Hand Warmers,

redial

Another vote for the Zippo type I bought two on the Amazon black Friday deal a couple of years ago. I have lost the little filler bottles that gauge how much fuel you want to put in, whether you want them to last for 6 or 12 hours and as a result I often over fill them making them hard to light. but once going they are great, they last all day, very rarely go out and produce good constant heat, if you don't smother them by fiddling to much. the wicks on mine lasted the first season out and I found cheap copy replacements on the bay that were still going at the end of last season.

Gen      

Petrol type are excellent, charcoal generally poor but what about chemical type disposable. I use Hot Hands bought in bulk and they last all day. They are small and comfortable to wear in gloves, just slip them in the back. They have my vote having used all types of hand warmers and reasonably economical.

The S Boston hand warmers are the best I've used, bought it for my wife. It has a battery in so you push a button to light it. You can pull the too of and rotate refit to make it go out and then when ready swap back and push the button again. Hotter than any of the others I have tried. I have a mini Kawasaki aluminium handwarmer that if put in shirt chest pocket keeps me toasty warm if stood or sitting.

5 hours ago, figgy said:

The S Boston hand warmers are the best I've used, bought it for my wife. It has a battery in so you push a button to light it. You can pull the too of and rotate refit to make it go out and then when ready swap back and push the button again. Hotter than any of the others I have tried. I have a mini Kawasaki aluminium handwarmer that if put in shirt chest pocket keeps me toasty warm if stood or sitting.

Same here for the S-Boston 

The petrol ones have to be treated with care. Over fill and you can damage the platinum catalyst. Touch the catalyst with a flame and it will also start to break down. 

The 5200mah electric ones work well as do the 'Little Toasties' which are very warm and will last 10 to 12 hours. Down side with the disposables is the waste. 

I have been following this with interest as I am looking to get a couple.

now for a really stupid question .......( as they cannot be switched off and have to be allowed to 'burn out'. ) with the fuel filled Zippo can you, say, 1/4 fill it so you only get 3 hours run time?

i am thinking for the times I am Clay shooting where running it for 6 hours would be a waste 

But for the times I am working outside I was thinking 2, 1 in each pocket and half filled for a 6 hour runtime

18 hours ago, Diver One said:

I have been following this with interest as I am looking to get a couple.

now for a really stupid question .......( as they cannot be switched off and have to be allowed to 'burn out'. ) with the fuel filled Zippo can you, say, 1/4 fill it so you only get 3 hours run time?

i am thinking for the times I am Clay shooting where running it for 6 hours would be a waste 

But for the times I am working outside I was thinking 2, 1 in each pocket and half filled for a 6 hour runtime

Short answer, yes. Had all sorts, found Peacock to be by far the best. The electric ones are very good for instant heat.

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Short answer, yes. Had all sorts, found Peacock to be by far the best. The electric ones are very good for instant heat.

+1 for the Peacock type, I have2 giant ones, I've had them too hot to touch for over 12 hrs.

The gel pick must have improved allot since the last ones I bought, you were lucky to get 3 hours of mild warmth. But I will definitely stick with the Peacock type. 

My wife’s small Peacock will run for over 12 hours, my standard mid-sized Peacock will, for some unknown reason, run for very much longer than that. On a maximum recommended fill I have known it keep hot for up to 23 hours. I usually fill it between one quarter and half full for a day’s shooting. This to leave home at perhaps 7.30am and it will run until 8-10pm.

1 hour ago, Westley said:

Which Country are you guy's shooting in  ?  I was in shirt sleeves or at the most a sweater and tweed gilet for all but 1 day last season. I even considered not shooting this season but demonstrating against 'climate change' instead  !     😎

Me?

lancs........the REAL Gods Country😂

I wear shorts for work all year round.....whether out on a building site or in a multinational companies HQ. However, on the very rare occasion my hands do get cold shooting. Admittedly not often....I just thought a couple would be handy ( also on the odd occasion for outside work)

i shall google Peacocks 👍