Crayfish

Mighty Ruler

4 minutes ago, Bobba said:

Did you not ask the a Environment Agency "Why Not?"

They didn’t say, they just sent a list of postcodes where they do issue licences. The first thing I’m going to do is see if there are Signal Crayfish there, but the landowner seems pretty certain.

7 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

Probably too much risk of catching natives at a guess although why catch and release couldn't be an option I donr know.

Yeah, I wondered about that, another thing I thought might be the risk of catching Otters but a dropnet would remove that possibility.

The most disgusting creatures I have ever dragged from a River - Signals have just about colonised every corner of the UK. If the EA had gotten their fingers out of their backsides years ago maybe the spread could have been stopped. If you do trap them pop down your local Fishmongers and ask for Fish Heads to use as bait.

38 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, what type of water has the landowner ask you to remove the reds from, ?

A river.

58 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

Would an otter get in a crayfish trap? I'd have thought the opening would have been too smal? A tin of tuna with holes I'm is supposed to be good bait. 

Not the ones I’ve made, they only have a 2” opening. Some of those on eBay sold as crayfish traps have larger openings and maybe they could get their head stuck.

Every postcode on the list they gave me is to the south, I think Wolverhampton and Shrewsbury were the most northern. I have read that it’s too cold for them further north, but I’ve also read they’ve been found in Scotland. Has anyone else heard of them further north than the midlands?

Mainly in the south - plague proportions in many Rivers now and I'm amazed that coarse fishing is still a viable sport.They can be found in Scotland but, so far, they have failed to colonise the area like they have the south - I seem to recall that they originally escaped from Stoney Stratford in Bucks. There is a small River near Thornton and I would seriously worry about wading through it - 4 traps can catch 100+ every night. Horrid things - claws are bloomin painful and if you drop them in a field (I used to throw them in a field for the Sea Gulls to eat) they automatically head back towards the water!!

13 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, ok, is it a trout and salmon river ? what about contacting a fishing club in your area and see if they know why you cannot catch the reds as informed by the EA 

No, it coarse fish. I’ll speak to the owner and see what he says. He did tell me someone was trapping about 3 miles away. I’m not too worried about the crayfish, he gave me permission to fish in the river and shoot what I like although unfortunately his woods are too small for a shotgun so looks like I’ll be getting a pcp air rifle.

I live in the northeast and they're all over up here. Local beck is full of them, just wouldn't want to eat anything out of it as it's all horses and cattle along the fields either side that the water runs off into it.

Fishermen have been up in arms about them for years. If ledgering in clear enough water they'd watched the blighters try and eat their bait.

Chicken carcass is good enough to attract them.

They're in Northumberland and have been for some years so they're in Scotland too.

Edited by figgy

26 minutes ago, old man said:

Seem to remember an official native trap/relocation going on roundabout there? Maybe trying to discourage interferences?

I put my reason for catching them was to eat them, if I’d said it was because they were destabilising the riverbank I wonder if it would have been granted?

8 minutes ago, figgy said:

I live in the northeast and they're all over up here. Local beck is full of them, just wouldn't want to eat anything out of it as it's all horses and cattle along the fields either side that the water runs off into it.

Fishermen have been up in arms about them for years. If ledgering in clear enough water they'd watched the blighters try and eat their bait.

Chicken carcass is good enough to attract them.

I caught loads about 30 years ago on a rod and line in a local canal, I suppose they would have been natives though. When float fishing it was bobbing under all the time with false bites, it got really annoying. I’m going to try a bit of pike fishing next week, a deadbait should tell me exactly what, if anything, is in there.

3 hours ago, Mighty Ruler said:

A river.

Not the ones I’ve made, they only have a 2” opening. Some of those on eBay sold as crayfish traps have larger openings and maybe they could get their head stuck.

Every postcode on the list they gave me is to the south, I think Wolverhampton and Shrewsbury were the most northern. I have read that it’s too cold for them further north, but I’ve also read they’ve been found in Scotland. Has anyone else heard of them further north than the midlands?

Definitely found in the upper stretches of the Clyde . Not sure about the numbers though.

3 hours ago, Mighty Ruler said:

A river.

Stockport river goyt use to have a problem with them seems to have carmed down now although I have caught one on a hair rigged boilie before and also had my rigs damaged near the hook bait which I can only presume is crayfish. I had thought of applying for the tags to trap them myself although from the list you've received maybe it isnt worth it 

Here is the full list

AL   St Albans   All

B   Birmingham   B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B6, B7, B10, B12, B13, B14, B15, B16, B17, B18, B19, B20, B21, B25, B27, B28, B29, B30, B31, B32, B38, B45, B47, B48, B49, B50, B60, B61, B62, B63, B64, B65, B66, B67, B68, B69, B70, B71, B80, B94, B95, B96, B97, B98

BA   Bath   All

BH   Bournemouth   BH1, BH2, BH3, BH4, BH5, BH6, BH7, BH8, BH9, BH10, BH11, BH12, BH13, BH14, BH15, BH16, BH17, BH18, BH19, BH20, BH21, BH22, BH31

BN   Brighton   All

BR   Bromley   All

BS   Bristol   All

CB   Cambridge   All

CM   Chelmsford   All

CO   Colchester   All

CR   Croydon   All

CT   Canterbury   CT5, CT19, CT20, CT21

CV   Coventry   CV1, CV2, CV3, CV4, CV5, CV6, CV8, CV21, CV22, CV23, CV31, CV32, CV33, CV34, CV35, CV36, CV37

DA   Dartford   All

DT   Dorchester   All

DY   Dudley   All

E   London E   All

EC   London EC   All

EN   Enfield   All

EX   Exeter   EX19, EX20, EX21, EX22, EX23, EX31, EX32, EX33, EX34, EX35, EX35, EX36, EX37, EX38, EX39

GL   Gloucester   GL1, GL2, GL3, GL4, GL5, GL6, GL7, GL8, GL9, GL10, GL11, GL12, GL13, GL14, GL18, GL19, GL20, GL51, GL52, GL53, GL54, GL55, GL56

