Browning B525

sam triple

Any part of any gun will rust under the right "wrong" conditions. My guns are kept in near perfect conditions and never out in the rain. But just in case, they are wiped down with ACF 50 before every outing.

Bored I have done lots of tests with just about every "rust proofer" you can name I have a workshop full of cans. You will have to believe me but ACF 50 is the only one I find works. Any oil is better than no oil but outside on bare steel ACF really works.

7 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Any part of any gun will rust under the right "wrong" conditions. My guns are kept in near perfect conditions and never out in the rain. But just in case, they are wiped down with ACF 50 before every outing.

Bored I have done lots of tests with just about every "rust proofer" you can name I have a workshop full of cans. You will have to believe me but ACF 50 is the only one I find works. Any oil is better than no oil but outside on bare steel ACF really works.

ACF 50 is brilliant stuff use it on my bikes even used it on my hatsan semi around the piston crud just wiped off after a few hundred cartridges thru it ,bit more expensive than wd40 etc but worth it

5 hours ago, sam triple said:

ACF 50 is brilliant stuff use it on my bikes even used it on my hatsan semi around the piston crud just wiped off after a few hundred cartridges thru it ,bit more expensive than wd40 etc but worth it

Same here, used it on the bike and around the house. Nothing comes near it. I've been using it on my B525 since bought it from new (2018) and still looks like new.

I do a bit of rust bluing/blacking which requires the barrels to be completely de greased. Barrels treated with ACF50 are very difficult to do this. Even soaking in a strong caustic solution has difficulty. It seems the ACF gets into the pores of the steel. 

If you are going to use it just remember it's designed to stop rust and corrosion It's not a lubricator.

2 hours ago, DUNKS said:

I do a bit of rust bluing/blacking which requires the barrels to be completely de greased. Barrels treated with ACF50 are very difficult to do this. Even soaking in a strong caustic solution has difficulty. It seems the ACF gets into the pores of the steel. 

If you are going to use it just remember it's designed to stop rust and corrosion It's not a lubricator.

Dunks, thanks for the insight, good to know that is as good as it says it is.

It took me a while to realise that ACF50 is not a lubricator but thankfully i did not had to learn the hard way. it is used in conjunction with the Napier oil and cleaner and they work like magic together.

Had my 525 for 3 1/2 years now and never had any rust problems but i clean it after every outing .

go for one post 2015 because they changed quite a few things and they are better for it. The inflex pad , nicer wood, better balance i. The rifles and to me the trigger feels better on these.

i have had problems with pitting on the firing pin but its not affected the firing so not really an issue. The action remains stiff because of the way the foreend works which is bad because its not a eacu to open as say a berreta of the same age but good because it still feels new.

there are the inly bad things really. They handle really nicely , dont recoil much, have lovely triggers which all aids concerntraiting on the shooting . Most of the time i dont even notice the gun .

if they fit you then i would recommend buying one, nice shotguns.

Browning

Yes the newer models do seem an improvement post 2013 but it's only really cosmetic. Butt pad, oiled stock and a few other bits but my 2001 525 is a lovely gun with no faults at all and it's the rarer 26" barrel model. which suits my style of shooting.

I own two B525s. A Grade 1 2016 Invector Plus model and a Grade 5 Prestige Invector 2007 model.  I love them. Tough reliable and have never let me down. I've put everything from clay loads to 3" HP steel through them without issue. Both have been soaked but I've never seen rust anywhere. 

In my experience,  they are bomb proof. 

Strange how with production line guns that some folk consider them to be poor and others love them. You would think all the guns would be made the same. I am sure Browning don't keep altering  the spec of the metal or the machining tolerances.

Or do some folk expect guns to operate time and time again with no maintenance or a bit of TLC?

• 1 month later...

so after initially by passing this gun and going for the Franchi shot gun with 12&20 bore  barrels only for my mate to persuade me that his need for it was greater than mine ,contacted the seller to see if this was still for sale ,it was  so I got another knocked £100 off it ,owner says hes only fired a100 shells thru it and its as tight as the day it came out of the factory ,got it half the price of a one new

browning.jpg