Screw cutting

CZ550Kevlar

18 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Not in your area but have just been quoted over £200 to do just that.  The work will require re proofing. 

Technically, the rifle only requires re-proofing when you sell it - the gun is no longer in proof, and thus if you sold it there could be some potential liability.

In practice, I've never known anyone ask to see 'proof' of re-proofing on a gun once it's been screw cut

You got quoted the same as me, even after back and forth about the said law regarding selling. I said i have no intention of selling and dont need it re proofing, as ive had it 15years already. Its a brno mod2, im not spending £200 on a rifle that cost £100. He stated thats its law, i said its not and left him to it. 

There's a engineering workshop not far away, need to pop in and have a chat see if they can do it cheaper

I think the law on reproofing say if the barrel has been substantially weakened or words to that effect. I would say cutting a thread on it the same as thousands of others and the same as the manufacturers isn't substantially weakening it but I can see way a gun smith would have it reproofed 

It’s incredible that people are still ignorant of this fact: Chopping and recrowning of a barrel does not BY LAW require re proofing; you cannot proof something which is no longer there! 
Also, screw cutting a barrel does not BY LAW require re proof. It is not illegal to own or use an unproved gun nor one which is out of proof, it is only an offence to sell either. If you don’t want to go to the expense of any unnecessary reproof when you want to move on the rifle, shotgun whatever, then you simply ‘gift’ or ‘give’ it away. 

Edited by Scully
spelling.

The Law is not totally clear but the legal opinion the Jackson Rifles have and the proof house declined challenge probably due to the fact that any engineer know thread the low pressure end of a barrel doesn’t ‘materially weaken’ the barrel.  

However here comes the crunch for some RFDs their insurance company insists that any barrel work is reproofed before returning it to any customer (trade or private) this doesn’t make it illegal just a corporate risk they won’t take.  

Screw cut a barrel and under the letter of the Proof Act you have rendered the gun out of proof . Please note , I said under the letter of the Act . That which would be  defined by the Proof Authorities .

But !!! Cut the threaded part of the barrel off and hey presto the gun is once again in proof . 

It is only when a prosecution is brought by the Proof authorities [or some ****** who has bought a gun he dont like and wants to get his money back and needs a reason ] and the subsequent court ruling will there ever be an end to this issue  .

Any one who is willing to finance the barristers for a test case , please leave your name and contact details .

Edited by Gunman

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

Screw cut a barrel and under the letter of the Proof Act you have rendered the gun out of proof . Please note , I said under the letter of the Act . That which would be  defined by the Proof Authorities .

But !!! Cut the threaded part of the barrel off and hey presto the gun is once again in proof . 

It is only when a prosecution is brought by the Proof authorities [or some ****** who has bought a gun he dont like and wants to get his money back and needs a reason ] and the subsequent court ruling will there ever be an end to this issue  .

Any one who is willing to finance the barristers for a test case , please leave your name and contact details .

Quite, none of which means it is required by law to be reproofed, nor does it make it illegal to own or use, nor even pass on to another. 

Didn't Jacksons Rifles ( Border Barrels ? ) take this to court some years ago? 

Edited by Scully

45 minutes ago, Gunman said:

There you go....have it screw cut, don’t bother getting it reproved, use it, then later when/if you want to sell the gun, cut the screw cut off.....bingo it’s legally “in proof” again! Jobs a goodun!.....

Please take note that if taking the gun or indeed just the barrel and action to a non licenced person for screw cutting ,that unless you are in attendence at all time the "gun" is there you are commiting an offence under the Firearms Act of giving a firearm to an unlicenced person . He in turn is unlawfuly in posecion of a firearm .

Again this is the letter of the law ,but get some stroppy little copper out to make a name or some anti gun senior command and you could be in trouble .People have lost licences for less .

30 minutes ago, Gunman said:

Please take note that if taking the gun or indeed just the barrel and action to a non licenced person for screw cutting ,that unless you are in attendence at all time the "gun" is there you are commiting an offence under the Firearms Act of giving a firearm to an unlicenced person . He in turn is unlawfuly in posecion of a firearm .

Again this is the letter of the law ,but get some stroppy little copper out to make a name or some anti gun senior command and you could be in trouble .People have lost licences for less .

I thought that might be the case. Sound advice again. 👍

22 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

The Law is not totally clear but the legal opinion the Jackson Rifles have and the proof house declined challenge probably due to the fact that any engineer know thread the low pressure end of a barrel doesn’t ‘materially weaken’ the barrel.  

However here comes the crunch for some RFDs their insurance company insists that any barrel work is reproofed before returning it to any customer (trade or private) this doesn’t make it illegal just a corporate risk they won’t take.  

That's as good an answer as you will get! :good:

6 hours ago, Gunman said:

This is what we did many moons ago. The bloke involved could also make prescription lenses at a quarter of the price. Have no idea if he were licensed for either, but we assumed he was as he was the same person RFD's used; we just bypassed the RFD.  

Edited by Scully