GU   Guildford   All

HA   Harrow   All

HP   Hemel Hempstead   All

IG   Ilford   All

IP   Ipswich   IP1, IP2, IP3, IP4, IP5, IP6, IP7, IP8, IP9, IP10, IP11, IP24, IP26, IP27, IP28, IP29, IP30, IP31

KT   Kingston   All

LD   Llandrindod Wells   LD7, LD8

LE   Leicester   LE160

LU   Luton   All

ME   Maidstone   All

MK   Milton Keynes   All

N   London N   All

NG   Nottingham   NG33

NN   Northampton   All

NR   Norwich   NR1, NR2, NR3, NR4, NR5, NR6, NR7, NR8, NR9, NR10, NR11, NR12, NR13, NR14, NR15, NR16, NR18, NR19, NR20, NR21, NR22, NR23, NR24, NR25, NR26, NR27, NR28, NR29, NR30, NR31, NR32, NR33, NR34, NR35

NW   London NW   All

OX   Oxford   All

PE   Peterborough   PE1, PE2, PE3, PE4, PE5, PE6, PE7, PE8, PE9, PE10, PE11, PE12, PE14, PE15, PE16, PE17, PE18, PE19, PE20, PE30, PE31, PE32, PE33, PE34, PE37, PE38

PL   Plymouth   All

PO   Portsmouth and Isle of WightAll  

RG   Reading   All  

RH   Redhill   All

RM   Romford   All

SE   London SE   All

SG   Stevenage   All

SL   Slough   All

SM   Sutton   All

SN   Swindon   All

SO   Southampton   SO14, SO15, SO16, SO17, SO18, SO19, SO20, SO21, SO22, SO23, SO24, SO31, SO32, SO50, SO51, SO52, SO53

SP   Salisbury   All

SS   Southend   All

SW   London SW   All

SY   Shrewsbury   SY1, SY2, SY3, SY4, SY5, SY6, SY7, SY8, SY9, SY10, SY11, SY15, SY16, SY17, SY21, SY22

TA   Taunton   TA1, TA2, TA5, TA6, TA7, TA8, TA9, TA10, TA11, TA12, TA13, TA14, TA15, TA16, TA17, TA18, TA19

TF   Telford   All

TN   Tunbridge Wells   TN1, TN2, TN3, TN4, TN5, TN6, TN7, TN8, TN9, TN10, TN12, TN13, TN14, TN15, TN16, TN17, TN18, TN19, TN20, TN21, TN22, TN28, TN29, TN30, TN31, TN32, TN33, TN34, TN35, TN36, TN37, TN38, TN39, TN40

TQ   Torquay   All

TR   Truro   All

TW   Twickenham   All

UB   Uxbridge   All

W   London W   All

WC   London WC   All

WS   Walsall   WS1, WS2, WS3, WS4, WS5, WS6, WS8, WS9, WS10

WV   Wolverhampton   WV1, WV2, WV3, WV4, WV5, WV6, WV7, WV12, WV13, WV14, WV15, WV16

WD   Watford   All

WR   Worcester   All

Loch Ken south west Scotland,they had a boat catching crays and were monitored by the Scottish office ,they caught several thousand ,as per it ran out of funding and was stopped,,they reckoned that they never even made a dent in the population 

Edited by clam6364
Spelling mistake

Not one northern postcode. Wonder if it's a different office for this half of the country.

Looking online local fishing clubs are up in arms at the lack of help from ea on crayfish.

No licence as they don't think it's a big enough problem yet and trapping may make matters worse. Eh non native species wreaking havoc and you can't do anything but do catch one and you break the law if you put it back.

Hmm a cunning plan. Oh dear all my nets have fallen in the water with food in, can't get them out now. Tomorrow should be ok 😋

Edited by figgy

3 hours ago, clam6364 said:

Loch Ken south west Scotland,they had a boat catching crays and were monitored by the Scottish office ,they caught several thousand ,as per it ran out of funding and was stopped,,they reckoned that they never even made a dent in the population 

Lock Ken fish are doing well on them, now they adapted their diets.

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Not one northern postcode. Wonder if it's a different office for this half of the country.

Looking online local fishing clubs are up in arms at the lack of help from ea on crayfish.

No licence as they don't think it's a big enough problem yet and trapping may make matters worse. Eh non native species wreaking havoc and you can't do anything but do catch one and you break the law if you put it back.

Hmm a cunning plan. Oh dear all my nets have fallen in the water with food in, can't get them out now. Tomorrow should be ok 😋

Yeah, I think Nottingham’s the most northerly location. I don’t know why they don’t just say the licences are available only in the south, it would have saved me the trouble of filling the forms in, looking up the grid references and making 3 traps.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:29, Stephen-H said:

Stockport river goyt use to have a problem with them seems to have carmed down now although I have caught one on a hair rigged boilie before and also had my rigs damaged near the hook bait which I can only presume is crayfish. I had thought of applying for the tags to trap them myself although from the list you've received maybe it isnt worth it 

Hi Stephen,

Don't bother mate, I asked and got a total no for the Goyt, when I asked why, they said in case I inadvertently transferred the disease they carry to another river. I used to watch the Herons taking  and eating them on the far bank of the river near Bredbury.

Atb scobydog