lower back pain. But it's remarkable  how seasonal it is. The strange thing is that in the cold months it gets better and I never see him. But as soon they stop going over the sticks and the flat season starts, his back pain comes on in earnest and he's off sick as often as he's at work. And then, as soon as the jump season starts again, his back recovers. He's a medical wonder really...'

Amazing how that applies to so many queing frequently at our local post office:yes:

4 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

That's normal I think. But not always.

I remember my father telling me a story once about when he was standing on the 1st tee waiting to tee off with his regular Thursday afternoon 4 ball. On our local course there was a public footpath that ran across the course in front of the 1st tee and it ran from the 'council' area into the heart of the local village, and golfers had to give way to anyone on it before teeing off. They were all doctors in this 4 ball, including the local GP. Anyway, one day they were waiting for this chap to make his way across in front of them when the GP said' See that chap there. His name's XXXX, and he suffers badly from lower back pain. But it's remarkable  how seasonal it is. The strange thing is that in the cold months it gets better and I never see him. But as soon they stop going over the sticks and the flat season starts, his back pain comes on in earnest and he's off sick as often as he's at work. And then, as soon as the jump season starts again, his back recovers. He's a medical wonder really...'

Have had what I thought was sciatica due to a sporting accident when I was 21. Have had treatment on and off for it ever since, culminating in an MRI scan four or so years ago and was told I didn’t have sciatica. Cramp like pain in lower left back, occasional stabbing pain in top of left buttock which would take my breath away, aching left leg, which would sometimes be in my foot or my knee, which would keep me awake at night, slapping down of left foot when I walked. Even a GP told me I had sciatica. 
Self referred to physio about two years ago and he discovered ( after I almost jumped through the ceiling when he pressed on a part of my lower left back ) that I had a knotted muscle which had creased itself into a real knot probably as a result of a ‘ blunt trauma’, and when I thought back I remembered exactly when it happened. 
Anyhow, suffice to say it’s sorted now, after around 37 years, but better late than never eh! 🙂
Fill out a self referral and get it sorted. 

16 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yes, lay of the drugs if you can.  I'm convinced that walking and exercise do help. If it is damage or a compressed joint as mine is, then apart from an op there is little else you can do.

Mine probably stems from humping 2 1/4 cwt(252 lbs)(115Kg)  railway sacks from the thrashing machine up eight steps to the granary in my teens.

Definitely try to stay off the drugs. I only use them to get me upright and moving on the really bad days.

Exercise definitely helps once you can get going.

Mine came from picking up large boxes of rockets, placing them on a bench, preparing the 6 rockets and putting them in the launchers and repeating the process for several days when I was in my 20s.

MatraT155harrier.jpg

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

Mines from contorting myself into the martini glass shape you sit at when you're galloping race horses since I was 14, as well as hitting the floor at speed from a height - my avatar is one such occasion and that hurt! I got up and rode 2 more including a winner but an hour in the bath after and I was crippled for about a week. I also remember turning a somersault on a breaker I was teaching to jump and I'm pretty sure I fractured something in my back that day, I thought I'd killed the pony to be fair but he was a bad un and got up after 10 minutes just winded. I'm ok as long as I'm moving, but sitting for long periods ends up making me very achey and I cant have a lie in in bed, not that I ever get a chance anyway but 615 and I'm wide awake and have to get up and make a brew. 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Pain down the leg into the foot   Then that is sciatica.  I have had that for about 8yrs now and had everything possible short of an operation where they say 50/50 you will be in a wheelchair.  Now just manage it best I can without pain killers.    I did find that accupuncture did relieve it for about four days then it crept back. It was the Chinese lady doctor who gave me the 50/50 advise.  Have a friend who suffers, caused by an accident and he was advised to walk as much as possible and I find that doing that does ease it considerably. Standing just a few minutes kills me.

Mine is more or less the same , having done manual work all my life my doctor always put it down as wear and tear , had just about everything from the hospital including , two ten week course's of exercises , manipulation , tens machine , and being strapped to a bed and then being stretched , that wasn't a lot of good apart from me being two inches taller it didn't relieve the pain in my back :lol:.

I now find standing a night mare and on a shooting day if I have to stand for any length of time I take a fold up stool to sit on .

How do you get on when standing on your peg ?

Think most of us suffer, I had to get rid of a very nice gun due to back injury not getting better.

Standing or walking slow like when shopping with wife is pure torture. My back all the muscles down my back spasm and I can only bend at the waist. Not good but you do learn to live with it. I use a foam roller an awful.lot and trigger point balls to ease the muscles. 

