Where to rebarrel a rifle recommendations

utectok

HI All 

I recently got my FAC and purchased what I thought was a good rifle but it turns out it needs a new barrel... groan. It is a tikka m65 in .308. I'm an in SW Scotland but I'm assuming I can mail the gun to a rebarreling company. It's a nice gun and it seems a shame to bin it.. Please can anyone help with suggested good companies to do this work?? 

Many thanks Will

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, ditchman said:

how many rounds does it take to shoot out a 308 barrell ?

I suppose it depends on how hot(speed)  the loads are, and how hot the barrel gets and continuing to shoot, quality of the steel...run in properly ?

Proper use with lower speed loads, 10,000 rounds ?
Heavy (hot ) use 5,000 rounds ?

All much of a muchness really, 

Just now, ditchman said:

who is in his right mind is going to fire 5000 hot rounds...what is the need to do this ?......all very strange really

Ive seen plenty of people on a range stick 50 rounds of .223 down range in 10 minutes, heat shimmer off barrel and allsorts !

A few years of that and youve easily got your 5,000 rounds.
Pest control only and it would take some doing.

16 minutes ago, London Best said:

Been using my .308 since 1989, 30 years, still cloverleafs at 100 yds. No range use, just stalking/zeroing. Very lightweight barrel, can’t hardly touch it after 5 rapid shots.......so. I don’t do it. Round count now maybe 2000.

And plenty more use in it Im sure. :good:

The M65s are a decent action but its negative points are it's magazine, single stack and you won't get a replacement if it's ever lost. Another for me would be not able to load rounds in the action. 2nd hand are about 350, a re-barrel would be 750+. 

I would look at either new or a different action that i could get replacement parts for ie a magazine for sure. 

22 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

How much did you pay for the rifle?

and are you sure it even needs a new barrel?

I’ll take it to a friends later on in the month an let him have a look. Tbh I’m not sure it needs a new barrel my buddy said it would as it’s 30 yrs old. It’s hard for me to judge as I’m new to centerfire however with home loads and careful shooting I’m at around 1” at 100m but not very consistent however that could be me! My other friend said he’ll give it a look hopefully it’s me! 

40 minutes ago, utectok said:

I’ll take it to a friends later on in the month an let him have a look. Tbh I’m not sure it needs a new barrel my buddy said it would as it’s 30 yrs old. It’s hard for me to judge as I’m new to centerfire however with home loads and careful shooting I’m at around 1” at 100m but not very consistent however that could be me! My other friend said he’ll give it a look hopefully it’s me! 

Is that off a bipod or bean bag? Car bonnet or bench rest? 

Those are good groups and I am assuming you haven’t yet tried a variety of different ammo? Or home load?

How much was it? If it looks good I’ll have it I have a slot for a 308 and 1” is more than accurate for a hunting rifle!!!

54 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Is that off a bipod or bean bag? Car bonnet or bench rest? 

Those are good groups and I am assuming you haven’t yet tried a variety of different ammo? Or home load?

How much was it? If it looks good I’ll have it I have a slot for a 308 and 1” is more than accurate for a hunting rifle!!!

That was off a bipod with a cushion under the butt with home loaded Hornsby sst bullets but I managed almost as good with federal shop ammo. Not very realistic for stalking when your panicking of sticks or something but I’m keeping under 200m for everything so keep it simple. Consistency is my problem but it’s probably me or to much looking at the internet which seems to have sub Moa shooters on every page 😳