Blocked sewer

Mighty Ruler

What you could do is wait till it blocks again then call your utility company as it’s a shared drain they will then put a camera down the line to see the problem. We had a similar problem  & turned out next door were flushing wet wipes down the toilet.

Edited by blackbird

From the point that the drains from the two properties combine it is not your problem as the law places the responsibility on the drainage company United Utilities or whoever is the drainage company in your area. Next time it blocks call the drainage authority and they will sort it free of charge.

Edited by Fisheruk

9 hours ago, vampire said:

Read the new regs on septic tanks,you have more bad news to come.

Oh I know! Mrs BTJ was in meltdown before we moved because our friend who's a drainage engineer, told her about the new regs. Fortunately what she was worrying about wasn't an issue in the end. But our tank at the new house will need changing in the future and that will be a world of fun!

10 hours ago, vampire said:

Read the new regs on septic tanks,you have more bad news to come.

My mate has just fallen foul of this

shared tank on his new house

vendor wasn't interested as he had already dropped price....prior to knowing about the 2020 changes

neighbour is paying half. Vendor has reluctantly agreed to paying half of the remainder

2 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

From the point that the drains from the two properties combine it is not your problem as the law places the responsibility on the drainage company United Utilities or whoever is the drainage company in your area. Next time it blocks call the drainage authority and they will sort it free of charge.

Mighty Ruler

I would agree with Fisheruk, call the utilities out, especially from a heath and safety side, you have all sorts of risks that you need to cater and consider for before you carry out any work on sewers ie, falling down the manhole, someone else falling down an unguarded manhole, methane and all sorts of gases and diseases.

call them out, could be cheaper in the long run.

58 minutes ago, dodgy dave said:

whats going to change then 

It's all to do with the m³ of water discharged per house hold from the septic tank and existing tanks requiring permits from the EA depending on volume of discharge and if its into a watercourse, treatment Reed bed or soak away. Some tanks are exempt but I fully expect that wont be the case because as the old phrase goes where theres muck theres money. I'm not hugely au fait with it all but I think that's essentially the crux of it.

17 hours ago, blackbird said:

What you could do is wait till it blocks again then call your utility company as it’s a shared drain they will then put a camera down the line to see the problem. We had a similar problem  & turned out next door were flushing wet wipes down the toilet.

Yeah, that sounds like the best bet. Thanks to everyone who replied.