First Day

JTaylor91

First of all a massive thank you to JDog for letting me tag along with him for the day, brilliant chap.

Well my first day on the pigeons and it was brilliant. Met JDog bang on midday, loaded up and headed to a flight line. We could see quite a few birds coming and going but most seemed to be going to the left or right of us. However it wasn’t long before some started coming within range. My first shot equated to one dead pigeon and I couldn’t of been happier. After a couple more JDog set up on the left to nab some that were going out that way including a 60-70 yard cracker. JDog then took us for a scout on another field where we could see 50 or 60? Coming and going from a hedge on the edge of some rape. Set up in the hedge about 30 yards apart with a couple of birds on sticks on the edge of the rape. We had quite a few shots here and proved more successful than JDog expected, after an hour or so we were up to 18 picked up with a couple unaccounted for. Also a special mention to Jasper, if my sprocker turns out like him I would be over the moon. They do share a similar disdain for nettles. Brilliant afternoon. 

1 hour ago, JTaylor91 said:

First of all a massive thank you to JDog for letting me tag along with him for the day, brilliant chap.

Well my first day on the pigeons and it was brilliant. Met JDog bang on midday, loaded up and headed to a flight line. We could see quite a few birds coming and going but most seemed to be going to the left or right of us. However it wasn’t long before some started coming within range. My first shot equated to one dead pigeon and I couldn’t of been happier. After a couple more JDog set up on the left to nab some that were going out that way including a 60-70 yard cracker. JDog then took us for a scout on another field where we could see 50 or 60? Coming and going from a hedge on the edge of some rape. Set up in the hedge about 30 yards apart with a couple of birds on sticks on the edge of the rape. We had quite a few shots here and proved more successful than JDog expected, after an hour or so we were up to 18 picked up with a couple unaccounted for. Also a special mention to Jasper, if my sprocker turns out like him I would be over the moon. They do share a similar disdain for nettles. Brilliant afternoon. 

Well done JD for another interesting invite nice report, did you run out of cartridges?

59 minutes ago, JDog said:

Over the past few years I have been out pigeon shooting with a number of novices including Jacko, JT91, Motty and Muncher. What I have learned from those outings is that everyone shoots better than I do.

I wish but one day I’ll better you👍Well I hope I do 🤣🤣🤣
 Well done Jt91 it a great feeling and jdog is a great mentor and a top bloke for giving us novices of break to have ago  out in field with him 

Edited by Jacko3275

Cheers all, with my newly gained knowledge I may of found my first flight line on the usual dog walk. I have never noticed it until you really start looking. Time to chase the tractors down in the area. Hopefully I will eventually get some perms local and when I’m no longer a novice take somebody out with me and pass some knowledge on myself.

Well little update. Nabbed a farmer while out on the dog walk today. He wasn’t the head honcho but was a decent older chap, had a chat and he’s taken my number to pass on, he isn’t aware of anybody who already shoots on the land and mentioned that the rape gets hammered. Nothing will probably come of it but it’s a step in the right direction. I’ve got some cards on order to hand out. Shame they haven’t turned up yet. Fingers crossed.

Edited by JTaylor91