Loss of ticket question

You cannot really lose your certificate.

Circumstances change It could be that you no longer have good reason to possess your firearms or it has either been taken from you by the police or it has expired. The reasons for police taking your authorisation away are many but unless a court has ordered the forfeiture of your guns, the police cannot dispose of them. Unless your guns have been seized then you will normally have time to sell them on. If the court orders their destruction or you sign them over to the police then they get destroyed.

1 hour ago, bobthedug said:

You cannot really lose your certificate.

Circumstances change It could be that you no longer have good reason to possess your firearms or it has either been taken from you by the police or it has expired. The reasons for police taking your authorisation away are many but unless a court has ordered the forfeiture of your guns, the police cannot dispose of them. Unless your guns have been seized then you will normally have time to sell them on. If the court orders their destruction or you sign them over to the police then they get destroyed.

Incorrect.

A certificate can be immediately revoked by the chief officer of police if he no longer considers you to be a suitable person to be entrusted with a firearm. If this happens, they would lawfully be seized.

^^^^^This

A guy got in touch with our club, his renewal was due and plod came round and asked the usual.....

Then asked when was the last time they were used.... now he could of lied but thought nothing of it, and said about 7 years ago.

Certificate not renewed on the grounds of not having a good reason to have one.

I didn’t think this was right so looked into it and it used to be for firearms that was the case, but it’s now the same for shotguns...

Firearms took his guns as his cert was on verge of expiring. They did return then with a 1 month temp certificate saying if he hadn’t got rid in that time, they would be taking them.

He gave them to our club and police were notified.

:shaun: 

9 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

^^^^^This

A guy got in touch with our club, his renewal was due and plod came round and asked the usual.....

Then asked when was the last time they were used.... now he could of lied but thought nothing of it, and said about 7 years ago.

Certificate not renewed on the grounds of not having a good reason to have one.

I didn’t think this was right so looked into it and it used to be for firearms that was the case, but it’s now the same for shotguns...

Firearms took his guns as his cert was on verge of expiring. They did return then with a 1 month temp certificate saying if he hadn’t got rid in that time, they would be taking them.

He gave them to our club and police were notified.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me!

9 hours ago, CharlieT said:

Incorrect.

A certificate can be immediately revoked by the chief officer of police if he no longer considers you to be a suitable person to be entrusted with a firearm. If this happens, they would lawfully be seized.

You are correct Charlie T. I should have made it clearer in my post. I was referring to the word "lose" that the op had used.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread, but i remembered it and decided to post this here.

I just got told this story in a phone call with a mate from norfolk.

We were catching up planning a trip up north next week, I asked him if his pal was going up with him he said OH NO!.

Is he busy i enquired. NO! havent you heard. ? heard what i says.

Seems this chap and his wife of 40 years decided to call it a day, Kids all grown up married kids of their own. found out that when he retired and was at home the wife started to feel fidgety wanted her independence back. Sold the house to their son and his wife split the money. he buys a nice little bungalow and starts getting his house in order, changes address. Knock at door FO stood there  check cabinet all fixed in properly OK!.

Casual coment from FO why the move , he says we decided to go our separate ways etc  . Fo goes away. All done. NO! about three days latter . 8 AM Fo back takes shotguns and certificate. no idea when or if he is getting it back. its been nearly a month now and he as heard nothing.

His ex is fine with him they meet have meals together visit kids on sundays see the grand kids just as if they were married, no other people involved at all.

Never any drunkenness trouble in anyway.

Is this what goes on these days and how long do they wait, licence has not been cancelled as such so supose they are investigating things.

surprised me he is a real nice bloke retired school teacher.

Ideas on a postcard.

He needs to get in touch with his shooting organisation. If everything is hunky dory then it would seem his licensing authority simply may have a policy of doing this as a matter of course, but he needs to get his FEO to put in writing why his tickets and guns have been taken. 

When my ex and I split i phoned my FEO to tell him I was leaving and what did he think I should do with my guns. He asked if my ex was kicking off or was likely to, to which I said no, and he said, in that case, inform licensing of change of address, install my guns in cabinets in new abode, and he would drop off new tickets when he came round to inspect my security. 

It would seem an over reaction if all is as you say. 

Well obviously there could be more i don’t know about or even could be other factors my mate is not aware of. but it surprised me just thinking with some forces kind of doing their own thing if this is typical these days.

Not sure if its norfolk or cambroidge police but i dont think  lincolnshire, and to be honest i have no idea where he just moved to, he is from Oxford originally as i remember it.  Makes you think though.

I met somebody who had lost his ticket when his ex partner (with diagnosed personality issues) made allegations against him. His kids supported him with relevant statements but to no avail. Been a number of years and he still can’t get his license back. 

somebody else - from the horses mouth - said he put something on his renewal to effect of see previous application. They didn’t issue him a ticket for a year and he had to store his guns with an RFD

Edited by discobob

I have experience of this, I was accused of some nasty things by some nasty police officers in Gwent, My force turned up one evening told my they were not revoking my tickets but suspending them, they then took all my weapons and left, it took many hours of interviews with my firearms dept for them to be satisfied, even though i recorded my whole 3 hours with the nasty officers showing them being the ones in the wrong.

Just over 4 months the police held my weapons, the firearms dept even let me go into the police station to clean them,i was quite surprised they were not secured in an armoury, but in an interview room stacked round the wall and in a normal office cabinet along with other peoples weapons.
I could have had them moved to my local gun shop, but then i would have had to pay, and i begrudged that seeing as i had done no wrong.

After 4 months, and strangely enough one week after the two nasty police officers were found to have done wrong on 3 out of 4 complaints i made to the PCC, unfortunately the 4th of malicious communication was not upheld because they had lied on a secure police system by sending emails, and the PCC said this was ok.

No one from my police force or gwent police have ever told me the content of the email sent to my firearms dept, but it was strongly hinted that i was aggressive violent and out of control, luckily for me 3 hours of headcam footage in glorious HD with sound doesn't lie, unlike the officers from gwent police.

My firearms manager brought my weapons back ,handed me a letter stating that dyfed powys police firearms believed i had acted in a calm and professional manner in my interactions with the officers from gwent police and there was no action to be taken against me.

It was an incredibly stressful time.

Well it would seem its not that unique, and by the sounds of it he could have a long old wait on his hands. people really are in the lap of the gods re this licensing stuff these days. I guess we can expect more of the same in these times we live in.

Other countries must look at us here with dismay and if anything its steadily getting worse.

I always had my doubts my lads would keep shooting until they finally passed away , but now i can see perfectly normal chaps getting into complications right now never mind in 40 years or so. I think we are seeing changes right now.

I