How to beeswax polish a knife handle?

Miroku_Dave

Morning all, 

I've just finished a knife with a rather nice Purple Heart wooden handle. I've put a few coats of shellac on and it does look nice, however someone mentioned i should finish it with a coat of beeswax and a polish. 

My question is.... How do i apply the beeswax?? Do i use it on my polishing wheel like normal compound? Or melt it and apply like I would if i was bulling some boots? Or a totally different way??

I have no idea!

Thanks, 

Dave

6 minutes ago, humperdingle said:

I’d say that if you’ve applied shellac, the beeswax probably won’t soak in to the grain of the wood, and will just wipe off.

That's what i thought mate, someone else mentioned polishing with wire wool first!? It seems a bit extreme though?

Try some silicon spray or grease, you only need a very small amount, apply to your hand and rub it into the wood, it will give a nice sheen, its also very water proof and none greasy, I treat the wood and metal work on my guns with it, its a surface protection so will need re-applying.

For what it’s worth, and as no expert in these matters, my chosen regime (as advised on these pages predominantly) is sanding to as fine a finish as possible (I usually go to 1500 grit) applying 5 to 7 coats of danish oil with 000 wire wool, wiping off after 5 to 10 minutes then polishing after at least 5 hrs. Finally, applying with beeswax with fingers then polishing to desired finish. This gives, in my opinion a finish that is good to look at, feels great and is protected. Also the oil will show up any and all blemishes that I have missed or ignored. This works for me but I am sure there are many other ways and materials available to achieve the look/feel that you want. IMHO these pages are an invaluable source of information and advice, I quite often look back or ask a question as there are many skilful artisans who freely and willingly pass on their knowledge 

First rub it down get the shellac off, bring it back to at least an 800 grit then a coats of boiled linseed oil wipe off any that doesn't soak in after two coats.

I would use carnauba wax, melt it on to the wood work it into the grain with fine wire wool and buff the granny out of it, repeat with the wire wool and again with the wax for three times, then when its nice and shiney hit it again with 400 grit up to 800 grit should go white, wipe it off and apply a coat of car body wax preferably one that contains carnauba wax and again buff the granny out of it. And it should almost have a glass like finish.Auto Glym is a good one.

Edited by fatchap