Back pain?

Retsdon

Been through all of this, paid god only knows regarding physio, chryo acupuncture.  They all do something, sports physio and deep tissue working the best of that bunch. In the end I went for an epidural with root nerve block in my lower spine over at cheadle royal alex, what can I say. It worked for me, wouldn’t say 100%, because I have damaged facets, and herniated disc L1/S5 from wear and take, but a massive improvement, I’ve also notice I revoked quicker from the onset of muscle ache in the lower back, which in turn has allowed me to increase my exercise, which results in more mobility and better core strength etc.. it self perpetuates from there. Just needed the initial break through on the pain To get the ball rolling 

see a chyro no more than 4 times. After that you're paying their mortgage, Sport physio’s are far better as they deal with the muscle spasms that are causing the alignment issues in the first place. Not cracking and popping joints that simply return back after a few days etc

sports physio will give you some great stretches and exercises to do, to be fair, active lifestyle and press-ups every time the shirt is off your back eg in the morning when you wake and at night before bed. 

Edited by TK421

8 minutes ago, figgy said:

Tried a sports physio, went for nigh on 18 months. Then tried a Chiropractor both helped but couldn't cure the problem.  Just don't fancy surgery to correct the problem vertibrae 

I’ve lost count of how many consultants I’ve seen Over the years, they are all salesmen to a degree pedalling there wares. Back surgeons want to operate on your back, that how they get paid. I was offered an artificial disc replacement, which has now been halted in the UK at most if not all hospitals and for good reason. I was offered this by one of the countries top surgeons, Im glad I didn’t go for it. The epidural root block injection is the next best thing and if it works happy days. It worked for me

a lot of the issues suffered come from habit, posture, prolonged sitting, too soft bed and lack of mobility. Once you break the cycle things should get better. The injection helped to achieve this

Edited by TK421

Mine is through an accident, same bed and lifestyle. S1 is popped out 1/4" pressing in spinal nerve, muscles in my back lock up to protect the spine. Viscous circle trying to get the muscles to release when vertabrae is put back in. Spasm and movement cause it to pop out again. Think it's a staple they use to fix it in place, last resort I'm putting off.

19 minutes ago, martyn2233 said:

now used for a lot of ailments    without the side effects of synthetic drugs 👍    movement is key to injury  , staying mobile and flexible helps a lot  , sitting around destroys me 

Edited by Saltings

1 hour ago, figgy said:

I couldn't take and CBD derived products, get regular drugs and alcohol tested at work. Any positives like cannabis even medicinal.like this stuff is a no no. Not worth trying to get approval to use it.

been on all sorts of anti depressants  to help with pain after chemo   all caused other nastier problems   internally,  also  had morpheme and , fentanyl patches  80mgh  app 180mg a day a really nasty drug had to wean off as shaking like a junkie  may help others however I tried loads  from issues with passing out if any exertion     to heart and internal chest pain  mobility issues  am now better off managing pain with paracetamol during the day  and to relax  mussels a couple of beers before bed,   doctors will push / prescribe antidepressants in a heart beat addictive as hell but if you need to sleep , sleeping tablets are less  addictive and will not prescribe , I fear a bigger kickback on anti depressants ,    have found adapting  a rest pattern in daylight hours  helps  (if you are employed not good ) I have always been self employed     stay away form medication as long as you can  however if it works for you all good  my experience over the last 10 yrs not good

paracetamol through the day a beer or two early evening to  relax muscle pain (fibromyalgia ) to get three or four hours sleep / rest , sometimes up all night  get an hour or two before daybreak  am good to go 

if you can survive without medication  do so

I've found that mine starts to play up if stood for longer than normal, like when shooting a round of clays and having to wait at stands. Wearing a lower back support helps and some times a 400mg ibuprofen if it's aching before I set off. 

Don't like taking pills but sometimes needs must. 

I swear by Diclofenac really helps when my back goes (I got smashed about in the back of a Landrover on Exercise) - double dose at the start of it then take as per normal over the space of 2-3 days and it sorts it out. This is from somebody (being ex-forces) who hated to take tablets - saying I would get through it - tried all the pain killers on prescription etc...

The only trouble is it is now hard to get a doctor to write the script for these due to side effect issues over prolonged use (arthritis sufferers predominantly)

My other half is a chiropractor. 

Not all are the same, I suppose it's no different to any trade regardless of whether it's medical. 

I also know some see it as quackery but she did a 5 year masters and is a qualified doctor, knows her stuff. 

Chriro, physio, massage ect should all compliment each other. 

A good chiro shouldn't just keep taking money if treatments aren't working. 

It's a strange thing, but when other people are suffering more than you are it reduces your own misery. Reading some of the posts on here I see that in the general scheme of things I don't really have much of a problem. I can still go to work even if I have to hobble around and stand a bit crooked, and I know that if I avoid sitting down but rather either lie completely flat or better still push through and actively move, I can alleviate the worst of the symptoms. I've a lot of sympathy for some of the posters here...

6 hours ago, Muddy Funker said:

My other half is a chiropractor. 

Not all are the same, I suppose it's no different to any trade regardless of whether it's medical. 

I also know some see it as quackery but she did a 5 year masters and is a qualified doctor, knows her stuff. 

Chriro, physio, massage ect should all compliment each other. 

A good chiro shouldn't just keep taking money if treatments aren't working. 

without a good chiropractor I would be in a lot of trouble today  30 yrs ago a contractor I worked for was an animal, it took 4 of us to lift a 12" x 6" purlin wet sawmill timber into position to be taken into a traditional roof , he came along and pushed it out of the way in a temper tantrum I was underneath   (chiropractors are gifted people my opinion) a good one is a god send  

been to my old practice on Monday was told on the phone my old chiropractor Bob  had retired new guy before examination and without my notes said 5 /6 visits Mondays and Thursdays then re assess may need more treatments (went in to have my neck cracked) then found   out Bob did one day a week at his other practice  seen him Tuesday evening full examination  then works hips spine shoulders and neck,   you will be soar / stiff for a few days then you will be ok,  give everything a couple of weeks to settle down any problems come back  felt a lot better straight away  an hour later walk as much as you can exercise helps a lot after an adjustment     there are good and bad in all trades  agreed ,  don't let that put you off going to get help