Pattern testing circle

Ok I feel a bit  silly asking this question, but I'll ask anyhow.

When marking out the 30inch circle on paper or cardboard with a nail and string, do you measure out 15inches  from centre point? therefore when you have the circle completed you will have a 30'' circle. Or do you measure out 30 inches from the centre point? Seems like a novice question but  it's something I'm not 100% sure on. Thanks.

Edited by SuperGoose75

5 minutes ago, bishop said:

better marking a centre point only--shoot your round off and draw the 30" circle from the centre point of the pattern as it shows on the paper AFTER THE SHOTS FIRED

^ This......draw the 30” circle, using the densest concentration of shot as a centre point!

I use a piece of wood about 17” long .A nail fixed at one end and a pencil fixed at the other exactly 15” apart.I put up pattern paper  at 40 yards away.Shoot at mark in middle of paper then eyeball the pattern to find centre of pattern and put your nail on it . The mark you shot at  not always middle of pattern.Then work out percentage.Your 1/2 choke could be shooting any%.If you’ve never done this before try different cartridges and shot sizes you will learn something.

Thanks for the advice fellas👍

I usually just operate with trial and error in the field. I had a duck load that I was happy with that added a lot of confidence to my shooting. I had what I have now before! And being a pretty expensive cartridge I  just didn't have the same confidence as with other ones.

It could be a simple case of changing chokes ''which I rarely ever do'' . 

I also bought some expensive steel shot to try out as it is looking ever likely that our days are numbered with lead shot here! I hope it will not be the case.