3.5" Cheddite load recipe

guy baxendale

ched  case 3 1/2 inch

cx2000

A steel 32 grain

B&P 44 5mm felt 20ga (or  if no felt could try cork undershot )

620 grains (40gram)  of USA BB steel about 100 pellets

compress on shot 80lbs(MEC)

pressure 12810 PSI velocity ( claimed) 13600FPS

Off a guide in Manitoba. used it last two seasons i like it.  

My revised load after loading some too hot with more powder 

Cheddite 31/2" case

CX2000 primer

B&P wad

36grains A Steel

42g BBB steel shot 

6 star crimp and spun on drill.

The same powder weight 36 grains and 3" case and wad with 36g of steel shot is fantastic 3" load too, well worth a try.

On 10/10/2019 at 12:47, figgy said:

My revised load after loading some too hot with more powder 

Cheddite 31/2" case

CX2000 primer

B&P wad

36grains A Steel

42g BBB steel shot 

6 star crimp and spun on drill.

The same powder weight 36 grains and 3" case and wad with 36g of steel shot is fantastic 3" load too, well worth a try.

Thanks - I loaded some up with 39 grain and fired 7 last Friday with not signs they were too hot.

I didn't get any signs of over pressure, but that don't mean they not over the cip or saami limits.

Have you chronograph any of your loads ? 

How'd you find they shoot?  I loaded 25 have shot half a dozen and will use the rest up. I will drop the powder charge at least a couple of grains.

1 hour ago, figgy said:

I didn't get any signs of over pressure, but that don't mean they not over the cip or saami limits.

Have you chronograph any of your loads ? 

How'd you find they shoot?  I loaded 25 have shot half a dozen and will use the rest up. I will drop the powder charge at least a couple of grains.

This load was given to me by a member on here. I looked at the loads i have in the cheddite manual and 39 grain didnt seem unreasonable so i loaded some up.

I fired 7 shots for 5 Canada's - all stone dead. Not exactly conclusive as they were mostly fairly short range shots.

I dont own a Chrono.

I also got the load off a kind member and he used it for years with a roll turn over.

I know the guns can take a bit over without problems. Takes quite a lot to damage a 31/2" gun and youd struggle to load much more powder in with 42g of shot.

I'll try a few with less powder and chrono, so long as I get 1400-1450fps I'm happy, the shot will do its job.

Would you pm me the cheddite load data you have from the manual?

8 hours ago, guy baxendale said:

This load was given to me by a member on here. I looked at the loads i have in the cheddite manual and 39 grain didnt seem unreasonable so i loaded some up.

I fired 7 shots for 5 Canada's - all stone dead. Not exactly conclusive as they were mostly fairly short range shots.

I dont own a 

My go to load  I love it glad it's bagged u a few

19 hours ago, figgy said:

I also got the load off a kind member and he used it for years with a roll turn over.

I know the guns can take a bit over without problems. Takes quite a lot to damage a 31/2" gun and youd struggle to load much more powder in with 42g of shot.

I'll try a few with less powder and chrono, so long as I get 1400-1450fps I'm happy, the shot will do its job.

Would you pm me the cheddite load data you have from the manual?

I am more than happy with BBs flying at 1250 fps. I have killed some stonking high geese with those kind of loads.

With steel powder these days i stick very close to what the Aliant powder guide says, A steel is not the powder it used to be and some old data loadings once safe may be making more presure than with older lots of powder. If you look at data from the early 2000s and todays data from tests reducing powder charges seems sensible. Look on shotgun world and duck hunting chat. Derby acres bob  10ga nut goose pit and others post many times on the differences in todays A steel . check it out.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=458702

https://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=891441

Edited by lancer425

35 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

With steel powder these days i stick very close to what the Aliant powder guide says, A steel is not the powder it used to be and some old data loadings once safe may be making more presure than with older lots of powder. If you look at data from the early 2000s and todays data from tests reducing powder charges seems sensible. Look on shotgun world and duck hunting chat. Derby acres bob  10ga nut goose pit and others post many times on the differences in todays A steel . check it out.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=458702

https://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=891441

That may well be true, but I don't see how the different batches can vary that much. If they did, then surely fresh data would be required for each new lot.

I read the links and have read lots more on this, alliant have said there isn't a big difference or they wouldn't be allowed to sell the powder. They have tolerances to stay in.

Using old data is where the problem is, the components change over the years. Trouble with UK is lots of the data uses components we can't get.

Edited by figgy

Many of the chaps in those and other links on this subject are no beginners,  Derby acres Bob Dave in AZ 10ga nut  10ga nut has a book out on ten bores with lots of info in it and these people if you look and do your research are not happy with the newer lots of A steel.  And i read somewhere alliant give the stock nothing is wrong answer .

yet clarly things are not the same, i do agree with the quotes on the older lotsfrom the early 2000s and the 37s of today its a wilder powder than it was 18 years ago. Add to this figgy is right on components couple this with the noted powder variations and i do not think it would be to hard to see presures which fail testing if loading up to older data.

We have one saving grace over here the chedite cases which availability and popularity in use here are a relatively lower presure creating case and those loading to the older data books out there might be spared some issues due to the chedite cases nature.

Just stay safe bear in mind the coments in those or other such  links, and at least start somewhere below when on older data.