Might try an inversion table.

Touchwood.... Haven't had a relapse in 4yrs but after a big work accident 6 years ago I had crippling back pain amongst many other issues. Docs told me to think myself lucky and I'd have to live with it then doled me out Naproxen and Tramadol like smarties. NHS physio was a waste if time, couldn't understand my desire to get back to work and refused me extra appointments so I found myself a good Chiropractor and Acupuncturist. Weekly hour long sessions for two months and I've never looked back, sure I've got other aches and pains but nothing holds you back like back pain

Had a bad back when I was younger,crushed a nerve and just suffered for years until my then teenage daughter jumped into my arms shouting catch me,we both fell to the floor  and a loud crunch came from my back and the pain went that I didn't even realise was that bad till it went.Am now very careful with my back.

Also had  a neck ache/head ache for years that was real bad some days,like plastering a ceiling looking up would be agony for days after,i had a bad reaction to anaesthetic and it took six hospital staff to hold me down,when I did come round the pain in my neck was way more than pain from the op,10 years later after many visits to the bone cruncher and pain,and a new osteopath who massaged my neck with her knuckels and pain went instantly......10 years.  

Got knocked off my Supermoto Cagiva and ended up in hospital a month later with septicaemia. Whilst in hospital, I got MRSA - it attacked my vertebrae. T11 (I think) in the Thorassic region disintegrated. Whilst it was crumbling, it put pressure on my spine and I couldn't walk. Aside from losing two inches in height, I was left with back pain and also pains in my ribs. They tell me these are pain pathways. It feels like someone is kicking me in the ribs on good days. On bad days they are still kicking, but I also have back pain. I have had cartons and cartons of Tramadol. After a few blue light trips back to the hospital, I never took another Tramadol and never will. 

I very rarely take any painkillers - I do not want to get on them again. If I take enough to remove all pain, I will have no kidneys, so I just get on with it. It would be nice to wake up one day, with no pain, but realistically it won't happen. 

You get used to pain.

Edited by Gordon R

39 minutes ago, figgy said:

Think most of us suffer, I had to get rid of a very nice gun due to back injury not getting better.

Standing or walking slow like when shopping with wife is pure torture. My back all the muscles down my back spasm and I can only bend at the waist. Not good but you do learn to live with it. I use a foam roller an awful.lot and trigger point balls to ease the muscles. 

Might try an inversion table.

The bed I was strapped to was like an ordinary single base with a split in the middle , I think I had three straps on my top half and three from the waste down , this was at a nice little relaxed hospital in town where your appointment was within ten minutes of the time you had to be there , I thought my luck was in when these young nurses with nigh on see through White coats on kept calling the other people in the waiting room names out , then I heard my name called out , when I looked round there a was this nurse who looked well past retirement age and moved about worse than I did , still we had a good ole laugh when she started to wind the wheel and as it didn't do any good I didn't have to go back for any more back stretching :lol:

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Mine is more or less the same , having done manual work all my life my doctor always put it down as wear and tear , had just about everything from the hospital including , two ten week course's of exercises , manipulation , tens machine , and being strapped to a bed and then being stretched , that wasn't a lot of good apart from me being two inches taller it didn't relieve the pain in my back .

I now find standing a night mare and on a shooting day if I have to stand for any length of time I take a fold up stool to sit on .

How do you get on when standing on your peg ?

Yep exactly the same and I have a three legged folding stool. Fortunately I have a well trained wife who loves the scene and carries the stool for me :yes::good:

Catton tomorrow and have to carry it myself.

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Standing or walking slow like when shopping with wife is pure torture. 

Feel for you:yes::whistling:

busted my back up when app 18  many years of pain  with traction and pain killers  then found a sports chiropractor who took a few months to sort out as spine as really badly out of shape   from the front s shaped off the pelvis to correct centre of gravity  from the side curvature over the pelvis too deeply into the stomach ,   now 30 yrs on have  had an average of two or three adjustments a year  without any adjustment for the last 9 years until this evening   find a good sports chiropractor  should help a lot  some will fix you in a few treatments  others will open your wallet twice a week for months  good and bad in all trades  if adjustments are carried out properly they are at least a two week interval to allow everything to settle down before the next treatment   this is from experience    if they tell you it will take 6 8 or 10  treatments or more before an improvement , will need to see you twice a week ,,,,,     before a physical  examination of your spine (an alarm bell) stand up and walk out , they are emptying  your wallet ,  all the best hope you get fixed soon

Edited by Saltings