Proof Marks - Where?

wymberley

My nephew has just been left some guns by his friend. As yet, I know not what the others might be. However, he's sent a photo of this Belgian made 410. Other than "Belgium" he has yet to find any other marks. He's up country so I can't help. Does anyone happen to know where they could be stamped?

image.jpeg

Normally inside the barrel seating in the case of the action and on the underside of the barrel at the breech end. You are normally  looking for a Belgium proof mark on these folding shotguns. Google Belgium proof marks & you will get plenty of illustrations of what to look for.

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

My nephew has just been left some guns by his friend. As yet, I know not what the others might be. However, he's sent a photo of this Belgian made 410. Other than "Belgium" he has yet to find any other marks. He's up country so I can't help. Does anyone happen to know where they could be stamped?

It's a lovely little gun and in good condition too, I bought a similar one for my son but it was not black, this is the first black one I have seen.

The markings on "ours" are mostly under the barrels - see the arrow. There were a lot of markings, I was able to deduce that it was made in the 50's in Liege, has 65mm chambers, is nitro proofed and lot's more fascinating detail. There was a number 11 stamped in a couple of places and we took this to be the serial number in the absence of anything more convincing.

dddd.JPG.97db82282139b0979a5f5b76c0b92a21.JPG

1 hour ago, Scully said:

If it’s of a certain age, or dependant on its route to this country, it’s quite possible it hasn’t been proofed. 
I owned an unproved Model 12 for a number of years; it’s not a rare occurrence even nowadays, surprisingly. 

Model 12? does that mean that the 11 stamped on mine makes it a model 11?