Where to rebarrel a rifle recommendations

utectok

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As @Lloyd90 says I'd trawl around or put out a request for loads for the powder and heads you're using.

I'm in a similar position but have a buddy gave me his recipe that works well in mime. Just got to refine the depth/jump. I could experiment with loads but I'm happy with the results so far. Happy shooting. 

9 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Is that just one load / recipe? 

You need to try different powder loads and seating depths...

Ok I’ll do that thanks 

2 hours ago, Mr.C said:

As @Lloyd90 says I'd trawl around or put out a request for loads for the powder and heads you're using.

I'm in a similar position but have a buddy gave me his recipe that works well in mime. Just got to refine the depth/jump. I could experiment with loads but I'm happy with the results so far. Happy shooting. 

Thanks that’s very helpful 

Mates of mine have took years of playing with bullets and powders working up loads for their rifles. It's part of the hobby for them. Another mate got as many different factory loads he could and tried them, found the most accurate that was as far as he went.

When I first (recently) started reloading my .223 , the first thing I did was google the best load for my barrel.
Theres a wealth of info out there, with particular detail on some of the American sites, they are absolutely anal about reloading !

Use their time spent, and wealth of knowledge, combine that with the powder and bullet manufacturers recommendations and start off like I did , on the lowest recommended loads.

I was very lucky in that my chosen starting loads of Hornady 53gn bullets and CFE .223 produced tight cloverleaf groups at 100 yds.
The home loads out performed ANY factory cartridge I bought, including Hornadys own !

All this out of a cheap second hand gun , with a £120 scope on board.

Read up, pick a start point and have a play, its very satisfying when it all comes together.

• 2 months later...

Well in case anyone is interested after two scopes two sets of scope mounts any number of fiddling with home loads  and a few hundred rounds I never did consistently tame my old tikka occasionally it would produce a couple of decent 1.5" groups then it would be over 3". I finally chopped it in for a new rifle and to my delight it wasn't my rubbish shooting that produced the garbage groups. New rifle shoot 3/4" groups if I try and never worse than 1.5" even if I'm being lazy. I guess 30 years of hard labour can shoot out a .308..... Having said that I never missed a Deer this season with the old tikka but play safe and its a big target and never more than 200m...... Confidence is important though and Im much happier with the new rifle.

Lot of things could be happening with home loads have you got right amount of powder. is head set in at right length for gun there are all sorts that could be wrong with your loads don’t just blame the barrel.

I don’t stalk but a one inch group at hundred yards is a kill witch ever way you look at it.

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Did you read the thread?

Err I think so lots of helpful tips. I worked hard at the loads COAL various lengths ect tried shop ammo different powders charge weights and bullets ect ect. And yes 3" groups are fine for normal hunting and as stated I never missed a deer with the rifle up to 200m no problem. But confidence is important and the rifle was inconsistent sometimes sub moa and sometimes 4" groups. I had it checked by a rifle smith new scope and mounts and so on. So for whatever reason it never shot that well fine for hunting I agree up to about 200m. However my new rifle shoots 1" to 1.5" unerringly  and it does give you confidence to shoot live game with up to about 250m (thats about the farthest I shoot). I haven't really played with the home loads and my new rifle just set the OAL just off the lands but I will need to play around a bit to tighten the groups I think.  Thank you everyone for your help I am grateful and learnt alot  

It is possible I suppose some more skilled shooters and reloader will be able to get the old tikka to shoot better? Anyway it was to heavy with bipod and Mod to use for me... I have a lighter setup now, lighter rifle with hunting not varmint barrel, carbon fibre bipod.... titanium mod  (all secondhand but quite alot less savings in the bank!).........