Browning B525

sam triple

Early ones are not as nicely balanced as later ones, also some early field models have the older invector shirt chokes and tighter bore barels fitted. 

With all guns check for abuse and signs of wear. Take forend off and hold the action with barrels pointing up and give a shake look for movement. Look for galling at the knuckles, tear marks in the metal if not being lubed. Cracks in the stock, bluing worn through. Choke condition to have they been chews up by being stuck in the gun and forcebly removed. 

Only thing I'd be looking for is a Grade 6 ultimate variant in good used condition. Beautiful looking guns that hold value.

Sometimes find one that doesn't reset the trigger for the second shot - 99% of the time it's caused by wearing a glove or hanging on the trigger. Always found mine a bit "soulless" if you get my meaning? Never really gelled with it although it functioned perfectly. 

Edited by bruno22rf

I tried some 525s a while back and they don’t really do anything for me. Had a couple of silver pigeons since. 

However, I just picked up a 2015 model 525 in a dealer last week, while idly looking through the guns for sale.

It has an adjustable and extended stock (16” - but I’m tall with long arms) and a trap fore end. Can’t believe the difference in fit/feel- like this is what I’ve been missing all these years. Feels like an extension of my arm, pretty much bought it on the spot. Hence my Beretta (much better condition and better looking gun imo) now relegated to the classifieds...

figgy, bought mine about 5 years ago but sold it after 3 years ish - can't really put my finger on why I never loved the thing, just didn't. Just before I sold it I picked up a Miroku multi off this very forum for pennies and it fit's like a glove, owes me nothing and has "soul" because it's an older gun, multi, 28" everything I could ever want for next to nothing - nail in the 525's coffin. Been shooting the Miroku for the last couple of years and it just does it for me - it's an older model with a top sliding barrel catch?

The 525 action is closely based on a design that goes back almost 100 years and consequently, when compared with the more modern Italian equivalents they can seem somewhat agricultural, but apart from the minor issues mentioned above, they are rock solid and last for ever.

Basically, you have to be a Browning fan to like them, but there's no denying they're outstanding value.

had a new silver pigeon, looked nice,but had problems ejecting, got it sorted in the end, my shooting pall had a 325 when I shot it I thought it felt right, got rid off the berretta and got a 525 sporter glad I did solid as a rock and does what it says on the tin, used a lot no hint of a problem.

8 hours ago, zipdog said:

525 are good guns, criticisms are:

1. rust like hell due to not enough chrome

2.firing pins are easily damaged, although easily replaceable.

3. 725 were better made in all regards.

For the record I have a 525 and it does all i need.

Are you actually saying that the new chrome lined bores are not up to it? Where do you get this info from?  Anyone else aware of this problem?

28 minutes ago, bigroomboy said:

I don't think zipdog means the lining of the barrels, I thinks its not enough chrome in the metal of the action etc. I think that's right as my Cynergy was rusting in front of my eyes yesterday!

I see. Although not heard of it. Wont happen to me. Guns never get wet!

The newer barrels on the crown and English field Miroku are not chrome lined but the metal has a high chrome content, according to a dealer I spoke to. Easier to change the fix chokes. Not sure on the multichoked barrels. The one on my Maxus the chrome part is fine the bit near changer where bolt locks up isn't the best.

4 hours ago, bigroomboy said:

I don't think zipdog means the lining of the barrels, I thinks its not enough chrome in the metal of the action etc. I think that's right as my Cynergy was rusting in front of my eyes yesterday!

The barrels are fine. The action and chambers however, especially on the earlier 525 are appalling. 

4 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Are you actually saying that the new chrome lined bores are not up to it? Where do you get this info from?  Anyone else aware of this problem?

The barrels are fine. The action and chambers however, especially on the earlier 525 are appalling. 

Where do i get this info from; Personal experience mainly. I have several guns and none have any rust problems, except the 525.

I've never had issues with the Cynergy under normal conditions and that's been in a bit of wet but yesterday as very wet all day and there was some surface rusting. Its not a deal breaker but you would have to sort the gun out as soon as you get home and none the worse. Don't leave it til the next day but then you should never do that when its soaking wet.