Unexpected day!

Wilts#Dave

What started off as a very poor year has turned around somewhat into some good sport over the last couple of months. Peas giving us all the best shooting strangely with the stubbles drawing good numbers for several weeks until they were cultivated,  with four outings averaging over 100 and several more around the 50 mark.

Wheat and barley stubbles haven’t seemed to pull big numbers with the few outings only producing very average bags. 

On the way to a job on Monday I spotted a lot of pigeons on an old spring barley stubble that we haven’t got easy access to, but further on I checked some ground we do shoot as Dad had seen some flighting the week before. Nothing of note where he’d looked and only by chance when I was on the way back from the job that I spotted a line going over the road I was driving......had to see if it was going anywhere in particular and eventually found it going to another huge old barley stubble not far from where I’d already looked! Not seen numbers like it all summer really, massive number of birds down and flighting constantly from several lines. Had to move some work around to get there the following day but had to be done and got to the field and set up by 1 o clock. Still big numbers and after a quick setup Dad drove round to put them all up which started the action. Shot the first 10 really quickly but heavy rain for the next hour slowed things up somewhat. 

The rain finally cleared and the pigeons came back, flighting much better than I thought and between 2 and 4.30 a constant flow of mainly flighting shots in the strong wind saw a pick up of 115. Would have easily been 150 minus the rain but a cracking afternoon, and very unexpected! 

Can’t seem to upload photos for some reason? 

That was well worth moving your work load about and an excellent days sport for you and your dad , just goes to show they are about , the hardest part is finding them on the land you can shoot over .

Ours pigeon shooting have more or less came to a standstill, our next Partridge shoot is this coming Saturday, and after all the heavy rain we had last Sunday we now have plenty of water on the marshes for a bit of duck shooting , so one door closes and another one is opened . 

On 09/10/2019 at 09:42, marsh man said:

That was well worth moving your work load about and an excellent days sport for you and your dad , just goes to show they are about , the hardest part is finding them on the land you can shoot over .

Ours pigeon shooting have more or less came to a standstill, our next Partridge shoot is this coming Saturday, and after all the heavy rain we had last Sunday we now have plenty of water on the marshes for a bit of duck shooting , so one door closes and another one is opened . 

The most frustrating part of pigeon shooting for us, finding great opportunities you can’t capitalise on. Over the years we’ve missed out on some of the best shooting through it being on land we can’t gain access to! 

Having game/duck shooting to swap over to is very handy.