Barclays at Post Office

matone

So Barclays bank have announced that they are stopping the withdrawal of cash at the Post Office! This after they have closed many local branches ,telling us not to worry ,`you can access your service at the P.O.

This will affect many people across the country especially elderly and less able.Where are the watchdogs??????

That is ridiculous. They have closed the branch at Atherstone and now they intend withdrawing the service at my local post office.  This is obviously a ruse to prevent the use of cash and transfer everything to plastic.  I will now be forced to make a 14 mile return journey to get some cash or deposit any cheques I receive instead of 4 miles.  We have no bus service here either and to park in Tamworth I have to pay for parking. In Atherstone that was free.  It is obvious these bank oficials don't live in the same world as the rest of us.

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

That is ridiculous. They have closed the branch at Atherstone and now they intend withdrawing the service at my local post office.  This is obviously a ruse to prevent the use of cash and transfer everything to plastic.  I will now be forced to make a 14 mile return journey to get some cash or deposit any cheques I receive instead of 4 miles.  We have no bus service here either and to park in Tamworth I have to pay for parking. In Atherstone that was free.  It is obvious these bank oficials don't live in the same world as the rest of us.

Many people will be put into similar circumstances by Barclay`s cruel action.They need to rethink their social responsibilities I think...

This is why when you go to Central Europe a lot of the people there withdraw wages once a month and keep all the cash at home and spend like that. 

Just a joke you can’t remove from a PO. Like someone above said it’s a way to make no one touch cash anymore.  Even my local Chinese takeaway has had to get a card machine now!

I had a Barclays App on my phone and ipad

take a pic of a cheque and it goes straight into your account. No faffing about going to the Bank in town

brilliant, loved it, fantastic

in July /August they sent an email saying their App would no longer work on older iPhones and iPads running IOS10 as from September 

so now I cannot use it!!

i am less than impressed

You can still pay in at the post office but not draw cash out (the post office charge Barclays for cash out ) and you can still use any ATM.

This is because the post office is bringing in a new agreement,  The new agreement involves almost every UK bank and includes an “improved fee structure” under which postmasters will receive about three times more remuneration for providing these services than under the previous deal.

Edited by daveboy

Much the same here - Nearest PO is a two mile drive, Barclays now closed in the local town (5 mile drive) Nearest branch now a 10 mile drive! 

Barclays closed the local branch with the usual trite excuse that it was under used. Strange when on busy days you had to stand outside! When you drive 10 miles to the nearest bank the queue winds around the bank with usually no more than two tills open. It's all a ruse for us to "go plastic" but Barclays has said that they will encourage shops to have the availability of "cash back" but that means you have to spend first!

Cash is just about finished, all that is needed is the last remaining few rural shopkeepers to accept card and that will be the end I'm afraid. . . . As a cashking all my life it's upsetting and really annoying but nothing we can do as the banks are doing their part as they can't be seen to be fuelling crime which is what cash does. . . . .We better start bartering again

The banks don't give a dam about what you spend your cash on or how you use it but what they do want is for us all to use plastic or online transactions. Because every transaction incurs a small charge and all these charges add up. That's why they want to do away with cash.

Sometime last year a TV program titled something like "billion pound deals" was shown. It scared the **** out of me. It basically said in 10 years if we allow it 5 to 8 companies could be handling 90% of the worlds transactions. What happens when 8 becomes 7 then 7 become 6 and so on. if you can find it, it is well worth a watch.

• 4 weeks later...

Well,amazingly ,I received an email from Barclays today stating that they have reversed their decision and shall contiunue to allow us to withdraw cash at Post Offices!!!

Didn`t think they would listen to anyone but something has changed their minds .Perhaps social media has been a part of it !

1 hour ago, matone said:

Well,amazingly ,I received an email from Barclays today stating that they have reversed their decision and shall contiunue to allow us to withdraw cash at Post Offices!!!

Didn`t think they would listen to anyone but something has changed their minds .Perhaps social media has been a part of it !

Well done!:good:

2 hours ago, matone said:

Think not was on our local news last week. After receiving many complaints Barclays have had a change of heart. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Think not was on our local news last week. After receiving many complaints Barclays have had a change of heart. 

The one I read said it was because Barclays wanted to support local Post Offices in an effort to keep them open.

Lies, it was because their own customers said they would leave is closer to the truth.

25 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

The one I read said it was because Barclays wanted to support local Post Offices in an effort to keep them open.

Lies, it was because their own customers said they would leave is closer to the truth.

I’m not sure how much pressure your second paragraph would have on Barclays, it certainly didn’t work in my home town. HSBC lost a lot of customers when they closed, with many customers swapping to Barclays as a result, then Barclays closed also within two years. Town has only a PO and a building society now. 
I recall hearing on Look North just recently, however, that Barclays would not be stopping their services through PO’s due to the volume of complaints received. They may be lying, I wouldn’t know.